• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Part 2: A-Level Panel Page Valuations by Artist/Run
7 7

260 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, dichotomy said:

I presume everyone saw the result of the auction on the Tradd Moore unpublished piece. Valid speculation has a SSB cover selling for 50k. I wonder what even a “C” page would go for (though in my experience Tradd doesn’t produce C pages). 

This will probably set the floor for Tradd's work. I think I would call this a C page - no hero + a blank panel. Still lots of fantastic detail and action though.

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FSEARCH.ASP%3FFocusedOnly%3D1%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3Dtradd%26ItemType%3DCA%23Item_1453466&id=1453466&itemType=1

Edited by Varanis

4 hours ago, Bill C said:

From my perspective, one of the biggest changes in the hobby over the time I've been in it (which is closer to maybe 12, not 20 years- at least not "full time") is that it seems people are a bit more open and less secretive with data points.

Now of course I could be wrong, as over that time I went from having no contacts to making a large amount of contacts, so that may be a bias. But it does still seem people are more willing to cheerfully help out- even those we compete against (on a friendly level) for art.

That's good to hear.  And yes Bill I remember when you first got involved.  And when you first started CAF.  Good times.

Judging by the current bid on the Wrightson A level panel page on Heritage right now, I'm thinking we may need to bump Wrightson Swamp Thing into the 30K+ category.  Let's see.  Looking at the others in the 20-30K range, Wrightson Swamp Thing does look like the one ready to move to the next level.  Although I suppose the current auction listing could qualify as an A+ page.

Edited by heartened

13 hours ago, heartened said:

Judging by the current bid on the Wrightson A level panel page on Heritage right now, I'm thinking we may need to bump Wrightson Swamp Thing into the 30K+ category.  Let's see.  Looking at the others in the 20-30K range, Wrightson Swamp Thing does look like the one ready to move to the next level.  Although I suppose the current auction listing could qualify as an A+ page.

Agree with you Hari.  Solid A example-- a page I owned until a few years ago but not the current consignor-- that I wouldn't be surprised seeing $50K+ with BP.  Gorgeous page deserving of attention.  Since 2015 (when several pages hit HA and PIH auctions), Heritage has offered just 6 panel pages from the Wrightson run with 3 of them not showing ST at all. 

47 minutes ago, GreatEscape said:
14 hours ago, heartened said:

Agree with you Hari.  Solid A example-- a page I owned until a few years ago but not the current consignor-- that I wouldn't be surprised seeing $50K+ with BP.  Gorgeous page deserving of attention.  Since 2015 (when several pages hit HA and PIH auctions), Heritage has offered just 6 panel pages from the Wrightson run with 3 of them not showing ST at all. 

I agree that this Heritage page is a rock solid A page. I would happily make it a part of my collection and I lusted after it in another collectors possession for many years. I don't think I would call it an A+ page, but I would have a hard time arguing with someone who saw it as such. This is one of the limitations this price guide has, differentiating between A and A+ pages, as it can be pretty subjective. Not a perfect system, but we should not let the perfect be the enemy of the good. Anyway, you need multiple data points to determine what a piece is worth to you and how far you are willing to stretch, not just this price guide or a given sale at Heritage.

15 minutes ago, stinkininkin said:

I agree that this Heritage page is a rock solid A page. I would happily make it a part of my collection and I lusted after it in another collectors possession for many years. I don't think I would call it an A+ page, but I would have a hard time arguing with someone who saw it as such. This is one of the limitations this price guide has, differentiating between A and A+ pages, as it can be pretty subjective. Not a perfect system, but we should not let the perfect be the enemy of the good. Anyway, you need multiple data points to determine what a piece is worth to you and how far you are willing to stretch, not just this price guide or a given sale at Heritage.

Completely agree.  I have bumped up Wrightson to the over 30K tier based on this consensus.

Hi Hari!  Do we have many, or any, confirmed examples of Byrne MTU panel pages breaking the $10K mark?  I follow these pages pretty closely and have not seen this myself, although some pages at auction have come close.  Thanks, Lee

1 hour ago, Lee B. said:

Hi Hari!  Do we have many, or any, confirmed examples of Byrne MTU panel pages breaking the $10K mark?  I follow these pages pretty closely and have not seen this myself, although some pages at auction have come close.  Thanks, Lee

You know, I questioned that too.  I'm gonna push that down to the 5-10K tier until people can document or confirm prices higher.  So now they are in the same tier as Byrne AF.  Thanks Lee.  Hope you are well!

My comments would be that any semi-decent Neal Adams Avengers page easily breaks 10k right now, let alone a great one. The one sold today was pretty good but I personally would not call that an A-level page. I think the A-level price range would be higher........... and same for Perez as well- no disrespect to the seller of page on HA right now but that page is almost at the bottom of the A-level price range and that is not an A-caliber page in my opinion.

Edited by robert frey
typo

1 hour ago, robert frey said:

My comments would be that any semi-decent Neal Adams Avengers page easily breaks 10k right now, let alone a great one. The one sold today was pretty good but I personally would not call that an A-level page. I think the A-level price range would be higher........... and same for Perez as well- no disrespect to the seller of page on HA right now but that page is almost at the bottom of the A-level range and that is not an A-caliber page in my opinion.

We have N. Adams Avengers in the 10-20K range, are you saying that you think it should be higher?  Usually the Avengers pages have been less than his X-Men or Batman pages, but perhaps that is changing.  Let's hear some opinions or documented sales.  PS, I did like the one on Heritage and personally felt it was an A page.  But, again, some of this is subjective for sure!

27 minutes ago, heartened said:

We have N. Adams Avengers in the 10-20K range, are you saying that you think it should be higher?  Usually the Avengers pages have been less than his X-Men or Batman pages, but perhaps that is changing.  Let's hear some opinions or documented sales.  PS, I did like the one on Heritage and personally felt it was an A page.  But, again, some of this is subjective for sure!

well, the one today sold for 24k.... and the antman page (i am the owner of that one)  was also over 20k. as i said, there have been and are neal adams avengers pages on dealer websites that seem to cost around 12-15k- good pages for sure but not A-level pages and that is what we are talking about here. i'll defer to the adams experts but it there seems to be an uptick in the prices of his art.

4 hours ago, Lee B. said:

A-level pages from MTU 79 absolutely sell for $10K+

48 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

A-level pages from MTU 79 absolutely sell for $10K+

I'm not familiar with the market here, is 79 a special key book in that run?  If so, might qualify as a special case (making them A+ pages, 50-100% more valuation).

3 minutes ago, Varanis said:

That sounds like an exception and shouldn't be a reason to put all MTU Byrne at 10-20k.

My response was to Lee's question about never having seen a Byrne MTU page go for over $10K. 

I suspect several A-level pages would break the $10K barrier now, in particular, those inked by Terry Austin.  Some pages inked by Dave Hunt may have a shot, depending upon the popularity of Spidey's guest-star of the month.