• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Meijers $5 3 pack of comics
3 3

79 posts in this topic

49 minutes ago, kav said:

can you see the spines of the books to tell if any silver age books inside?

Yeah and the bags are very loose, allowing you to move them around and get a decent look. You can press down the bag tight and get a read on most titles front and back, the middle one takes a little bag work but is identifiable. 

Just now, Sferg said:

Yeah and the bags are very loose, allowing you to move them around and get a decent look. You can press down the bag tight and get a read on most titles front and back, the middle one takes a little bag work but is identifiable. 

any sign of actual silver age books?

31 minutes ago, Sferg said:

Nope not yet but I'll keep checking periodically, I have 3 meijers pretty local.

my money's on nope.

First Walmart, now Meijers with the comics? Criminy, I drive by and/or go to probably half a dozen different Meijer stores in my weekly running around.  I'll have to do some searching now. I'll post whatever I find. (I already spend $30 a week at Meijer on cat food, may as well throw comics in my cart too)

17 hours ago, kav said:

Silver age key would be a decent amount of $$$

You can get lots of SA keys for the same price as these bags. Notice how there is no guarantee of which issues are included or their condition.

22 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

Video two in case you are interested-- had to search for it.

So a little hope with these, he pulled a vader #1 and I pulled a vader #11 the other day, so there might be a Vader #3 in these, somewhere. 

14 hours ago, mattn792 said:

I’ve heard rumor that not all mystery box sellers are honest.  hm

Sure, but why be dishonest and open yourself up to trouble when you can honestly screw people?

On 1/2/2021 at 10:19 AM, shadroch said:

I'd never heard of this company but it appears they have over 250 locations. I doubt they would go through the trouble to make these and stock them if they didn't expect to move a couple hundred units per location. I'd think they would prepare at least 100,000 bags that would make the odds of finding a key book one in 200. $1000 in sales for every "key book". Even if the average "key" costs them $40, that is still a very good profit margin as the rest of the books should cost a dime or less. 

Meijer is headquartered in Grand Rapids, Michigan. They have several locations in Michigan and have beached out into Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana and I believe Illinois. They may even be in other states like Tennessee.

They are similar to Wal-Mart in that you can buy almost anything there. Groceries, clothes, electronics, home and office supplies, and more are sold there. 

6 minutes ago, electricprune said:

Meijer is headquartered in Grand Rapids, Michigan. They have several locations in Michigan and have beached out into Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana and I believe Illinois. They may even be in other states like Tennessee.

They are similar to Wal-Mart in that you can buy almost anything there. Groceries, clothes, electronics, home and office supplies, and more are sold there. 

Definitely in Illinois. 

Seems like this topic might have done better in the Modern forum as the books are so far all moderns.

If I were so inclined or able to go to one of these stores-- It seems pretty easy to get around the "mystery" of these bags and only buy something you might want to begin with. Not sure I would consider that "cheating" though. From what I've seen though--- these books are a decent deal but it might help if you like these types of books to begin with.

and one last point--- the guy in the videos -- like in so many other opening type of videos I see wastes a lot of everyone including his own time during the video. Do I need to watch him open the bags of these things so violently? Get some scissors or a sharp blade or something. Better yet-- have them opened and ready to examine without us watching the process. Sorry-- it was painful to watch and listen as the guy tore into each new bag-- my OCD self thinking "even if he finds something worth a damn-- what if he ruins it in the process of opening a bag like a wild animal?"

anyway---

@ThreeSeas - did you attempt to look at the bags and discern which ones were different as well? I ask because you variation is far more substantive than what the fellow in the youtube video showed. He had some books where he ended up with 5 or more copies out of 18 bags opened or near that on several certain books (iirc True Believers: Captain Marvel had at least 4 repeats).