• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1000 books in 2021
5 5

385 posts in this topic

50-54

CHU 1-5

Chew was probably my favorite comic story of all time.  And Now there is a sequel!! This was awesome! My only complaint was that the original artist got replaced, (because hes writing and drawing his own book)! But the artist that replaced him did a real good job, he definitely kept the feel from the original artist!

A+

116EC262-3F64-4519-836A-0B2652407CA5.jpeg

On 1/26/2021 at 10:47 PM, piper said:

Still reading Jason Aaron Thor...

The Mighty Thor (2015 series) #9

The Mighty Thor (2015 series) #10

The Mighty Thor (2015 series) #11

The Mighty Thor (2015 series) #12

The Mighty Thor (2015 series) #13

The Mighty Thor (2015 series) #14

The Mighty Thor (2015 series) #15

The Mighty Thor (2015 series) #16

The Mighty Thor (2015 series) #17

The Mighty Thor (2015 series) #18

Unworthy Thor #1

Unworthy Thor #2

Unworthy Thor #3

Unworthy Thor #4

Unworthy Thor #5

The Mighty Thor (2015 series) #19

The Mighty Thor (2015 series) #20

The Mighty Thor (2015 series) #21

The Mighty Thor (2015 series) #22

The Mighty Thor (2015 series) #23

Generations: The Unworthy Thor & The Mighty Thor

With the Marvel Legacy publishing initiative, Thor was given new numbering. This legacy numbering starts with issue #700.

Thor #700

Thor #701

Thor #702

Thor #703

Thor #704

Thor #705

Thor #706

Mighty Thor: At the Gates of Valhalla #1

New tally is 93+29= 122

I’m just about ready to read War of the Realms. 

+27 (War of the Realms, Thor God of Thunder Reborn, King Thor)

New total is 149. I so thoroughly enjoyed this run of Thor!

How does this not have an Omnibus?

Edited by piper

55-58

Future State Wonder Woman 1-2

I love Joelle Jones so This was the only FS books I read and I enjoyed them. I am on the fence about buying the monthly Wonder Girl? That is coming out with This Wonder Woman.

Fire Power 5-6

This is a pretty good action/fighting book with a good story. Ive thoroughly enjoyed it!

670F7D85-557A-4220-B2D0-627DD297A666.jpeg

284E9CBA-7865-4F6A-811E-795B24178A8A.jpeg

On 2/6/2021 at 9:07 AM, piper said:

+27 (War of the Realms, Thor God of Thunder Reborn, King Thor)

New total is 149. I so thoroughly enjoyed this run of Thor!

How does this not have an Omnibus?

Just finished Thor by Donny Cates 1-8 on Marvel Unlimited. Always happy to see Galactus show up.

These past few weeks, I've still been making my way through Hickman's "Time Runs Out" story and also started reading Bendis' run on Guardians of the Galaxy. I've almost made it through the whole omnibus, just have the last 4 issues in the collection to go (Guardians of Knowhere, which I plan on reading after I finish Time Runs Out and Secret Wars). Id say the majority of my NCBD reads have been King in Black. I have been enjoying the Marvel anthology series as well. Batman: Black and White has been amazing and so has the Other History of the DC Universe. if you haven't read Other History yet, I highly recommend it. Between Guardians and Time Runs Out, I've really slowed down on my GA books reading. I did get a few in though, my favorite on this list has to be Startling Terror Tales #11, it doesn't get much better than golden age crime comics. I've also started to read Jim Starlin's Dreadstar. Got through the first book which collects Epic Illustrated 1-9. I'm looking forward to the rest of it.

1/24/21 - 2/7/21
-Uncanny Avengers(2012) #24-25 (2)
-Loki: Agent of Asgard #6-7 (2)
-Magneto(2014) #9-12 (4)
-Deadpool(2012) #26, 
-Axis: Carnage #1-3 (3)
-Savage Avengers #17
-Daredevil #26
-Marvel #3-4 (2)
-Wolverine #9
-Venom #33
-King in Black: Gwenom vs Carnage #2, Maurauders #1, Black Knight #1, Namor #3, Return of the Valkyries #2 (5)
-Amazing Spider-Man #58
-Thor #10

-The Other History of the DC Universe #2
-Joker/ Harley: Criminal Sanity #7
-Strange Adventures #8
-Batman: White Knight Presents Harley Quinn #4
-Batman: Black and White #2
-Man-Bat (2021) #1
-Hellblazer: Rise and Fall #3
-Future State: Swamp Thing #2, Dark Detective #2 (2)

-Ghost/Hellboy 1-2 (2)
-Sparkling Stars(1946) #16
-Dell Four Color (1953) #488: Edgar Rice Burroughs' John Carter of Mars
-Spawn #314
-Startling Terror Tales (1954) vol.2 #11

-Dreadstar (1980): The Metamorphosis Odyssey TPB (9)
-Silver Surfer: Black Marvel Treasury Edition (5)
-Avengers/X-Men: Axis TPB (9)
-Conan: Book of Thoth TPB (5)
-Guardians of the Galaxy by Brian Michael Bendis Omnibus: Avengers Assemble #1-8, GotG: Tomorrow's Avengers, All-New X-Men 22-23, FCBD:GotG #1, Guardians Team-Up #1-2, GotG(2013) 0.1-27, Annual 1 (43) 
-Avengers World: The Complete Collection #1-20, Avengers #34.1-34.2, All-New Marvel Now Point One #1 (22)
-Avengers: Time Runs Out Vol. 1 (5)

TOTAL: 139
2021 TOTAL: 326

2021rc2.jpg

2021rc1.jpg

2 hours ago, piper said:

What’s your thoughts on King in Black? I haven’t read any modern Venom. How much backstory do I need to have to follow it?

I'm loving it, but I also grew up a huge Venom fan and he's been my favorite since. The only real backstory you need to know is Cates' and Stegman's run on Venom, you don't need to go ALL the way back to his 1st app. Absolute Carnage is also a lead in to King in Black. So pretty much just any venom related stuff for the past 3 years. I'd recommend it but I'm also biased. lol

On 2/7/2021 at 9:16 PM, kccoig14 said:

I've also started to read Jim Starlin's Dreadstar. Got through the first book which collects Epic Illustrated 1-9. I'm looking forward to the rest of it.

I read the entire Dreadstar series a couple years back during my LCS's Back Issue Challenge.™ I found it notable for two things - (a) some really great Starlin work, and (2) just about the only thing Peter David has done that I really didn't care for.

1 hour ago, ttfitz said:

I read the entire Dreadstar series a couple years back during my LCS's Back Issue Challenge.™ I found it notable for two things - (a) some really great Starlin work, and (2) just about the only thing Peter David has done that I really didn't care for.

I have to go back and get my hands on the Epic Illustrated stuff and the graphic novel.

I've collected and read the ongoing series up to 30 or 31, whichever one concludes the first storyline.

I'm interested in what others think of it.

Ugh, what a bunch of stinkers. I had Avengers 110 on my spinner rack in the Magneto column. I had never read it before, and my daughter read the cover and asked me to read the comic to her - "how did magneto kill the X-Men?" So we read these two (I don't have the Daredevil middle story). I like the creative use of Magneto's powers, but this was just such a cheesy story and I didn't like the writing style at all. The Piper was controlling dinosaurs with his flute? The X-Men can't tell the difference between Angel and Magneto in Angel's costume? Ugh.

My comic book reading is severely limited at this time as I read the draft of my brother's new novel (which I really enjoy, BTW), so my count is taking a big hit. My daughter would like to read some Star Wars comics next, so hopefully those new "Age of..." one-shot stories are good.

20210212_193833.jpg

59-84

LOW 1-26

This was one of my favorite series for a very long time. I heard issue 26 was going to be the last issue and I hadn’t read anything past issue 20. So I went back and reread the entire series after issue 26 came out this week.

The art and story up to issue 19 were really good. The art and story after issue 20 really let me down. As much as people think the art got better with the last six issues I thought that some of the panels were great but majority of it was OK at best compared to the first 19 issues.

I had such high expectations of this book. There were multiple times when the main set of characters SHOULD have been dead!  there is no way that they could stay alive but yet everyone miraculously lived minus one of the core characters. You got no answer or explanation as to how they lived. Two of the main characters were literally stabbed through their entire body but somehow lived, one character had so much radiation poisoning that her organs were starting to liquefy, yet she lives. The fact that there was no explanation given felt like really clunky writing and I felt cheated.

This book is all about hope and optimism and so many bad terrible things happened in the entire book that you feel hopeless. Yet it remains somewhat optimistic because of the main character. I tend to like endings of books where it’s not always happy and I was hoping that this book might go in that direction. But I didn’t and that’s OK. I did like the series and it was a fun ride.

Available for trade or sale...

DDF115AA-5984-4414-BCB3-B2035647E592.jpeg

35 to 44

Justice Society of America (1992) 1 to 10

Good mainstream super-hero team book.  The JSA return, freed from a period during which they had regained their youth but were imprisoned into fighting through cycles of  Ragnarok time and time again, but, on returning to Earth, find themselves ageing again past their prime and concerned about whether they still have anything of value to offer, whether time has passed them by, whether to retire, etc. The best thing about the series is Mike Parobeck’s often quite excellent cartoony artwork.

22 hours ago, RayJr said:

34/1000

Today’s reads

Red Sonja Valentine’s Day Special 2020 #A

Red Sonja The Superpowers #3

The Cimmerian: The Frost-Giant’s Daughter #3

Future State: Wonder Woman #2

3DC51B99-CE17-4C03-B7CB-3131D668B3EA.jpeg

0DCB986D-D0A4-464D-B399-8D86C6E81AD0.jpeg

D503CA4C-CA0F-4FB9-B63E-10BFC878E4BE.jpeg

F72F9899-A686-4EAE-9C60-5EF0E373EAE7.jpeg

I don’t know about the stories but the covers look great!

2 hours ago, ttfitz said:

After such a ringing endorsement...

lol

I kinda thought the same thing after posting it lol

Someone else could have a different opinion. A lot of people like Rick Remender. I did like the series, as I said a few times. 😁

Maybe we should trade and you can tell me if you agree?! 

I heard awhile back it got optioned for a TV show?

1 hour ago, Raze said:

Maybe we should trade and you can tell me if you agree?! 

Well, I don't know if I'd go THAT far.... :)

But I see it's on Hoopla. So I might check it out. Good news, it's on Hoopla. Bad news, only thru issue 19, and I think your trouble with it happened after that?

On 2/7/2021 at 5:43 PM, piper said:

Just finished Thor by Donny Cates 1-8 on Marvel Unlimited. Always happy to see Galactus show up.

Doctor Aphra 30-40

Black Magick 12-16

Immortal Hulk 39

Strange Academy 5

Edited by piper