• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rest In Peace Lamont Larson (1927-2020)
3 3

73 posts in this topic

How did his books get on the market? When I first heard of the collection, I assumed he had died and his heirs sold the books. 

What I've always found a bit strange was that if it weren't for the store owners writing his name on the books to hold them, that the books would have quietly been dispersed.

1 minute ago, shadroch said:

How did his books get on the market? When I first heard of the collection, I assumed he had died and his heirs sold the books. 

What I've always found a bit strange was that if it weren't for the store owners writing his name on the books to hold them, that the books would have quietly been dispersed.

I thought Jeff covered that pretty well in the eulogy video.  What is fascinating to me is that he received recognition and fan appreciation during his lifetime.  :headbang:

11 minutes ago, Cat-Man_America said:

I thought Jeff covered that pretty well in the eulogy video.  What is fascinating to me is that he received recognition and fan appreciation during his lifetime.  :headbang:

It was really nice to hear that Steve and Mark took the reins on that one. The only sig series Larson copy...how cool is that? 

The funny thing about Lamont is that he wasn't a collector. Other than take care of his collection, it was no big deal to him. He packed them away and forgot about them. He grew up and moved on. He, like many others of his generation were people of the Great Depression. They didn't throw anything away. I thank Lamont for buying them and taking good care of them. I thank his mom for not dumping them sooner. I think he basicaly thought we were all crazy...

That being said, us crazy people all owe a big debt of gratitude to Lamont as well as Macon, Church, Crippen and others for buying their collections and putting them away for us all.

This previous thread was bumped earlier this past year, but was created by and contains the article written by Jon Berk for the Comic Book Marketplace on contacting Lamont Larson and followup updates.

Figured it was an appropriate time to post it again

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/36180-larson-article-by-jon-berk/#comments

Without these important collectors in the hobby, The GA particularly would have been lost to a great degree. Whatever his motivations in the first place Lamont Larson and his contemporary hoarders are equally as important in some respects as the actual creators.

He's earned his tribute.

RIP. 

3 hours ago, bronze johnny said:

Larson, Macon, Church, and Crippen, are among the first to achieve the great collections as original owners.

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

That being said, us crazy people all owe a big debt of gratitude to Lamont as well as Macon, Church, Crippen and others for buying their collections and putting them away for us all.

I would most definitely add the name of Tom Reilly to this list of early comic book collectors, with what would eventually become more commonly known as the San Francisco pedigree which was one of the earliest pedigrees to surface way back in the early 70's.  :luhv:

Out of this group of five though, it would appear that the Recil Macon books are the toughest to come across rhough, as they simply don't seem to appear in the marketplace as often as books from the other four collections.  hm  :takeit:

17 hours ago, nearmint said:

I knew this was coming, but it was still very tough news to hear.  So I said a few words for Lamont.

Beautiful and touching video.  Thank you for posting this history lesson and tribute. As a born & raised Nebraska kid  it touched me a little bit more.