• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Meijers $5 3 pack of comics
3 3

79 posts in this topic

On 1/9/2021 at 4:12 PM, electricprune said:

Meijer is headquartered in Grand Rapids, Michigan. They have several locations in Michigan and have beached out into Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana and I believe Illinois. They may even be in other states like Tennessee.

They are similar to Wal-Mart in that you can buy almost anything there. Groceries, clothes, electronics, home and office supplies, and more are sold there. 

Wisconsin too the past 5 years or so. 

18 hours ago, ThreeSeas said:

I'm thinking someone will chime in and tell me they are all drek or something, but since I have not read many new books in recent years

There are some good storylines in there.

My only criticism would be that many moderns have long, multi-part storylines or are mini-series, whereas you're ending up with maybe just one or two story sections from these packs.  

Edited by Ken Aldred

19 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

There are some good storylines in there.

My only criticism would be that many moderns have long, multi-part storylines or are mini-series, whereas you're ending up with maybe just one or two story sections from these packs.  

Yeah, That's what I had thought also when seeing all of these random comics. When I was really young and was first buying comics this used to annoy me - having to wait for another month for the story to continue. It annoyed me so much way back then, that I only would buy comics that had a complete story, which is why I never bought too many DC's or Marvel Super hero books back in the day. Once I found a LCS that would pull comics for me, then I jumped in to getting them. I think I bought one of each DC comic that was published from 1984 up to my LCS's closing in 1998. (I didn't buy any Marvel's, but an old roommate did, and this story I post in a new thread sometime this winter.)

On 1/10/2021 at 5:42 PM, ThreeSeas said:

So I decided to check out Meijer's comic supply yesterday and today. I bought 20 packages total. I was at a smaller Meijer store yesterday and they only had two bags so I grabbed them, then today I went to another Meijer and it had one bag, but someone had cut a two inch slit in the bottom of it, so I left it. Then the next Meijer I tried I think maybe had 50 bags or so, so I grabbed 18 more so I had a twenty bag sample. I figured that would give me an idea of what was being offered.

All of the comics were from Marvel, with the oldest have an indicia date of September 2015, and the newest being dated February 2016. The comics I am guessing came from a warehouse or something as they were just as new as any new issue I can get from a LCS.

Edit: just to add - For $1.67 a book I think it was a good deal for new books. I'm thinking someone will chime in and tell me they are all drek or something, but since I have not read many new books in recent years, it is worth it to me to get a majority of these for less than cover price, which amounted to $238.43 in case anyone was wondering.

These are what were in the 60 comics I got.

Title Issue No. Qty
1872 1 1
Age of Apocalypse 1 1
All-New Hawkeye 1 1
Amazing Spider-Man, The 1 1
Amazing Spider-Man, The 2 2
Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows 3 2
Astonishing Ant-Man, The 1 1
Captain America: Sam Wilson 1 1
Captain America: Sam Wilson 2 3
Captain America: White 3 1
Chewbacca 1 1
Contest of Champions 2 1
Death of Wolverine: The Weapon X Program 2 1
Extraordinary X-Men 1 1
Hail Hydra 1 2
Hercules 1 2
Howling Commandos of S.H.I.E.L.D. 1 1
Invincible Iron Man 1 2
Journey to Star Wars: The Force Awakens - Shattered Empire 2 1
Karnak 1 1
Magneto 20 1
Marvel Zombies 2 1
Mighty Thor 1 1
Ms. Marvel 18 1
New Avengers 1 1
New Avengers 2 1
Old Man Logan 3 1
Origin II 1 1
Secret Wars 3 1
Secret Wars 5 1
Silver Surfer 13 1
Spider-Man 2099 2 1
Spider-Man 2099 3 1
Squadron Sinister 1 1
Star Wars: Vader Down 1 1
Superior Iron Man 9 1
Thors 2 1
True Believers: Captain Marvel 1 1
True Believers: Old Man Logan 1 1
True Believers: Thor 1 1
Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, The 1 1
Uncanny Avengers 2 1
Uncanny Inhumans 0 4
Uncanny Inhumans 2 2
Vision 2 2
Web Warriors 1 2
X-Men '92 2

Do you not have any comic shops near you? Or multiple shops in which they have sales?

2 hours ago, ygogolak said:

Do you not have any comic shops near you? Or multiple shops in which they have sales?

In regards to new comics: Yes, there are two or three shops near me, none of which will offer me a nickel off cover price. I understand that a brick and mortar place needs to make a profit, but to not even give me a penny off just kind of leaves a bad taste in my mouth. (However, I have bought older drek from their dollar bins now and then). Yeah, I could probably get some token 5% or so off by committing to buying a certain amount every month, but I'm not ready to do that at this time. 

I guess I was kind of spoiled by my old shop, where from 1984 to 1998 I usually got 20% or more off cover prices. Back then I'd spend any wheres from $1,200 to $2,000 a year on new comics. That's when cover prices were maybe a third of what they are now. I think my old shop even offered discounts based on the purchases you made all at once, like so much off if you spent $50 or more and so forth. I've yet to see a volume discount offer with the current places.

There's no incentive for me to drive the half hour/forty-five minutes to the nearest shop when I can just click the mouse to get what I want sent to my door for the same price.

At 3 for $5 the Meijer's bags got me back in the game for a bit, even though the comics were n.o.s. (new old stock) and not the newest issues.

19 minutes ago, ThreeSeas said:

In regards to new comics: Yes, there are two or three shops near me, none of which will offer me a nickel off cover price. I understand that a brick and mortar place needs to make a profit, but to not even give me a penny off just kind of leaves a bad taste in my mouth. (However, I have bought older drek from their dollar bins now and then). Yeah, I could probably get some token 5% or so off by committing to buying a certain amount every month, but I'm not ready to do that at this time. 

I guess I was kind of spoiled by my old shop, where from 1984 to 1998 I usually got 20% or more off cover prices. Back then I'd spend any wheres from $1,200 to $2,000 a year on new comics. That's when cover prices were maybe a third of what they are now. I think my old shop even offered discounts based on the purchases you made all at once, like so much off if you spent $50 or more and so forth. I've yet to see a volume discount offer with the current places.

There's no incentive for me to drive the half hour/forty-five minutes to the nearest shop when I can just click the mouse to get what I want sent to my door for the same price.

At 3 for $5 the Meijer's bags got me back in the game for a bit, even though the comics were n.o.s. (new old stock) and not the newest issues.

OK, a number of shops in my vicinity will offer backissues for $1 or half off sticker during sales or which there are many per year. All the ones you got in those bags would be the kinds of books that would be $1. There really is no value in any of those and it's not like you're putting arcs together for the stories.

11 hours ago, ThreeSeas said:

Yeah, That's what I had thought also when seeing all of these random comics. When I was really young and was first buying comics this used to annoy me - having to wait for another month for the story to continue. It annoyed me so much way back then, that I only would buy comics that had a complete story, which is why I never bought too many DC's or Marvel Super hero books back in the day. Once I found a LCS that would pull comics for me, then I jumped in to getting them. I think I bought one of each DC comic that was published from 1984 up to my LCS's closing in 1998. (I didn't buy any Marvel's, but an old roommate did, and this story I post in a new thread sometime this winter.)

Even if it's a four or six issue storyline, say, many writers interlink their shorter runs into longer continuous narratives, so to see the full story emerge you may need to stick with the title and crossovers for a very long time, years, even, such as with the last Avengers / Secret Wars, or Invincible.  

Edited by Ken Aldred

13 hours ago, ThreeSeas said:

I guess I was kind of spoiled by my old shop, where from 1984 to 1998 I usually got 20% or more off cover prices.

Both my shops here around the Flint area offer discounts. One is a yearly club (10% off new plus the wall) but they only sell $25 memberships twice a year, the other has a permanent discount based on what you spend, 20% off for $75 and up, and it works on new comics, but not the wall.

My LCS always has 20% off no matter what how many books you buy, no matter if you have a pull list or not.  Great owner, the only thing I will get on him about is his back issues.  He just has a problem keeping things in order.  I will see that he sold something on ebay and I will get on him for not having it on his wall in the store.

Picked up 3 packs yesterday. Nothing to special in mine. I tried to inspect the 20 or so they had. Couldnt see any indication of Bronze or Silver Books. Alot of what I saw was in the video of guy opening a bunch here. 

On 1/12/2021 at 3:46 PM, ygogolak said:

OK, a number of shops in my vicinity will offer backissues for $1 or half off sticker during sales or which there are many per year. All the ones you got in those bags would be the kinds of books that would be $1. There really is no value in any of those and it's not like you're putting arcs together for the stories.

Why you gotta pee on his corn flakes? I'm not so sure the Spiderman books and a couple of others are such obvious dollar box fodder. Depends on the store I suppose. 

2 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

I'm trying to determine why anyone would buy these when your money is better spent elsewhere.

Based on your postings you have some great dollar boxes around you. He might not.  I've bought the 5 Below 5 for $5 packs for fun. Not much in those either. But next time I'm in a 5 Below I'll probably do it again. I agree, he took his experiment a bit far in terms of quantity.  

These books are not my type of thing but I would never tell someone else that they should not buy them. If they want them-- go for it.

Also-- they look to be in pretty excellent shape across the board. As for the claim that there are 500 keys-- I would not take that too seriously as a reason to buy a bag (or 18). That part seems like a bit of a con