• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1000 books in 2021
6 6

385 posts in this topic

Previous count 148

Continuing on with the Batman '66 titles....

Batman '66 Meets the Legion of Super-Heroes One Shot

More good work on these books from the Allreds, appropriate amount of TV Batman wackiness. Thumbs up.

Batman '66 Meets Wonder Woman '77 1-6

Fits my feelings on the majority of the main Batman '66 title - good Batman story, just not Batman '66. Or Wonder Woman '77, for that matter - Wonder Woman does not fly! There was one thing they did that I thought was rather clever - it was essentially 3 linked stories; the first two issues featured the WWII version of WW77 and a young Bruce Wayne, next two issues were set in 1966 for the Batman segment, and the final two in 1977 with Wonder Woman and a retired Batman

Archie Meets Batman '66 1-6

I believe this completes the Batman '66 titles, and not a moment too soon. I would put this one at the bottom of the list of them all, it really didn't do it for me at any level. Batman stuff wasn't very Batman '66 wacky, Archie stuff wasn't Archie funny, just fell flat all over. Not even a good Batman story, as in the others. Also didn't care for the artwork - Dan Parent's Archie stuff was excellent Archie-ish, but it just made the Batman side of things look a little off. Some fun covers, though.

Something is Killing the Children 15

Conclusion to the Archer's Peak storyline. Overall a decent title. Looking forward to the upcoming "Secret origin" of Erica Slaughter.

So that's it for now, kiddies. Look for us again, same Bat time... wait, series is over. Oh well.

Running total hits... 162

Flash 261-265.  This was an epic classic arc when I was little, now not quite so much, but a pleasant Cary Bates palate cleanser.

Avengers 151-153, Annual 6.  Continuing on from the Squadron Supreme stories.  I'll probably keep rolling with this for awhile.

Super Friends 1, 3-5, 7, 11, 16-17, 19-22, 27, 29-30.  Talk about a palate cleanser.

Warlock 1-8, and then continuing the story into Hulk 176-178.

In the letter column for Warlock 8, the editor (Roy Thomas, I think) laments the book's cancellation and says, "we don't know what we did wrong".  Maybe I can help.  The stories and art were a little on the dull side with no real memorable villains, and the supporting cast are all pretty vanilla.  There were some good ideas, but the books read....OK.  "OK" is tough when you're trying to sell something brand new.  I hate to call for a Spider-Man crossover, but I think the creative team's decision to stay out of the mainstream MU might have been ill-advised.

4 hours ago, kccoig14 said:

I was really excited that they finally reprinted Scene of the Crime. I read the first 2 issues I found in some back issue bins awhile ago but never got to read the rest until now.

I've been a fan of Brubaker since his Sleeper days, and I've got a bunch of his stuff around here waiting for me to read, bought solely because his name was on them. I'm glad you pointed this one out, I missed seeing the reprint (and might not have realized at the time that I didn't have it in my "to be read" file if I had), and I just sent an email to my LCS to see about getting a copy, so thanks.

98-108 

Swamp thing 14-24 ( 1st series )

I ended up buying the Omnibus since I liked everything I read.

I still like the issues after Wein and I thought Nestor Redondos art was great! 

I didnt get how/why they ended the first series but I guess Ill find out when I start the 2nd series...

DC170208-315E-40C8-8F43-E60BBAF4C389.jpeg

This week's update, starting count 162

Dan the Unharmable 1-12

I'm a fan of Stray Bullets, and so Lapham is on my "favorite writers" list. Cam across this during The Great Comic Sort™ and thought I'd pull it out for a read. Since it is a David Lapham book, it is of course full of memorable - and quirky - characters, sometimes out there situations, and plenty of sex, drugs, and rock 'n' roll. So I would recommend it to anyone who likes the sound of that; HOWEVER, if you are a fan of stories that come to a satisfactory conclusion, you might want to skip this one. It appears it was cancelled, and he did try to tie things up, but I found it very lacking in the resolution of the story. So just be warned.

Doomsday.1 #1-4

Another favorite author, John Byrne, brings us the tale of what happens after the end of the world. Not my favorite Byrne work, by any means, but halfway decent. Wish there was more of it, I was just starting to get interested in the characters.

Johnny Dynamite: Underworld 1-4

Dipping back into the Max Allan Collins pile. Johnny Dynamite is in the mold of your classic noir private eye - hard drinkin', quick fisted, shoot first and maybe ask questions later - but (at least in this story) with a bit of supernatural goodness thrown in. Not a whole lot of detecting going on, but plenty of action and intrigue to keep the books moving. 

So, if I've done the math right, that gets me to .... 182

On 3/22/2021 at 9:38 PM, srezvan said:

From March 9 to March 21 I read the Y the Last Man omnibus. This was the first omnibus I ever tried to read cover to cover. It was heavy, but it did increase the pace of my reading. It was a really good story. Some spoiler-ish stuff below.

20210321_195544.thumb.jpg.856a17f38965fc47996595e0c0246004.jpg

Yeah, some of those things are a real load. My son got me The Walking Dead Compendium One for Christmas one year, and that was rough to read. But man, it just doesn't stack up to that one! Less than 5 lbs, I just weighed it. Can't imagine trying to read one almost twice the size.

Previous count, 182

The High Ways 1-4

Another Byrne mini-series, and a similar review to the previous one. Not the best Byrne work, by far, but still a decent read. A bit of space opera, with a twist or two along the way. Could have been longer, I think there was a lot that could have been gone into more if there was more space for it.

(Matt Fraction's) Hawkeye 1-22; Annual 1

This looks bad. So, bro, I started reading this, bro, because a couple bros here suggested that a bro might like it. Seriously? Seriously? Yeah, bro, this book about a bro with a bow and arrow, and a ladybro with a bow and arrow, not to mention the dog bro, I kinda liked it, bro. That Fraction bro did a pretty good job, bro. So, seriously? Check it out, bro.

Okay, enough of that. Yeah, it was pretty good. At times it felt repetitive, but in a good way. Very much enjoyed the pizza dog viewpoint issue, was frustrated (and thus it worked) by the deaf viewpoint issue, and even liked the Kate Bishop issues even though I wasn't at all familiar with her as Hawkeye. It wasn't all perfect - I get that Kate is a teenage girl who might not know a lot of cultural stuff from years ago, but for someone who had in the same issue referenced Nurse Rachet, Mike Brady, the Bates Motel, makes a Joltin' Joe Frazier pun, not to mention "Tate/LaBianca security", it was jarring when she responds to the Sam Spade-ish character mentioning "The Maltese Falcon" by saying "I don't know who that is." C'mon, man!

But overall it was pretty futzing good.

I think that gets us to ... 209.

Let's keep it simple this time.  Avengers 154-180, plus the crossover into Super Villain Team Up 9.

Truly the Korvac Saga is Jim Shooter's masterpiece, and an all-time Avengers run.  He weaves in many characters and subplots and it's always a plus to have George Perez on your team.  My one complaint is Shooter's characterization of Captain America as an angry, hot-headed drill sergeant.  

I tend to forget that not until late in the story is even the reader aware that 'Michael' is Korvac.  I don't think it comes up in Starhawk's fight with him in 168, and up until the reveal in 175, there's not even really a clue.

I also forget that is isn't entirely a Shooter / Perez production, since Perez was just doing the covers after 171, I think, and Shooter farmed out a lot of the writing as he was promoted in the middle of the arc.

4 hours ago, Savoyard23 said:

Truly the Korvac Saga is Jim Shooter's masterpiece, and an all-time Avengers run.  He weaves in many characters and subplots and it's always a plus to have George Perez on your team.  My one complaint is Shooter's characterization of Captain America as an angry, hot-headed drill sergeant.  

It's a pretty good story, for sure, read that last year. Don't really remember that about Cap, but possibly because that's not a bad description of how he acted at times in those early Cap/Hawkeye/Quicksilver/Scarlet Witch issues of Avengers.

7 hours ago, ttfitz said:

It's a pretty good story, for sure, read that last year. Don't really remember that about Cap, but possibly because that's not a bad description of how he acted at times in those early Cap/Hawkeye/Quicksilver/Scarlet Witch issues of Avengers.

I have a great fondness for that early era, but it's been a few years since I've read those issues.  I don't remember Cap being quite so...explosive, but maybe I'll add them to this project and remind myself.  Then again, the way Hawkeye and sometimes Quicksilver behaved back then, they'd have gotten on my last nerve too.

After enjoying the Wandavision series I went back and read all the events that surrounded the whole "no more mutants saga". Even though I had originally read them when they were first published it was a joy to be able to read all of them again, without having to waits months in between :x...And there was sooo much I had forgotten...wow

Anyway this left little time for newer issues, but in the end I managed to read 187 comics last month.

March 2021 

187 comics read.

• New X-men 142-154
  • Thor #80-85
  • Iron Man #84-85
  • Spectacular Spider-Man #15-20
  • Captain America & The Falcon #5-7
  • Captain America #29-32
  • Avengers #500-503
  • Iron Man #86-89
  • Avengers Finale #1
  • Fantastic Four #517-519
  • Excalibur #11-14
  • House of M #1-8
  • Fantastic Four: House of M #1-3
  • Spider-Man: House of M #1-5
  • Iron Man: House of M #1-3
  • Incredible Hulk: House of M #83-86
  • Uncanny X-Men #462-465
  • Mutopia X #1-4
  • Cable & Deadpool #17
  • The Pulse #10
  • Uncannly X-Men #463-465
  • New Thunderbolts #11
  • Black Panther #7
  • New X-Men #16-19
  • Exiles #69-71
  • Captain America #10
  • Wolverine #33-35
  • Giant Size Ms. Marvel #1
  • Son Of M 1-6
  • New Excalibur #1-2-3
  • X-Factor #1-2-3-4
  • Decimation: House of M - The Day After #1
  • Generation M #1 - Generation M 1-2-3-4
  • X-Men #177-179
  • New X-Men #20-23
  • Wolverine #36 - 40
  • The Uncanny X-Men #466-468
  • Mutopia X #5
  • X-Men: Deadly Genesis #1-6
  • Son of M #1 - One Day In The Life Of Pietro Maximoff... Sapiens
  • X-Men: The 198 #1-5
  • Sentinel Squad O*N*E  - Tin Can Heroes, 1-5
  • New Avengers #16 -20
  • X-Men Unlimited #13 - Blind Love A Wonderful Life
  • 40 seconds #4
  • Abbott 1973 1-2
  • An unkindness of Ravens 5
  • Barbalien Red Planet 1-4
  • Beastlands 2
  • Black Angel 1 (59 pages = 2 comics)
  • Black Cat 2-3
  • Black Hammer Visions 1
  • Black Widow 5
  • Blade Runner 2029 #2
  • Byte Sized 2
  • Casual Fling 1
  • Champions 4
  • Colonel weird Cosmagog 4
  • Conan The Barberian 16
  • Creatures the City that never sleeps (73 pages = 3 comics)
  • Crime Syndicate 1
  • Crimson Flower 1
  • Daredevil 26-27

Total : 416 comics read in 2021

The good news: I've read 165 comics so far this year.

The bad news: I read the New Gods TPB. I've never been a fan of DC, and I think the only stories I've read are some of the more famous stories (Killing Joke, Kingdome Come, etc.). I think this series was recommended on the boards. I didn't like it at all. I still have high hopes for Darkseid in other TPBs I have, but this story was a stinker. Bad dialogue (I don't think Kirby used a period in the entire 11 issue series, just !s) and the story was all over the place. I was hopeful that the last two stories would be better (Kirby had a 10 year gap to write them), but no. Ugh, just such a mess. 

20210404_175320.thumb.jpg.f36119c4ae72e6b9e65977c0890f724e.jpg

I think this splash page sums it up.

20210403_232807.thumb.jpg.58e70c61608dcfbb4f9a90e347dd6931.jpg

Up next, I'm reading Invincible. Maybe not all 25 TPBs in a row, but I'll get started.

On 3/31/2021 at 6:13 PM, Scrooge said:

Giant Days # 53 - 55

I'll go ahead and quote myself but I couldn't let this oversight standing.

Series that ended: Giant Days ended. The story ran its course: the girls graduated from college. This had been among my favorite reads these past few years. You would find me first in line every time a new TPB was available at the library. The characters were shaped early on in the series. They evolved through their experiences in college but never were denatured and we were able to laugh with and at them through their ups and downs. Each ended up being lovable with my fave being, of course, Esther. She provided many laughs. I will miss the girls, McGraw and the rest of the gang.

10 hours ago, Raze said:

Undiscovered Country 7-12

I like the series so far. Pretty interesting and cant wait to see where they take it.

I dropped out at # 8. As a matter of fact, I just filed # 8 without reading it (curse you pre-ordering). I'm game to hear what you enjoyed about the series though. It did not click with me. I liked the intrigue and the (forced?) variety of the team of characters sent to the U.S. but once we landed there, all the characters seemed wacky, rough and ham-fisted. Way too over the top for me.