• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Conventions in 2021
3 3

65 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, BabaLament said:

I think it’s kind of neat to see C2E2 close out the 2021 season after being pretty much the only show of 2020 to go down under “normal” conditions (Note: The bathrooms at McCormick Place were still poorly maintained & half out-of-order; some things never change). I hope they have a little self-awareness built into the show in 2021 & have some fun with it.

Things will never change at McCormick Place.  Unless you're a male going #1, avoid the show floor bathrooms at all cost.  As long as you can deal with another trip through security, get outside the show area and find one of the less trafficked facilities to do your business.

At the moment, I have plans for 2021 is only ONE comic con... Calgary Expo on July 30-Aug 2.  Given that how Canada is processing the rate of vaccine shots here ... the fact I am one of essential workers but I expect get mine by summertime maybe. The government is going with Heathcare employees, doctors and homecare workers as first with vaccines. After that, next is senior citizens in retirement homecare centres with high risk in health conditions. My mother is going be in the third phase as a senior citizen in good health (she told me she thinks will be in April to get vaccines). 

So you can see how slow the vaccine process is up here. I saw news on U.S. process ... it’s crazy how slow it is! Thus  I am not planning go to any comic con until well into fall season. I doubt SDCC will pull up without masks required. I am eyeing on ECCC in Seattle to go ... but this is on wait and see. Baltimore likewise.

4 hours ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

No offence to our American brothers, but I’m in no rush to see the borders reopen.  There’s going to be a huge spike in cases after the holidays.   This thing is far from over, and a crowded comic convention is the last place I want to be. 

What if they sell beer on the convention floor?

If there was a con tomorrow near me, or a short drive away...i would go. Supposedly I will be in phase 1 for a vaccine, but no word yet on when (because of my job, not my health).  Someone will have to make the move to start again.  Crowd limits, and ppe, but still, start slow and roll on.  I am hoping by late spring that there is good news.  

5 hours ago, snitzer said:

Sadly, I agree. The calendar flipping to January isn't going to magically erase what we lost in 2020. If you're in a state like Texas, Florida or Georgia you likely have a good chance, but outside of that - forget it.

Texas, Florida, Georgia. All fantastic places to live. 

7 hours ago, piper said:

You missed Calgary!

wait and see approach and it will depend on restrictions, case counts, and vaccine roll out. It’s scheduled for late July/early August, so time will tell.

The US/Canada Border has been closed for several months so that could affect things as well.

Either way, I think shows will be quite scaled down compared to prior years.

Hoping Calgary Expo end of July/21 will be first large con Canadians can realistically attend 'safely.' I think Fan Expo Vancouver (FEV) end of June, 2021 will be too soon, :) as BC Health restrictions seem to be tighter than AB's. Don't think Canucks will want to fly into USA cons and cordone/stay in that city for 14 full days before flying back to cordone at home for another 14 days.

1 hour ago, Summydad1 said:

Texas, Florida, Georgia. All fantastic places to live. 

Agree. We’re looking to ditch VA for Missouri...as close as we’ll get (we need seasons! Lol) 👍

Edited by snitzer

My wife and I have plans to fly to Charlotte for Heroes Con in June. Do they not have VIP tickets? What's the best hotel for this con? Where do the comic guests stay? Anybody on the board local to Charlotte? Whats a cant miss dinner while there?

3 hours ago, aardvark88 said:

Hoping Calgary Expo end of July/21 will be first large con Canadians can realistically attend 'safely.' I think Fan Expo Vancouver (FEV) end of June, 2021 will be too soon, :) as BC Health restrictions seem to be tighter than AB's. Don't think Canucks will want to fly into USA cons and cordone/stay in that city for 14 full days before flying back to cordone at home for another 14 days.

The 14 days quarantine thing, is one of the bigger issues with me, in not going to any American comic cons while covid is in active everywhere until ALL citizens are vaccinated first. I’m going with what the present situation is now with the slow pace. But this could change if the pace is picked up more quicker ... it’s all a “wait and see” stand off.

I’m not very keen to waste one month total with quarantine from my jobs for a 4 days long weekend (or even a week long vacation) to have fun geeking out with comics and stuff. That’s a lot of money gone off my paycheques. Not worth it! That’s why I pick Calgary Expo as it’s within Canada.

2 minutes ago, IkewithMike said:

Calgary Expo is pushing really hard already about getting tickets. 

Personally I'm going to wait till it happens, no pre-order this year

60027421_408748049973752_7593334276171497472_n.gif?_nc_cat=108&ccb=2&_nc_sid=041f46&_nc_ohc=CqHc80iE58MAX9i_af5&_nc_ht=cdn.fbsbx.com&oh=72de9b5e0394b27d133f4ec1c8db38b6&oe=5FF30D09

I'm planning to attend Baltimore in late October, and I hope to be able to go to C2E2, which I attended in 2020 (in hindsight, the last thing I did with other people before hunkering down, and cannot believe I actually did). I also hope to be able to attend my local shows again by the second half of the year, as I miss them (and my local dealers) very much.

14 hours ago, bluehorseshoe said:

Here here and well said. Can’t wait for this Con to be back on, especially that time of year in the Harbor.  But, safety first (all the way around)

You wouldn't live in brawltimore if you were worried about safety.