• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1000 books in 2021
6 6

385 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Savoyard23 said:

I am actually collecting the Miller DD run as we speak.  I don't have a 168, unfortunately, and may want to wait for a price correction there, if that ever happens.  (Or a good deal.). I bought a few off the stands here and there.  I'm enjoying reading your thoughts on it.

171 & 172 were great.   Can’t go wrong with Miller Bullseye stories.   Hopefully I’ll find the time to read 173-180 tonight. :wishluck:

On 1/10/2021 at 10:42 PM, s-man said:

I just started reading the Tick Omnibus (covers issues 1-6).  Read the first two issues in it and really like the fun poking it does on Supes.  Also I like Edlund's art work.

Feeling like I need to dig out the old issues and read those, rather than the FCBD issues I have been reading.

21 hours ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

171 & 172 were great.   Can’t go wrong with Miller Bullseye stories.   Hopefully I’ll find the time to read 173-180 tonight. :wishluck:

Those were actually the first issues I bought back then.  I thought it was cool that he was fighting the Kingpin and that cover on 171 just drew me in.

I bought some sporadically after that.  I was 9, on a 9-year-old's budget, and probably not ready to appreciate the...grit in Miller's stories.  I'm gonna read them all together when I finally finish the run.  (I have 158-160 en route from Superworld, actually.)

Look forward to your thoughts on the others.

2 minutes ago, Savoyard23 said:

Those were actually the first issues I bought back then.  I thought it was cool that he was fighting the Kingpin and that cover on 171 just drew me in.

I bought some sporadically after that.  I was 9, on a 9-year-old's budget, and probably not ready to appreciate the...grit in Miller's stories.  I'm gonna read them all together when I finally finish the run.  (I have 158-160 en route from Superworld, actually.)

Look forward to your thoughts on the others.

How much of the rest of the run are you missing?

39 minutes ago, srezvan said:

The Matt Fraction Hawkeye series was really hyped on the reading thread last year. And it lived up to the hype. I have no idea why a book about Hawkeye is go engaging and entertaining, but it really works. Great story, humor, fun characters and situations. I'm almost done with the second TPB and I've already ordered #3 and #4 so I can finish up the series.

So I actually know where my copies of this book are located. Can it read without being immersed in the whole Marvel Universe (which I'm not opposed to, but I haven't kept up for years so I wouldn't want to pull this out if it was)?

10 minutes ago, ttfitz said:

So I actually know where my copies of this book are located. Can it read without being immersed in the whole Marvel Universe (which I'm not opposed to, but I haven't kept up for years so I wouldn't want to pull this out if it was)?

I couldn't tell you the last recent Marvel book I've read. There are clearly larger Marvel universe things that have happened, but it didn't bother me. I did look up one character on wikipedia. 

Oh, I read X-Men stuff, but it's completely unrelated. Go for it!

20 hours ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

How much of the rest of the run are you missing?

Ah, off the top of my head without digging out the box in the next room, let me see...

158-160 are on the way.  I have 167, 171-174, and 180-184.  And 191, I think.  Missing all the others for now.

I also have 128-157 and am slowly working my way back.  One reason I'm going for Daredevil is, it's one of the mainstream Marvel titles where I don't already go deep into the Silver Age, and as opposed to ASM or Hulk, fewer big keys in the way to make it unaffordable.  I actually scored a 131 in a lot on eBay a year or two ago - 131-157 for $75!  The 131 isn't high grade but not a rag either.

Thanks for asking!

On 1/13/2021 at 8:01 PM, srezvan said:

I'm up to 25 for the year already.

We're almost done with the main Age of Apocalypse storyline. I think just 3 more, then my daughter wants to go back and read the backup stories. Some stories are better than others, but I really enjoy the storyline. 

20210107_105734.thumb.jpg.46d53b30255cd381e6c1d89e8d7eb2a3.jpg 20210108_194641.thumb.jpg.8ef1594865c9c5189c1d931c2b1fdfee.jpg 20210108_194647.thumb.jpg.30602b91d1a50d6dc5d042b7e437171a.jpg 20210112_095046.thumb.jpg.8e53315b69057d08b1acd16f45205e7f.jpg20210112_095056.thumb.jpg.f8e8234d5041b1eae72295e4e72e5e0e.jpg 

The Matt Fraction Hawkeye series was really hyped on the reading thread last year. And it lived up to the hype. I have no idea why a book about Hawkeye is go engaging and entertaining, but it really works. Great story, humor, fun characters and situations. I'm almost done with the second TPB and I've already ordered #3 and #4 so I can finish up the series.

20210112_095107.thumb.jpg.022c525fdbd4315b96723027b18f923f.jpg

Hawkeye was a Great run - upon re read - as an x-man fanatic the age of apocalypse wasn’t as good... as painful as this is to admit 

On 1/13/2021 at 8:55 PM, srezvan said:
On 1/13/2021 at 8:40 PM, ttfitz said:

I couldn't tell you the last recent Marvel book I've read. There are clearly larger Marvel universe things that have happened, but it didn't bother me.

Agreed. No need to be bathed in Marvel mythos to catch on to the story and it's a fast reader and just fantastic. You'll enjoy finishing it and ttfitz will enjoy it from the start. Simple, well designed art that serves the story. Amazing what some people can do with just a few well placed lines.

On 1/15/2021 at 1:17 AM, Old_Man_Adam said:

Hawkeye was a Great run 

Fraction and Aja work well together.  Immortal Iron Fist is worth looking at too.

34 comics for the year!

Age of Apocalypse is almost complete. It's so funny to hear my daughter get so excited to read X-Men Omega and then go back and read the backup stories. She's very interested in how Scarlet Witch died - the reader knows early on that she's dead, so not really a spoiler. Not all the AoA books are great, but I still really enjoy the "what if" storyline. X-Calibre may be my least favorite.

20210115_150842.thumb.jpg.3574dfa73de204411809ec6cb724c550.jpg 20210114_065658.thumb.jpg.c9ec5ce2d5ba19451e145328ad72008c.jpg 20210114_065707.thumb.jpg.c32bd9693b9017bce863aec1bb5b2067.jpg

I also finished the second Hawkeye TPB. Still a fantastic series, and I've already purchased TPBs 3 and 4 so I can finish the run. I'm still very happy about my decision to start selling off my floppies and switch to TPBs. Great series, but I was thrown off by the "Pizza Dog" story at first. I really had no idea that was such a popular/famous issue. That's how little I keep up with modern comics. I went back and read it again and enjoyed it more the second time. Grills!!!!!!!!

20210114_065719.thumb.jpg.964446e3a91f710c9d34dc0f36705669.jpg

After all this talk of Iron Fist, I went and added the first TPB to my want list. I've only read one Iron Fist story, and that was the 1st appearance of Sabretooth. All I know of Iron Fist is the awful Netflix series with the most whiny billionaire superhero known to humankind. But, I don't think I've had a bad recommendation from this thread yet, so I'll give it a try, eventually.

I've got some Conan books started already. Should be a quick read. And then? Maybe Tag and Bink. How knows?

Amazing Spider-Man

24 more issues between 138 and 185.  Pretty much all Ross Andru now, but that's all right with me. I associate him with Spider-Man more than probably any other artist.
Still missing a lot of issues, so I'm not getting much in the way of completed arcs.

Highlight: 

I have a soft spot for the Nightcrawler, Punisher, Jigsaw story in 161 and 162. If I had more of the issues, the Clone story-line would have rated much higher. 

48 issues read in 2021

On 1/3/2021 at 7:54 PM, piper said:

How are people tracking their reads?  With my venture into Collected Editions and my digital reading on Hoopla/Marvel Unlimited.  This sounds doable.  We'll see if that's still the case once I head back to work tomorrow.

Reads so far:

Deadly Class 17 - 44 (27 issues)

Black Magick 1 - 11 (11 issues)

Money Shot 1 - 5 (5 issues)

I’m on a Jason Aaron’s Thor kick. I just finished Thor God of Thunder 1 to 25. This is a great Thor story, right up with Simonson’s run.  Highly recommended!

New tally is 68 issues.

5 minutes ago, piper said:

I’m on a Jason Aaron’s Thor kick. I just finished Thor God of Thunder 1 to 25. This is a great Thor story, right up with Simonson’s run.  Highly recommended!

New tally is 68 issues.

but your trades/ omnibus are one book.

unnamed.jpg