• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Conventions in 2021
3 3

65 posts in this topic

Hello All! Welcome to 2021! I hope everyone had a good time bringing in the new year, & took the opportunity to kick 2020 in the giblets one last time on its way out the door. 

*A quick technical note, I only looked up the convention schedules for USA & Canada, as those are the only countries I think I’ll be able to travel between this year due to the various quarantine travel restrictions. I also know this is an incomplete list; I only looked at the “big” shows. I highly encourage adding posts with local/smaller show info & international shows, for those who may be interested.

A bunch of the early 2021 conventions (January/Feburary) have already posted cancelation & postponement notices. I don’t think anyone is surprised. Looking ahead, who plans on attending where?

Megacon (Orlando, FL): March 18-21

Wondercon (Anaheim, CA): March 26-28

Motor City CC (Novi, MI): May 14-16

Comicpalooza (Houston, TX): May 21-23

Phoenix Fan Fusion (Phoenix, AZ): May 28-30

Celebrity Fan Fest (San Antonio, TX): June 10-13

Austin CC (Austin, TX): June 18-20

Fan Expo Vancouver (Vancouver, BC): June 25-27

SDCC (San Diego, CA): July 22-25

Rose City CC (Portland, OR): September 10-12

FanX SLC (Salt Lake City, UT): September 16-19

Dallas Fan Expo (Dallas, TX): September 17-19

LA CC (Los Angeles, CA): September 24-26

NYCC (NY, NY): October 1-4

ECCC (Seattle, WA): December 2-5

C2E2 (Chicago, IL): December 10-12

TBD: Amazing CC (Las Vegas, NV & Honolulu, HI)

I think it’s kind of neat to see C2E2 close out the 2021 season after being pretty much the only show of 2020 to go down under “normal” conditions (Note: The bathrooms at McCormick Place were still poorly maintained & half out-of-order; some things never change). I hope they have a little self-awareness built into the show in 2021 & have some fun with it.

Anyone making plans for specific shows?

We’re already booked for Comicpalooza in Houston; as time draws closer if people want to get together for dinner and/or drinks, I’ll post a thread & we can set up reservations. We’re considering Amazing (Las Vegas), FanX SLC, & possibly C2E2. Depends on how the world shakes out & work schedules. 

Edited by BabaLament
Remove typos.

Once I've had both courses of the COVID vaccine I'll be looking forward to Baltimore this year. It is also announced it's 2021 dates for Oct 21-24. So plenty of time to get stuck twice and then go to a con!

I cant wait. Im hoping the vaccine gets approved for kids by then as well, since my 11yo daughter loved Baltimore Comicon back in 2019, and was sad to not get to go in 2020. 

I'd love to go to Motor City and Baltimore this year (along with my local Wizard show in March but I don't think that one is happening).  I'm a little worried about Cons in May and June at this point with the slow role out on the vaccines.

You missed Calgary!

On a more serious note, I’m taking a wait and see approach and it will depend on restrictions, case counts, and vaccine roll out. It’s scheduled for late July/early August, so time will tell.

The US/Canada Border has been closed for several months so that could affect things as well.

Either way, I think shows will be quite scaled down compared to prior years.

24 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

I'd love to go to Motor City and Baltimore this year (along with my local Wizard show in March but I don't think that one is happening).  I'm a little worried about Cons in May and June at this point with the slow role out on the vaccines.

2020 for me was mostly eBay, Forums, and clink purchases.

I’ll be happy to go to a big show again.
I went to a few small shows in 2020, and they were well run, masked/socially distant affairs.
The problem is, that there were pretty much the same vendors at each show. New stock was limited.

I’m hoping HeroesCon will still be a go in June. Also want to go to Baltimore for the first time.

14 minutes ago, piper said:

You missed Calgary!

On a more serious note, I’m taking a wait and see approach and it will depend on restrictions, case counts, and vaccine roll out. It’s scheduled for late July/early August, so time will tell.

The US/Canada Border has been closed for several months so that could affect things as well.

Either way, I think shows will be quite scaled down compared to prior years.

No offence to our American brothers, but I’m in no rush to see the borders reopen.  There’s going to be a huge spike in cases after the holidays.   This thing is far from over, and a crowded comic convention is the last place I want to be. 

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

1 hour ago, miraclemet said:

Once I've had both courses of the COVID vaccine I'll be looking forward to Baltimore this year. It is also announced it's 2021 dates for Oct 21-24. So plenty of time to get stuck twice and then go to a con!

I cant wait. Im hoping the vaccine gets approved for kids by then as well, since my 11yo daughter loved Baltimore Comicon back in 2019, and was sad to not get to go in 2020. 

Here here and well said. Can’t wait for this Con to be back on, especially that time of year in the Harbor.  But, safety first (all the way around)

6E178667-E54A-4287-97C1-9AD190E1E4A3.jpeg

DC8BD788-0760-4588-A913-03957C226AA6.jpeg

9336E993-6110-4FBF-999A-4D7F8E6D45AA.jpeg

846854A5-A921-4E35-8C97-B263764E5875.jpeg

Edited by bluehorseshoe

31 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

No offence to our American brothers, but I’m in no rush to see the borders reopen.  There’s going to be a huge spike in cases after the holidays.   This thing is far from over, and a crowded comic convention is the last place I want to be. 

As long as I can get my Dare Maple Leaf cookies, I don't care what happens. 

Sadly, I agree. The calendar flipping to January isn't going to magically erase what we lost in 2020. If you're in a state like Texas, Florida or Georgia you likely have a good chance, but outside of that - forget it.

Edited by snitzer

1 hour ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

No offense taken. I don’t blame you one bit. With the terrible job this country has done with this virus. I don’t blame any country for wanting us to stay out. I only wish we would do the same thing. 

1 hour ago, Murphman13 said:

Considering the California health officials wouldn’t let 500 family members into yesterday’s Rose Bowl that holds 80,000 + (causing it to be moved to Texas), I’m betting that Wondercon’s chances of happening in late March are slim at best.

Don’t even consider WonderCon this year. 2nd year in a row canceled. With the virus raging in SO CA due to Thanksgiving and the numbers not even in from Christmas, we are in for dark times for at least 3 or 4 more months. Couple that with the extremely slow roll out of the vaccine, I would even say SDCC could be iffy as well. You couldn’t pay me enough to go to a show right now. 

Edited by Robot Man