• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic 'lost and found' stories...
1 1

45 posts in this topic

A couple.  I had described an odd double cover book I owned over in the double cover thread, but I could not find it when I went to look.  It finally turned up having fallen between a couple comic boxes when I was moving everything because of the fire in my apartment building... I'm describing finding that as one of the few good things to come out of the whole mess.  (Everybody got out of the building safe, and the fire was at the far end, so while I had to move with no notice my stuff wasn't damaged.)

x-180 DC.jpeg

29 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

not comics but coins, i hid a box of coins in my house about five years ago (worth about $1500) i didn't write down where i put them and i can't for the life of me find them now...boy did i hide them good ...

you can use the pendulum method to recover info buried in subconscious-i have used it successfully to help friends find lost keys etc.  you hold pendulum and ask yourself is it in the living room etc.  up and down swing means yes, back and forth no.  then you start narrowing it down-is it in the left side of room?  sounds insane but it can work.  i blew my friend's mind when i quickly located her keys amid yard sale boxes and piles of stuff.

2 minutes ago, kav said:

you can use the pendulum method to recover info buried in subconscious-i have used it successfully to help friends find lost keys etc.  you hold pendulum and ask yourself is it in the living room etc.  up and down swing means yes, back and forth no.  then you start narrowing it down-is it in the left side of room?  sounds insane but it can work.  i blew my friend's mind when i quickly located her keys amid yard sale boxes and piles of stuff.

That's what she said

51 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

A couple.  I had described an odd double cover book I owned over in the double cover thread, but I could not find it when I went to look.  It finally turned up having fallen between a couple comic boxes when I was moving everything because of the fire in my apartment building... I'm describing finding that as one of the few good things to come out of the whole mess.  (Everybody got out of the building safe, and the fire was at the far end, so while I had to move with no notice my stuff wasn't damaged.)

x-180 DC.jpeg

X-Men #180, I take it? :) Cool! Off-topic, but that's super weird that it seems to be a newsstand cover over a direct sale cover.

50 minutes ago, kav said:

you hold pendulum and ask yourself is it in the living room etc.  up and down swing means yes, back and forth no.  then you start narrowing it down-is it in the left side of room?  sounds insane but it can work.  

CREEP!!

4 hours ago, Point Five said:

I misplaced an old comic and it's been driving me batty for a few weeks now. My collection is not one of those 'last scene of Raiders of the Lost Ark' situations... there's basically three short boxes and a few small magazine files where it would logically be, so I obviously put it someplace really random and stupid that has yet to reveal itself. Arrgh.

Post your stories where you lost a book... and, optionally, the heartwarming ending where sometime later it was miraculously found. :) 

lol The rest of my temporary misplacement stories are like that, but a few years ago, I found a bunch of comics in a plain (non-comic) box behind some stuff on a shelf. They must have been there for about a decade.

There were maybe a couple dozen books that I was wondering why I couldn't find when I fully sorted and inventoried my collection. Nothing of any real importance or value, but stuff I knew I had. There was also a bunch of stuff I thought I had sold years ago and never missed, but am glad I still have now because I can sell some of them for a lot more now than I would have then! :banana:

Back in 2018 I was away for two weeks.  I had bought a couple of things on eBay and when I arrived home, I opened them to find that the seller had done such a good job bagging and boarding the books he sandwiched the raw copies in between backing boards.  I just stuck in a box and moved on.  It was not until around this past fall that I finally rediscovered a few copies of the first RiRi and Shuri.

As far as misplacing a book?   I could not find a copy of Batman 227 in a 9.4 for awhile... turned out I inexplicably put it in a box of yellow label books.   What am I currently missing?  I could have sworn I had like 3-4 raw copies of ASM 300 beside the slabbed copy.  I went looking in my raw run and only found one raw copy.   Now, I cannot remember if I sold a couple or if they are filed away in the wrong ASM box.     I do not have a colossal collection either. 

Non comic stuff? 

When I was a kid I was worried that someone might take money of mine so I hid $100 bills that I would get in between comics and their backing boards.  Someone got lucky... let's leave it at that. 

Around ten years ago, I had misplaced a 1st Luke with double telescoping lightsaber from the early bird set.  Realized later on that it was not in the house but in storage at a relative's house with misfiled with GI Joes.

A recent check of my inventory showed I was missing Avengers 389, Cap 114 and Thor 128.

Really infuriating as they are listed in my software app. 

Av 389 isn't a problem to replace but I knew had the other 2 somewhere. 

Anyway,  I found Cap 113 - I've got it slabbed at 7.5. Was very nice as I have no recollection at all of buying it. Still no Thor though. 

On the upside, I found I had a Dr Strange 169 which I didn't know about. 

I had a Eternals #1. I know I had it in my collection but can't find it.

BUT while looking for it I found the

Ultimate FF 21 Variant cover

Incredible Hulk 449 and a few others I thought I sold. So maybe I sold the wrong book

1 hour ago, Point Five said:

X-Men #180, I take it? :) Cool! Off-topic, but that's super weird that it seems to be a newsstand cover over a direct sale cover.

Nice ID'ing of the book with just the corner I showed in the picture.  And agreed, it's a weird one.  That's why I was so frustrated when I couldn't find it... It's enough of an oddball that I understand why people were skeptical about it without a picture.

5 hours ago, Point Five said:

I misplaced an old comic and it's been driving me batty for a few weeks now. My collection is not one of those 'last scene of Raiders of the Lost Ark' situations... there's basically three short boxes and a few small magazine files where it would logically be, so I obviously put it someplace really random and stupid that has yet to reveal itself. Arrgh.

Post your stories where you lost a book... and, optionally, the heartwarming ending where sometime later it was miraculously found. :) 

I’m still looking for a copy of HFH 1

I vaguely remember putting it inside a book to keep it safe.

It could literally be anywhere in my storage unit. :tonofbricks: 

14 minutes ago, bronze_rules said:

I just bought brand new glasses for an arm and a leg.  I lost them the same weekend.:cry:

try the pendulum.  if you have glasses you can put a phone # on, do it.

i tossed in a freebie when i first started selling on eBay five years ago ,, a comic from my childhood collection, i hated the cover and thought it was drek..

it was a DC Presents #26 in unread high grade....

i found out is was a key , i knew i had it , looked all over before i remembered what i had done with it....

Edited by 1950's war comics