• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Part 2: A-Level Panel Page Valuations by Artist/Run
7 7

260 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, sfilosa said:

My first comment (probably won't be my last). "A" pages from Gene Colan Tales of Suspense (Iron Man) should be in the $10-20k. Great page several years ago sold on Heritage for over $20k, and a really nice page (but he is fighting a soldier not a villain) went for $12k six months ago at Heritage. I know I would buy several "A" pages for over $10k if they became available.

Great list. I'm building a spreadsheet of your info and will try to constantly track actual sales to see the trends. 

Thanks, and please do keep track of sales and LMK if things seem to be changing on anything here.  In our list, we have Colan TOS and 2Up Iron Man at the 5-10K range.  I would imagine all the TOS pages are 2Up, but are there separate early-run IM pages that are 2Up?  Should these all be bumped up?  Howa bout Colan Cap?  Where does that go?

1 hour ago, heartened said:

Thanks, and please do keep track of sales and LMK if things seem to be changing on anything here.  In our list, we have Colan TOS and 2Up Iron Man at the 5-10K range.  I would imagine all the TOS pages are 2Up, but are there separate early-run IM pages that are 2Up?  Should these all be bumped up?  Howa bout Colan Cap?  Where does that go?

It would probably also make sense to have a Colan DD twice up vs regular size. Twice up DD pages should be in the 10-20k where the regular size should stay at the 5-10k. Couple twice up pages auctioned last year that went for 12.5 and 20k.

Twice-up ended before TOS and TTA ended. I don't think any Iron Man, Sub-Mariner, Hulk or Captain America issues would be twice up. I researched this before but I think everything with a 1968 (or newer) date is standard. Maybe someone else knows better than I do.

So maybe say Colan TOS (2up) is in the $10-20k range. These are very hard to find. Heritage has only auctioned 11 pages in the past 15 years and maybe 5 of those could be considered A pages.  There are six individual pages on Comicarttracker and two of those on dealer websites were in recent Heritage auctions. The most recent one that sold on HA for $12k is on ComicConnect for $17.5k so obviously they thought $12k was a good price. I think only Colan's TOS should be moved to the $10-20k range at this time. 

Great info.  I have moved up the 2Up Colan art (both DD and TOS/IM) to 10-20K based on those confirmed sales.  Added a Colan regular size category to the 5-10K range.  This makes a lot of sense, and I'm glad we have fleshed out the Colan market.

8 minutes ago, heartened said:

Great info.  I have moved up the 2Up Colan art (both DD and TOS/IM) to 10-20K based on those confirmed sales.  Added a Colan regular size category to the 5-10K range.  This makes a lot of sense, and I'm glad we have fleshed out the Colan market.

Since we're on the topic what about 2up Heck IM TOS pages?  3k-5k seems way too low for 'A' pages.  I would think 10-20k as well and would consider most of the 'A' pages as those from his silver armor issues (pre #48) as those seem to never come to market (at least publicly) anymore and Heck OA in general has taken a leap since Kirby and Ditko have gotten so expensive.  Heck Avengers would easily 5k-10k for 'A' pages.  3-5k would cover any early Heck Avengers pages but I've rarely seen any 'A' pages on the market for years.

Edited by dem1138

4 minutes ago, dem1138 said:

Since we're on the topic what about 2up Heck IM TOS pages?  3k-5k seems way too low for 'A' pages.  I would think 10-20k as well and would consider most of the 'A' pages as those from his silver armor issues (pre #48) as those seem to never come to market (at least publicly) anymore and Heck OA in general has taken a leap since Kirby and Ditko have gotten so expensive.  Heck Avengers would easily 5k-10k for 'A' pages.  3-5k would cover any early Heck Avengers pages but I've rarely seen any 'A' pages on the market for years.

Good points, do we have any sales?  Heck is not anywhere on our list yet, so we definitely have to include him.

Just now, heartened said:

In our list, we have Colan TOS and 2Up Iron Man at the 5-10K range.  I would imagine all the TOS pages are 2Up, but are there separate early-run IM pages that are 2Up?

I think Colan's only post-TOS Iron Man work was in Iron Man and Sub-Mariner #1 and Iron Man #1. Would they get a boost from being first issues?

Edited by Chaykin Stevens

Just now, dem1138 said:

Since we're on the topic what about 2up Heck IM TOS pages?  3k-5k seems way too low for 'A' pages.  I would think 10-20k as well and would consider most of the 'A' pages as those from his silver armor issues (pre #48) as those seem to never come to market (at least publicly) anymore and Heck OA in general has taken a leap since Kirby and Ditko have gotten so expensive.

Iron Man's armour switched from grey to gold in TOS #40.  Ditko pencilled #47-49 - would they go for a premium?

4 hours ago, sfilosa said:

Twice-up ended before TOS and TTA ended. I don't think any Iron Man, Sub-Mariner, Hulk or Captain America issues would be twice up. I researched this before but I think everything with a 1968 (or newer) date is standard. Maybe someone else knows better than I do.

Yup, twice-up Marvel interiors ended around mid-1967.

3 hours ago, Chaykin Stevens said:

Iron Man's armour switched from grey to gold in TOS #40.  Ditko pencilled #47-49 - would they go for a premium?

Well, TOS #39 (grey armor) was complete last I heard (was FS on eBay a few times with a high Buy It Now but to my knowledge never sold) and I don't think those pages count as they'd likely be 100k each.  The Ditko pages from #47-49 are all out there and while they sell for less than Spidey pages, they would definitely be in the 10k-20k range as well.

Unfortunately for public sales, they just don't exist for A pages that I'm aware of.  A lot of pages from #42 have bounced around but the really good ones haven't surfaced in years.  I understand a few of the stronger pages sold between 5-10k privately, but this was probably 2-3 years ago that I heard about it.

Edited by dem1138

1 hour ago, dem1138 said:

Well, TOS #39 (grey armor) was complete last I heard (was FS on eBay a few times with a high Buy It Now but to my knowledge never sold) and I don't think those pages count as they'd likely be 100k each.  The Ditko pages from #47-49 are all out there and while they sell for less than Spidey pages, they would definitely be in the 10k-20k range as well.

Unfortunately for public sales, they just don't exist for A pages that I'm aware of.  A lot of pages from #42 have bounced around but the really good ones haven't surfaced in years.  I understand a few of the stronger pages sold between 5-10k privately, but this was probably 2-3 years ago that I heard about it.

Dave, so what Heck should be bumped to 5-10K?  LMK and I'll include.  And are we saying we should add Ditko TOS somewhere?

29 minutes ago, heartened said:

Dave, so what Heck should be bumped to 5-10K?  LMK and I'll include.  And are we saying we should add Ditko TOS somewhere?

I'd agree with Dave's suggested 5-10k for A-level Heck twice-up Avengers / TOS / X-Men having acquired two examples (5k X-Men, 7k Avengers) in past 2 years.  No need to break-out but be aware of premium pricing (10-20k) for Heck's pre-49 TOS pages with Iron Man and Avengers 20-22 pages inked by Wally Wood.

6 minutes ago, GreatEscape said:

I'd agree with Dave's suggested 5-10k for A-level Heck twice-up Avengers / TOS / X-Men having acquired two examples (5k X-Men, 7k Avengers) in past 2 years.  No need to break-out but be aware of premium pricing (10-20k) for Heck's pre-49 TOS pages with Iron Man and Avengers 20-22 pages inked by Wally Wood.

OK, moved Heck 2Up Avengers / TOS / X-Men to 5-10K.

1 hour ago, Taylor G said:

I have some personal knowledge of the bubble in the Irish real estate market in the oughts.  At the height of the so-called Celtic Tiger, real estate in Dublin was more expensive than Tokyo.  I would visit family there every year and ask if they were worried about the bubble bursting, and they would reply, Real estate in Ireland has never gone down in value.  Famously, the Irish Taoiseach in 2007 wondered why people worried about a bubble didn't just commit suicide.

This thread has nothing to do with past or future, it's about what the values are presently.  Where are prices by artist/run right now.  Some may go down, some may go up - granted the majority of popular art appears to keep going up right now.  Whatever people want to do with the data is up to them. 

Can I get something clarified:

are we saying today that a single Mcfarlane Spidey page (not a splash, but an interior page) , say from ASM #316, that has both Spidey and Venom on the page, may possibly be valued in the 80K range ?

Thanks for doing this.

1 hour ago, fishbone said:

Can I get something clarified:

are we saying today that a single Mcfarlane Spidey page (not a splash, but an interior page) , say from ASM #316, that has both Spidey and Venom on the page, may possibly be valued in the 80K range ?

Thanks for doing this.

Well, yes, consensus "appears" to be over 60K for that kind of page, which would be an A page from the run.  These can come down if subsequent sales don't support those values.  Personally, I think they should level off around 50K+, but right now they are in the higher tier.  Where are you getting 80K from?  That would be an A+ page probably according to what people are saying so far.

If you think it's too high, please put your comments and rationale in a post, including price points (private or public) and I'm happy to move it to whatever tier the consensus arrives at.  Granted, the run up on ASM ASM/SM is very recent, so it's not as validated as some of the others.

18 hours ago, heartened said:

Well, yes, consensus "appears" to be over 60K for that kind of page, which would be an A page from the run.  These can come down if subsequent sales don't support those values.  Personally, I think they should level off around 50K+, but right now they are in the higher tier.  Where are you getting 80K from?  That would be an A+ page probably according to what people are saying so far.

If you think it's too high, please put your comments and rationale in a post, including price points (private or public) and I'm happy to move it to whatever tier the consensus arrives at.  Granted, the run up on ASM ASM/SM is very recent, so it's not as validated as some of the others.

My thoughts would be something around 30K + , but I think it's quite variable (things like size of Spidey and/or Venom image, number of Spidey/Venom images on the page, quality of images, etc.). Recent Heritage sales in 2020 are only real good indicators, and I think the 30K is fairly accurate at this point ....... but it only takes 2 bidders who really want a page to drive this type of thing way up ......... 

1 hour ago, fishbone said:

My thoughts would be something around 30K + , but I think it's quite variable (things like size of Spidey and/or Venom image, number of Spidey/Venom images on the page, quality of images, etc.). Recent Heritage sales in 2020 are only real good indicators, and I think the 30K is fairly accurate at this point ....... but it only takes 2 bidders who really want a page to drive this type of thing way up ......... 

Aside from the recent ASM #328 half-splash ($120k, fueled in part by book completist demand), Heritage really hasn’t offered a true A-level McSpidey page since 2017.  Owners just don’t want to part with them as the dozen would-be buyers that I know will attest. 

ComicLink sold a A/A+ page (1 Venom panel) for $58k in Oct 2020...I’d bet the new buyer would need 20% premium to even start discussions in today’s market

I know 2 collectors who declined offers on McSpidey pages at 2x what they paid 4 years ago when top McSpidey panel pages were already selling for 25k+ (A $26k from SM #2, A+ $46k from ASM #317) on Heritage.  I pressed, I would calibrate today’s A-level at 2x $26k (2017 sale) = $50k but that’s my own perspective (your mileage may vary). 

Note:  If anyone does have an A-level McSpidey page for sale at $30k, please PM me asap. :devil: