• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rest In Peace Lamont Larson (1927-2020)
3 3

73 posts in this topic

Great photos. I especially like the last one of Lamont with Jon Berk. It must have been quite the thrill for Jon. 

I have always wondered what Lamont thought about this. Did he think we were all crazy? It goes without saying that he was probably blown away with the prices people were paying for his books. 

Did he have a favorite character or book? Or was it just a forgotten part of his past? 

Must have been fun to talk to him, 

40 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Great photos. I especially like the last one of Lamont with Jon Berk. It must have been quite the thrill for Jon. 

I have always wondered what Lamont thought about this. Did he think we were all crazy? It goes without saying that he was probably blown away with the prices people were paying for his books. 

Did he have a favorite character or book? Or was it just a forgotten part of his past? 

Must have been fun to talk to him, 

Bob, if I remember correctly there was a fantastic article in either CBM or OVERSTREET Quarterly about the rediscovery of Lamont Larson with a great photo spread with shots of the clerks who pulled the books for him and the store he frequented. Well worth seeking out. GOD BLESS....

-jiombo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

3 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

Bob, if I remember correctly there was a fantastic article in either CBM or OVERSTREET Quarterly about the rediscovery of Lamont Larson with a great photo spread with shots of the clerks who pulled the books for him and the store he frequented. Well worth seeking out. GOD BLESS....

-jiombo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Correct. There are a few articles:

Overstreet’s Comic Book Quarterly - The Comic Books of Lamont Larson by Jon Berk (October/December 1994)

Comic Book Marketplace (CBM) - The Lamont Larson Collection: A Window Into the Golden Age by Patrick M. Kochanek (Feb 1996)

Comic Book Marketplace (CBM) - Update: Lamont Larson The True Story of a Comic Book Pedigree! by Jon Berk (September 1999)

8 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Or was it just a forgotten part of his past? 

This.

Lamont bought comics off the newsstands for a few years until he graduated to pulps.  They were left in the family barn, forgotten, until decades later.  It wasn't until Berk found him that he learned that his comics, set aside 58 years earlier, had survived, and were famous.

I was interviewed recently about my first contact with the Okajima books which occurred 25 years ago.  I struggled to pull the story together because it was not something I ever expected to be quizzed on after such a long time.  It was even more extreme with Lamont.

On 12/31/2020 at 8:53 PM, nearmint said:

I knew this was coming, but it was still very tough news to hear.  So I said a few words for Lamont.

A very touching and warm remembrance for a pioneer of our favorite hobby, Jeff.  Well done! 

I'm thankful he had a long and happy life. 103 years old, not everyone gets to have that. R.I.P. Mr. Larson! 

44 minutes ago, Forbush-Man said:

A very touching and warm remembrance for a pioneer of our favorite hobby, Jeff.  Well done! 

I'm thankful he had a long and happy life. 103 years old, not everyone gets to have that. R.I.P. Mr. Larson! 

93 not 103.  :smile:

Reminds me of Cloris Leachman's WIKI entry on the day she passed:  said that she died of supernatural causes at the age of 1,094  lol

I'd like to say again that was a beautiful tribute to Mr Larson. 

I've wanted a Larson book for a while, and after finding out why they have his name written on them makes me really want one. 

"Did you put aside Lamonts comics?", "Did you write his name on them?". So cool they did that for the kid. A pre-robin Lamont Larson Tec restored was sold a couple months ago (restored) that I could have managed but I thought it would go for more so I didn't try. Missing out on that one is going to bother me for a long long long time.

Edited by Professor Chaos