• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Part 2: A-Level Panel Page Valuations by Artist/Run
7 7

260 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

My response was to Lee's question about never having seen a Byrne MTU page go for over $10K. 

Hi Hari!  Do we have many, or any, confirmed examples of Byrne MTU panel pages breaking the $10K mark?  I follow these pages pretty closely and have not seen this myself, although some pages at auction have come close.  Thanks, Lee

I suspect several A-level pages would break the $10K barrier now, in particular, those inked by Terry Austin.  Some pages inked by Dave Hunt may have a shot, depending upon the popularity of Spidey's guest-star of the month.

Got it. My apologies. I should probably be quiet on this one anyways as I have no clue when it comes to that market.

13 hours ago, Varanis said:

That sounds like an exception and shouldn't be a reason to put all MTU Byrne at 10-20k.

Gorgeous page.  Yeah, I would say it's an A+ page.  But, this list can keep changing so we can continue to keep track.

16 hours ago, robert frey said:

well, the one today sold for 24k.... and the antman page (i am the owner of that one)  was also over 20k. as i said, there have been and are neal adams avengers pages on dealer websites that seem to cost around 12-15k- good pages for sure but not A-level pages and that is what we are talking about here. i'll defer to the adams experts but it there seems to be an uptick in the prices of his art.

So, I guess the question is whether Neal Adams Avengers have moved up to the same as X-Men (20-30K), leaving GL and Batman pages in the 10-20K range.  Looks like heading in that direction.  I'm a little hesitant but if others confirm I'm happy to move up for now.  Trust me, I'm willing to push things down as much as push things up, so these can continue to be mutable as new prices are realized.

Regarding Byrne MTU, good catch on the MTU #79 cover Yoram!  I admit I focus a bit more on non-Terry Austin-inked Byrne MTU pages and have been waiting for one of those panel pages to cross the $10K threshold.  But I haven't seen it yet, even with very strong pages, for example:

MTU #60--$9,300 (Nov. 2019) https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/john-byrne-and-dave-hunt-marvel-team-up-60-story-page-16-spider-man-and-yellowjacket-original-art-marvel-1977-/a/7212-94045.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

MTU #68--$9,000 (Aug. 2019) https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/john-byrne-and-bob-wiacek-marvel-team-up-68-story-page-13-spider-man-original-art-marvel-1978-/a/7211-93034.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

MTU #61--$8,866 (Mar. 2019) https://comiclink.com/Auctions/item.asp?back=%2FComicTrack%2FAuctions%2Fbids.asp&id=1299271

MTU #63--$8,400 (Feb. 2019) https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/john-byrne-and-dave-hunt-marvel-team-up-63-story-page-10-iron-fist-and-davos-original-art-marvel-1977-/a/7204-93025.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

So I would concur with Varanis (who has no need to apologize!) that an action-packed splashy Byrne/Austin page from MTU #79 is an outlier and an A+ (A++?) example for now, but maybe not for long.  Best, Lee

ps. I appreciate your thoughtful work on this list Hari!

Just now, Lee B. said:

Regarding Byrne MTU, good catch on the MTU #79 cover Yoram!  I admit I focus a bit more on non-Terry Austin-inked Byrne MTU pages and have been waiting for one of those panel pages to cross the $10K threshold.  But I haven't seen it yet, even with very strong pages, for example:

MTU #60--$9,300 (Nov. 2019) https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/john-byrne-and-dave-hunt-marvel-team-up-60-story-page-16-spider-man-and-yellowjacket-original-art-marvel-1977-/a/7212-94045.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

MTU #68--$9,000 (Aug. 2019) https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/john-byrne-and-bob-wiacek-marvel-team-up-68-story-page-13-spider-man-original-art-marvel-1978-/a/7211-93034.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

MTU #61--$8,866 (Mar. 2019) https://comiclink.com/Auctions/item.asp?back=%2FComicTrack%2FAuctions%2Fbids.asp&id=1299271

MTU #63--$8,400 (Feb. 2019) https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/john-byrne-and-dave-hunt-marvel-team-up-63-story-page-10-iron-fist-and-davos-original-art-marvel-1977-/a/7204-93025.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

So I would concur with Varanis (who has no need to apologize!) that an action-packed splashy Byrne/Austin page from MTU #79 is an outlier and an A+ (A++?) example for now, but maybe not for long.  Best, Lee

ps. I appreciate your thoughtful work on this list Hari!

Wow, great data points!  Ok, will keep it where it is for now.  But, we are getting quite close to the next tier for sure!

Just now, heartened said:

Wow, great data points!  Ok, will keep it where it is for now.  But, we are getting quite close to the next tier for sure!

Indeed!  I don't think it will take long.  As someone who is very fortunate to own a few examples, I don't know whether to be happy or sad!

59 minutes ago, heartened said:

I disagree with this.

I would have a listing for Byrne MTU pages inked by Austin in the $10K+ level.

pages inked by others should be listed in the $5-$10K level

2 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:
3 hours ago, heartened said:

I disagree with this.

Paying extra because of the inker? Madness!

(:

2 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

I disagree with this.

This sounds fair. ok.

On 1/3/2021 at 9:51 AM, heartened said:

Hi Harry!  We can add them in.  The ST 101 pages seem to be hitting lower end of 10-20K.  I can put them there as they are solid A pages due to the importance of the book.

Hari Naidu

So ST 101 page went for 17.4K, higher than you guessed but still in the 10-20K range. But the ST 114 page 28.8K. Does this affect positioning, or is this just a case of an art from a special key comic? I am not very knowledgeable about this subject and am just viewing this as a learning experience. I do have a personal interest as I have two pages from ST 114, perhaps not quite as nice as the one just auctioned off by Heritage but still pretty good. Not that I am interesting in selling either of them whatever the current value.

33 minutes ago, hmendryk said:

So ST 101 page went for 17.4K, higher than you guessed but still in the 10-20K range. But the ST 114 page 28.8K. Does this affect positioning, or is this just a case of an art from a special key comic? I am not very knowledgeable about this subject and am just viewing this as a learning experience. I do have a personal interest as I have two pages from ST 114, perhaps not quite as nice as the one just auctioned off by Heritage but still pretty good. Not that I am interesting in selling either of them whatever the current value.

I suspect it's the Cap (tryout, acrobat) presence in that book that bumped it up.  My guess is that makes it a special case outlier A+ page for some.

10 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

I disagree with this.

Ahh...Byrne MTU pages inked By Austin = Issue 79 only right?

so is it really Austin or that it is a super cool Red Sonja story...either way it feels like an A+ situation...this list is going to get nuts if Hari breaks out every exceptional issue...but I'll live either way without a MTU 79 page :(

4 hours ago, heartened said:

I suspect it's the Cap (tryout, acrobat) presence in that book that bumped it up.  My guess is that makes it a special case outlier A+ page for some.

Both ST #101 and #114 are semi-key Kirby stories so per previous conversations they don't really reflect the prices on Kirby HT from ST.  

10 hours ago, mtlevy1 said:

Ahh...Byrne MTU pages inked By Austin = Issue 79 only right?

so is it really Austin or that it is a super cool Red Sonja story...either way it feels like an A+ situation...this list is going to get nuts if Hari breaks out every exceptional issue...but I'll live either way without a MTU 79 page :(

And this is where I'm out of my element.  Mark, I agree with you.  Safer to just have "those in the know" understand that the Austin inks on that issue make them A+ pages.  I'll drop it back down.  You are correct, key issues will always be higher and people have to just understand those exceptions.  I will adjust the intro "key" to discuss what an A+ page is in more detail.

24 minutes ago, Bill C said:

Yeah, Strange Tales 101 and 114 aren't good markers for the list you're doing here, as those are obviously key books.

It's kind of like the Flash 137 panel page that went for 13.2K yesterday. That's an insane price for a SA Flash panel page- maybe a record? But once again, that is a key issue, and not only that, a key page in the story- one which sees the JSA reforming in the silver age. So I wouldn't use that one to prove A-list Flash Cinfa pages should be in the 5-10K range or over.

There were a couple other SA Cinfa Flash pages at HA yesterday, very arguably in the A-list area for content, which went for 3.8K (although this page may have some damage?) and 4.8K.

So while A-list (not A+) SA Flash pages could very easily regularly go over 3-5K, and they feel like they should (but I'm biased), and we've seen an A list battle page from #153 go way above that 3-5K grouping, the bottom line is we aren't really seeing that on the regular in public sales at this point.

Thanks Bill.  We were waiting for those price points in the HA to see where to go.  I will drop it down for now.  This is where we look at the list and shake our heads how Cinfa Flash can be so low.  And of course, that's how they start going up too LOL.

Great topic Heartened! Thank you so much for accumulating so much info in one thread... I can’t imagine how much time was/is spent doing so. It’s fascinating to hear everyone’s opinions on the subject... especially for an OA newbie.

I’m curious about the opinions regarding James O’Barr’s Crow. This work is of particular interest to me, but I’ve not been able to find too much information in the way of pricing/valuations for his published work. I’ve made plenty of private inquiries and those that own what I consider A and A+ panel pages place a value on the work above $5000, with many asking close to $10k or more. Private inquiries/sales may not be indicative of FMV, but the feedback I’ve received has been fairly consistent with asking prices between $5-10k. Again, I haven’t been able to find much in the way of published sales. Pricing also seems to be dependent or determined by, in part, whether or not the work is from the original 4 books (pain, fear, irony, & despair) published by Caliber Comics or book 5 (death) published by Tundra 2 years after. I’m not sure why that matters as both would be published OA and the art was, as I have come to understand, created at the same time, but it seems to have some affect. 

Anyway, just curious as to the Boards thoughts. Thanks again for taking the time to do this... it’s really great info.

1 hour ago, MDK@cgc said:

Great topic Heartened! Thank you so much for accumulating so much info in one thread... I can’t imagine how much time was/is spent doing so. It’s fascinating to hear everyone’s opinions on the subject... especially for an OA newbie.

I’m curious about the opinions regarding James O’Barr’s Crow. This work is of particular interest to me, but I’ve not been able to find too much information in the way of pricing/valuations for his published work. I’ve made plenty of private inquiries and those that own what I consider A and A+ panel pages place a value on the work above $5000, with many asking close to $10k or more. Private inquiries/sales may not be indicative of FMV, but the feedback I’ve received has been fairly consistent with asking prices between $5-10k. Again, I haven’t been able to find much in the way of published sales. Pricing also seems to be dependent or determined by, in part, whether or not the work is from the original 4 books (pain, fear, irony, & despair) published by Caliber Comics or book 5 (death) published by Tundra 2 years after. I’m not sure why that matters as both would be published OA and the art was, as I have come to understand, created at the same time, but it seems to have some affect. 

Anyway, just curious as to the Boards thoughts. Thanks again for taking the time to do this... it’s really great info.

Thanks, and call me Hari.  I don't know the Crow market, but with a lot of art cherished and in limited supply it may be exceedingly hard to pry art out of the few collections that have held them for years.  I have a lot of Miracleman, Grendel, and a few other comparable characters and what it would take to get them out of my collection vs. what they would fetch at auction may be two different things.  In general, you'll probably have to pay significantly more to get it out of me, because I myself would pay higher than FMV to get them myself!  With that said, I would not be surprised at the prices you are quoting. 

Let's hear what others say, if there are any experts on the Crow mini-series market.  I'll add him to the 3-5K for now, but consensus might vote to bump it up.

Edited by heartened

My first comment (probably won't be my last). "A" pages from Gene Colan Tales of Suspense (Iron Man) should be in the $10-20k. Great page several years ago sold on Heritage for over $20k, and a really nice page (but he is fighting a soldier not a villain) went for $12k six months ago at Heritage. I know I would buy several "A" pages for over $10k if they became available.

Great list. I'm building a spreadsheet of your info and will try to constantly track actual sales to see the trends.