• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1000 books in 2021
6 6

385 posts in this topic

Cal could start off the new year here by providing a review of Iron Man and Sub-Mariner 1, maybe?

1 to 13

Werewolf by Night 31 to 41 (11 issues in total)

A fairly mixed bag.  The Moon Knight two-parter  (32, 33, of course ) is good, much more easy for me to get into in remastered format, as Don Perlin’s art looked quite dull and muddy in the original newsprint version.

The haunted house story (34 to 37) is the best of the Bronze Age issues, throwing every ghost / haunted house trope imaginable into the mix.  Quite insane.

The next multi-part story co-starring Brother Voodoo starts out well, with interesting ideas such as zombies (sorry, “zuvembies”) made of energy, but the writing eventually breaks down later, when Moench tries his hand at cosmic storytelling for a few pages.

Good horror writer, no Jim Starlin.

Moon Knight 29, 30

Classic Werewolf story.  Fairly ordinary satanic cult plot, but Sienkiewicz’s art is fantastic.

As we've now gone into full Covid lockdown again here in England until March, there'll be plenty enough opportunity to read comics this year.

Edited by Ken Aldred

I promised myself to make more of an effort to complete the 1000 book challenge this year.

Last year was too much of a mess of stress and I sank into the boob tube for comfort.

This year I have ample reading material which I will set aside and start on this week.

I look forward to seeing everyone's book choices this year!

39 minutes ago, Raze said:

2-5

Wonder Woman Dead Earth

This was a good mini series. Some pretty cool things happen so I wont spoil it for you.

image.jpg

I just read the series description and it sounds pretty cool!  You would recommend it?

1 hour ago, s-man said:

I just read the series description and it sounds pretty cool!  You would recommend it?

Yes. I really liked it. I like Daniel Warren Johnson and my LCS had a 50% off day a few weeks ago I I picked it up. Wonder Woman is not drawn "HOT" SO it takes away her"sex appeal" so you can focus on the story and not her "attributes".

With that said I highly recommend the new 52 Wonder Woman by Brain Azzarello! Great story!

On 1/5/2021 at 3:51 PM, F For Fake said:

So, that brings my 2021 total to 80 issues. Not bad!

Dang! You are starting the year out right.   I need to add some Scrooge books to the collection.  I remember reading this giant old beat up Scrooge treasury that my school library had when I was a kid.  I’d love to find that again.  
I may try and check out the Holy Corpse Rising series.  I don’t do a ton of manga reading, but I’m a fan of dense world building so am intrigued. 

Amazing Spider-Man

24 issues between 58 and 136.  My collection starts mostly at 100 and I'm missing a lot of sequential issues, but it's still been a fun read. I don't believe I've own a single complete story arc.  It amused me that just about every issue, Peter Parker ends up getting pummeled/drugged/concussed until he's literally seeing stars. No concussion protocol back then?  

As far as art goes: Love me some Romita Kingpin! By far my favorite iteration.

A lot of nostalgia in these early bronze issues, as they are some of the earliest comics I can remember.

24 issues read.

2 hours ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

So I decided to get started on these, and discovered I had a copy of 167 so I started there.

Meh

It was ok, but I’m hoping they get better from here. 

Found this little gem in there...

A646017A-11B1-4823-A4CA-1391D808F018.jpeg

8558EAF6-B8F3-4FA0-BF7F-DC68B68AC03F.jpeg

Always felt bad for how it ends with that character (no spoilers!)

My personal favorite issue of the FM run is 165...the cover alone is great.

I just started reading the Tick Omnibus (covers issues 1-6).  Read the first two issues in it and really like the fun poking it does on Supes.  Also I like Edlund's art work.

Edited by s-man

14 to 22

Quasar Classic Vol 1 (Quasar 1 to 9)

One of my favourite, underrated series from the late 80s to mid 90s, with some excellent stories by Mark Gruenwald.

This would’ve been better published as an Epic Collection, given the fluctuation in quality in the early stages of the title, with only the first third of this collection being particularly worthwhile.

Issues 1 to 3 are excellent; a two-part origin of Quasar and a story with a transdimensional villain, setting up the cosmic protector direction of the title, but, the stories then falter and descend into monster, or ‘alien of the month’ repetition, with poor artwork.

Left as is, the book is trade paperback bin fodder, which I got for £2.50 in a Comixology sale, whereas an Epic Collection, containing the first 20 issues or so,  would’ve seen a quick improvement with the great Journey Into Mystery multi-parter, the classic super-speedster contest issue, and the arrival of the excellent Greg Capullo on artwork soon after.

Good morning!

Today's update is - Legion (1984) up to 29, and Marvel Team Up 130.

Even 20.

I am actually collecting the Miller DD run as we speak.  I don't have a 168, unfortunately, and may want to wait for a price correction there, if that ever happens.  (Or a good deal.). I bought a few off the stands here and there.  I'm enjoying reading your thoughts on it.