• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Conventions in 2021
3 3

65 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, greggy said:
15 hours ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

No offence to our American brothers, but I’m in no rush to see the borders reopen.  There’s going to be a huge spike in cases after the holidays.   This thing is far from over, and a crowded comic convention is the last place I want to be. 

What if they sell beer on the convention floor?

Beer?

Bah.

My flask is good to go.

13 hours ago, Robot Man said:

No offense taken. I don’t blame you one bit. With the terrible job this country  state has done with this virus. I don’t blame any country for wanting us to stay out. I only wish we would do the same thing. 

FITFY

Edited by lizards2
believe me, I wish you'd stay the heck out of the next state north.

15 minutes ago, BuscemasAvengers said:
11 hours ago, greggy said:

What if they sell beer on the convention floor?

You do mean sudsy US water they like to call beer, right?

Lotsa good stuff in the US now. This ain't 1975 anymore. :sumo: 

Edited by lizards2
I heard we's got Bud Lime...., ??

Comicpalooza had bottled alcoholic beverages available at drink vendors on the show floor, but I didn’t see them doing a whole lot of business; while the Pecos Pete Root Beer & Soda kiosks were killing it! Helpful hint for those who attend, buy the convention year-themed souvenir mug the first day of the show before they sell out. It’s $25, but gets you free refills the rest of the weekend. 

As far as adult beverages & socialization goes during the show, it was a good time. The lobby bar at the Hilton was packed every night until the early morning hours, Papasitos Cantina was slammed solid each night, and there were lots of people hanging out in the seating areas playing board games or just relaxing with discreetly open containers. As long as nobody was rowdy, the Hilton staff were chill & accommodating.

Speaking of, if attending Comicpalooza & staying at the Hilton, Pro Tip: if it’s in your budget, pay the extra $50/night per room for access to the executive floor lounge. It gets you a nice quality hot breakfast buffet, plus unlimited bottled soda, water, coffee, juice, tea, and snacks (cookies, chips, granola bars) all day. At night they have warm appetizers & the bartenders have been great (cash bar). It’s quieter than the lobby areas but still has plenty of room for a group of people to play board/card games, or chat about their daily good finds & times. Considering the convention center area prices for food & beverage, it’s not a bad deal for a group of four; $12.50/ea for breakfast each day + daily drinks & snacks. The view is incredible, especially during a thunderstorm.

I haven’t stayed at the Marriott (yet), but I am seriously tempted. It’s also attached to the convention center, so no need to leave the comfort of air conditioning between the hotel & show during the Texas summer; but the pool deck there looks amazing; they have a lazy River pool in the shape of Texas on the roof!

Edited by BabaLament

Just now, BabaLament said:

@lizards2Lol! It’s snacks; bite-size quiche, little meatballs with toothpicks, stuff like that. Nothing haute cuisine or overly weird. Not that I’d mind caviar & a seafood tower... 

:eek: 

Denver comic con also known as pop culture con has cancelled its 2021 show scheduled in May. They are in financial trouble

https://theknow.denverpost.com/2020/12/07/denver-pop-culture-con-2021-canceled/250246/

Mega Con has been moved to August. I think that leaves Wondercon as the only big show left that is scheduled before May this year. 

Just imagine if all the rest of the shows actually happen. The back half of this years convention schedule will be insane.

Edited by Murphman13

On 1/3/2021 at 11:50 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Jim @Guardian Comics and the crew were already sketched out by my day drinking . Not sure how they would have reacted to a flask. :insane:

Those days are long gone buddy...If I'm not day drinking on the show floor making deals, something is indeed wrong. ;)

I have tickets to Awesome Con in DC late August and Baltimore (carry over from last year for both). I would be really surprised if Awesome Con happens, an outside chance on Baltimore if vaccinations actually pick up the pace.

Still Magic 8 Ball says "Outlook not so good."