• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SEDUCTION OF THE INNOCENT - A PRIZE GIVEAWAY CONTEST AND MANY NEW DISCOVERIES!

32 posts in this topic

Hello folks. Re-reading Seduction Of The Innocent and hunting down the original comic books as I read about them in the text was one of the best ways to deal with the existential horror of 2020. This project continues into the new year!

All of this could not be done without the great lostsoti.org website and SOTIcollector's research and info. Even with this valuable resource there are still some things that aren't mentioned on that site that I've found through my own digging and obsessive comic book detective work.

Before I get to these discoveries I propose a challenge to the board to find the only image in Dr. Wertham's infamous image gallery that has not been identified. It's shown below. First board member to find the comic gets a FREE COPY of Famous Crimes #19! It's not in the best shape (about a 2.0) but the book is rare, not available to read online, is mentioned in SOTI on page 96, and will be sent to the first person who posts the answer to this mystery for free (with postage paid)! Good luck! I hope someone figures it out after 66 years!

WHAT COMIC BOOK IS THIS FROM?

policeburst.jpg

Now on to the discoveries. Let's start with a big one. The "eye gouging" case that might have inspired the whole "injury to eye" fetish Wertham had. A creepy incident is reported on page 87 from one of Wertham's "troubled" pantients:

eyegougetext.jpg

The book in question that most likely inspired this kid to do what he did was Authentic Police Cases #3. Not only is the "scratch your eyes out" verbiage in there, but the scene is eerily similar to what the kid tried to do to the little girl:

apc3A.jpg

apc3B.jpg

apc3C.jpg

Edited by howardhallis

The second discovery I made was from this quote on page 185:

tommixtext.jpg

I read through the entire series of Tom Mix Comics and not only are there no extended scenes of rope bondage in those books... there are very few women in those books at all! So I started looking at other comics that had Tom Mix on the cover that might fit the bill. After a lengthy search I found Crackajack Funnies #1 with the Myra North story shown below. I'm pretty sure this is the book Wertham was talking about. If so this would make it one of the oldest comic books referenced in SOTI, coming out in 1938.

crackajackA.jpg

crackajackB.jpg

crackajackC.jpg

crackajackD.jpg

The third discovery was pretty easy to find. Here's the text from page 30:

texmorgantext.jpg

All I had to do was find a western comic that said "Your Favorite Western Star" on the cover with a gun ad on the inside front and back covers that also had an approval from a psychologist on the first page and a story with a guy bleeding from his mouth. The only issue that checks all those boxes is Tex Morgan #9.

texA.jpg

texB.jpg

Edited by howardhallis

Fourth discovery: This quote is from page 161:

161blindman.jpg

Although the more common association with Wertham's "Robbing From A Blind Person" is thought to be the cover to Crime and Punishment #2, the protagonist in Tales Of Horror #6 seems to get away with the deed in this story. (Although he's punished later by a malicious genie).

talesofhorror6.jpg

4 hours ago, howardhallis said:

Before I get to these discoveries I propose a challenge to the board to find the only image in Dr. Wertham's infamous image gallery that has not been identified. It's shown below. First board member to find the comic gets a FREE COPY of Famous Crimes #19! It's not in the best shape (about a 2.0) but the book is rare, not available to read online, is mentioned in SOTI on page 96, and will be sent to the first person who posts the answer to this mystery for free (with postage paid)! Good luck! I hope someone figures it out after 66 years!

Have you considered scanning and sharing this before you give it away?  We could use it at the Digital Comic Museum.

Excellent research! Thanks for sharing the results.  :applause:

10 hours ago, howardhallis said:

Hello folks. Re-reading Seduction Of The Innocent and hunting down the original comic books as I read about them in the text was one of the best ways to deal with the existential horror of 2020. This project continues into the new year!

All of this could not be done without the great lostsoti.org website and SOTIcollector's research and info. Even with this valuable resource there are still some things that aren't mentioned on that site that I've found through my own digging and obsessive comic book detective work.

WHAT COMIC BOOK IS THIS FROM?

policeburst.jpg

Isn’t this “Stranger than Fiction” from Hunted #13? The police bear a striking resemblance to the one on the front cover. 

35FD9C8C-1444-4DA5-8037-1DEDC10739F3.jpeg

Edited by Terry_JSA

6 hours ago, Terry_JSA said:

Isn’t this “Stranger than Fiction” from Hunted #13? The police bear a striking resemblance to the one on the front cover. 

35FD9C8C-1444-4DA5-8037-1DEDC10739F3.jpeg

@Terry_JSAI thought that too.  I reached out to @howardhallisvia PM yesterday afternoon and he indicated it wasn't Hunted #13.   The panel in SOTI illustration 16 (I believe) just beside the one Howardhallis posted is from Hunted #13.