• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Part 2: A-Level Panel Page Valuations by Artist/Run
7 7

260 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Rick2you2 said:

I just wanted to throw out the point that great artists are still great artists. So for those who want to find great art, but not pay these prices, yet need guidance, you can always look what they did on other books, preferably around the same period. 

This is so true. For example people only wanted Byrne X-men for a while but now everything else he did has gone up. It was all good!  Just some runs more popular with higher demand. That’s what these lists over time show us. 

2 hours ago, Bill C said:

Not sure about Flash 2up in the 5-10K range for A level panel pages, based on known/public auction results (unless my memory is fading, which is possible). I know an A level content battle page from 153 did sell in that range on HA in the last few years IIRC, but that's the only example I can think of off the top of my head.

Several pages sold in the last HA for very cheap, although not A level (and possibly damaged?). There are I think 9 SA Cinfa Flash 2up pages in the current HA, a couple being A level content, so we'll see more data points in a couple weeks.

Had it lower but someone suggested moving it up. Like a wiki page it’ll eventually be correct as we have more eyes commenting. Agree we might as well wait for those hammers and then adjust as needed. 

For Zeck Secret Wars pages, are the A pages really worth that much now? B and C pages sell for around 1,500-2,000. There aren’t that many splashes in the series, so A pages from this run are mostly great panel pages, right? I have 3 Zeck SW pages I’d consider in the range of A pages (one Layton, too), but I’m not sure I’d value any but one at around 5K. The other two I’d price a bit less. Obviously, I’d prefer for you all to be correct 😁.

Also, instead of alphabetical, would it maybe be more helpful to slot them into their value order within each price range? 

2 hours ago, Latverian Tourism Board said:

For Zeck Secret Wars pages, are the A pages really worth that much now? B and C pages sell for around 1,500-2,000. There aren’t that many splashes in the series, so A pages from this run are mostly great panel pages, right? I have 3 Zeck SW pages I’d consider in the range of A pages (one Layton, too), but I’m not sure I’d value any but one at around 5K. The other two I’d price a bit less. Obviously, I’d prefer for you all to be correct 😁.

Also, instead of alphabetical, would it maybe be more helpful to slot them into their value order within each price range? 

I can vouch for the fact that I've sold "nicer" Zeck pages from Secret Wars for over $5k.  The pages from #8 and ones with Black Spidey on them command a bit of a premium.  It's also true that there aren't too many "A" level loose pages that are loose - many of the loose pages have stats on them or might be from some of the ghost inkers like Art Nichols.  Only Zeck pages from issues #6, 7, 8, 9, 11 & 12 are out there in the wild.  Some of the better individual pages are from the ones that aren't broken up (#1, 2, 3 & 10) so the market hasn't really been tested on them.   Because there are few "great" pages, that's why there's a premium attached to them.

It's rare to see a Zeck Cap panel page reach the $5k range, but they are starting to approach that.  "A" level Zeck Punisher Limited Series pages are even rarer in the wild as #1 & #2 are still complete.  An "A" level page from Punisher #3 hasn't surfaced yet and there's really only one "A" level page from #4 that's changed hands in recent years.  That was in the $20-30k range so that those should probably be bumped up.  You might be able to get an "A" level page from Return to Big Nothing for $5-10k.  

Also, other Marvel #1 pages (in addition to X-Men #1) are selling for over $100k.  A nice Everett Daredevil #1 page sold over $125k a couple years ago and I'd imagine nice Avengers #1 pages are in that range although I haven't seen one sell recently.  But, asking prices on them have been north of that.   

BWS Weapon X pages have been on the rise as of late... seems that they may now be in that $60k+ range.  

1 hour ago, comiconxion said:

I can vouch for the fact that I've sold "nicer" Zeck pages from Secret Wars for over $5k.  The pages from #8 and ones with Black Spidey on them command a bit of a premium.  It's also true that there aren't too many "A" level loose pages that are loose - many of the loose pages have stats on them or might be from some of the ghost inkers like Art Nichols.  Only Zeck pages from issues #6, 7, 8, 9, 11 & 12 are out there in the wild.  Some of the better individual pages are from the ones that aren't broken up (#1, 2, 3 & 10) so the market hasn't really been tested on them.   Because there are few "great" pages, that's why there's a premium attached to them.

It's rare to see a Zeck Cap panel page reach the $5k range, but they are starting to approach that.  "A" level Zeck Punisher Limited Series pages are even rarer in the wild as #1 & #2 are still complete.  An "A" level page from Punisher #3 hasn't surfaced yet and there's really only one "A" level page from #4 that's changed hands in recent years.  That was in the $20-30k range so that those should probably be bumped up.  You might be able to get an "A" level page from Return to Big Nothing for $5-10k.  

Also, other Marvel #1 pages (in addition to X-Men #1) are selling for over $100k.  A nice Everett Daredevil #1 page sold over $125k a couple years ago and I'd imagine nice Avengers #1 pages are in that range although I haven't seen one sell recently.  But, asking prices on them have been north of that.   

BWS Weapon X pages have been on the rise as of late... seems that they may now be in that $60k+ range.  

Thanks buddy.  Nice comments.  Was waiting for people to mention DD 1 and Avengers 1.  It's hard to know where to put them without firm data, but will update the list with them and see what people think.  Your data on Zeck as usual is very helpful.  The BWS X pages only a few albeit stellar prices, I put it in the 40K plus until it shows reproducibility.

1 hour ago, Noob19 said:

Does is matter that Capullo himself prices his better Batman panel pages in the next (higher) bracket? Was just perusing his site...

My sense here is we often have to see what the secondary market does.  Sometimes it goes up, sometimes down.

1 hour ago, Noob19 said:

Does is matter that Capullo himself prices his better Batman panel pages in the next (higher) bracket? Was just perusing his site...

I did debate whether to bump Capullo Bats to the next bracket based on pieces sold from his site, but erred on the side of caution as there haven't been any $5k+ secondary sales AFAIK.

That said, I'm certainly open to bumping it up as there have been $4k+ sales. Although, the #32 page 9 discussed therein did drop back to $2.5k in September 2019.

12 hours ago, O. said:

I did debate whether to bump Capullo Bats to the next bracket based on pieces sold from his site, but erred on the side of caution as there haven't been any $5k+ secondary sales AFAIK.

That said, I'm certainly open to bumping it up as there have been $4k+ sales. Although, the #32 page 9 discussed therein did drop back to $2.5k in September 2019.

My Capullo Bats 3 page with 1st app of Court of Owls is one of the high watermarks price-wise... before buying, I asked around to get a sense of market pricing.  I’m aware of 5 pages (3 bought directly from Capullo and 2 secondary sales) above $5k.  Early run (#1-12) get premium but majority of pages sell in the $2-4k range.  Hope that is helpful. :foryou:

Edited by GreatEscape

Just reiterating from the previous thread:

McFarlane/Spawn pages probably shouldn't be included in the $3-5k category, unless it's referring to his inks? (this may be the case, but I was under the impression this was mostly a pencillers list). McFarlane doesn't have any penciled Spawn pages in the marketplace, but there are a lot of Capullo penciled pages with McFarlane inks.

5 hours ago, comiconxion said:

Thanks for the explanation. I wonder if those pages ever will test the market. I can’t imagine I’d be too eager to break up a complete Secret Wars book. 

Good idea to pin this thread.

List needs TONS of refinement in my opinion.... which brings up the question: Whose input requests get published in the absence of data points? 

(I have some Eduardo Risso100 Bullets pages I was thinking about selling, and I really think they should be in the $3-5k category. I can cite numerous private sales to corroborate :) )

Edited by J.Sid
typo

8 hours ago, Lobstrosity said:

Just reiterating from the previous thread:

McFarlane/Spawn pages probably shouldn't be included in the $3-5k category, unless it's referring to his inks? (this may be the case, but I was under the impression this was mostly a pencillers list). McFarlane doesn't have any penciled Spawn pages in the marketplace, but there are a lot of Capullo penciled pages with McFarlane inks.

And are the Capullo/McF pages the ones that have hit the 3-5K mark?  If so, I will amend.