• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Kirby Spider-Man
1 1

41 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, MatterEaterLad said:

That's definitely evident when you see his collective work on the web-slinger. 

yep I hadnt realized till it was all laid out.  couldnt draw superman either.  I wonder why-even amateurs can draw these guys.

4 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

His cover for Amazing Fantasy 15 is a classic, but for me, that's about all.

Ditko was a far, far better match.

Ditko could convey the ordinary, scrawny teenager under the costume look, Kirby's exaggerated figurework completely missed that vital quality.  I'm a huge Kirby fan, but his style wasn't suited to this character.

not only that when he did try to draw him everything is awkward and out of proportion.  Maybe he didnt like drawing spider man-thats what happens when I dont feel like drawing something-it sucks.

10 minutes ago, kav said:

not only that when he did try to draw him everything is awkward and out of proportion.  Maybe he didnt like drawing spider man-thats what happens when I dont feel like drawing something-it sucks.

In another thread we talked about spiders often having thin legs despite their power, strength and speed, and so it isn't necessary for a teenager with arachnid attributes to look pumped up, as with Kirby's default figurework style, just scrawny while deceptively powerful, as drawn brilliantly by Ditko.  That's why Kirby's version looks wrong to me, and I feel misses the point.  

Edited by Ken Aldred

15 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

His cover for Amazing Fantasy 15 is a classic, but for me, that's about all.

Who is to blame for the "let's just use a pencil eraser to indicate motion" decision on the Amazing Fantasy #15 cover?  Every time I look at it, it makes me think some kid in the 1960s damaged the cover.

3 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

In another thread we talked about spiders often having thin legs despite their power and strength, and so it isn't necessary for a teenager with arachnid attributes to look pumped up, as with Kirby's default figurework style, just scrawny while deceptively powerful, as drawn brilliantly by Ditko.  That's why Kirby's version looks wrong to me, and I feel misses the point.  

sure but dont forget the overall awkwardness-cap didnt look like that when kirby drew 'im:
KIrby_pencils_Spiderman.jpgmarvelmania_magazine_005__1970__pagecover.jpg

1 minute ago, valiantman said:

Who is to blame for the "let's just use a pencil eraser to indicate motion" decision on the Amazing Fantasy #15 cover?  Every time I look at it, it makes me think some kid in the 1960s damaged the cover.

lol I never noticed wth

3 minutes ago, valiantman said:

I never noticed that detail either.  They more resemble plane vapour trails.

2 minutes ago, kav said:
4 minutes ago, valiantman said:

lol I never noticed wth

The shapes and directions of the motion lines are all weird, some really do look like a pencil eraser with a "Whoops!  Oh well..." sort of reaction.

Lee & Ditko: AMAZING FANTASY #15 – The Tom Brevoort Experience

2 minutes ago, valiantman said:

The shapes and directions of the motion lines are all weird, some really do look like a pencil eraser with a "Whoops!  Oh well..." sort of reaction.

The bad guy's left foot is really flying, including something invisible zooming under his toe, but Spidey's feet don't have any motion. Spidey's neck has "thick motion" and his butt had some motion that ended just before this image.

4 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

I never noticed that detail either.  They more resemble plane vapour trails.

Most of the "vapour trails" are superimposed on the sky, but I have just noticed that a few of them extend across over the building to the right.

At least it didn't take me 50 years to spot that.  

The bad guy's left foot is really flying, including something invisible zooming under his toe, but Spidey's feet don't have any motion. Spidey's neck has "thick motion" and his butt had some motion that ended just before this image.

If you are swinging from a thread, overhead, the motion will be an arc, not a straight line.
I dont care how radioactive his blood is.