• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Kirby Spider-Man
1 1

41 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, kav said:

and ps placing your palm on someone's lower ribs does not enable you to hold onto them in flight.
Not even close.

That's what she said. 

4 minutes ago, Cliff R. said:

If he can scale a sheer wall,  he could.  And he did.   :baiting:

wouldnt the cloth just rip loose tho?

5 hours ago, MatterEaterLad said:

Artist Kerry Callan posted all the Kirby Spidey he could find.

Callan should get his hands on a copy of ASM 8.

In mild defense of my hero, most of the clunkier examples shown are from quite late in Kirby’s career. But I like Kav’s thought that Kirby may not have liked drawing Spidey.

32 minutes ago, piper said:

Are we really attacking the cover to AF15?

(Yes, I agree that Kirby couldn’t draw Spidey to save his life.)

I think Romita Senior did Spider-man better than both Kirby and Ditko... but that's always a 'fun' one to bring up. 

30 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:
1 hour ago, piper said:

Are we really attacking the cover to AF15?

(Yes, I agree that Kirby couldn’t draw Spidey to save his life.)

I think Romita Senior did Spider-man better than both Kirby and Ditko... but that's always a 'fun' one to bring up. 

Couldn't agree more

And just to clarify, I like Ditko but I prefer his work on non-superhero stuff. 

Edited by Jeffro.

On 1/2/2021 at 6:34 PM, MatterEaterLad said:

Artist Kerry Callan posted all the Kirby Spidey he could find.

Thanks for the link.

The pictures from FF Annual #3 are interesting:

Spidey_Panel.jpg.346b3f752304ef07e84c0dd8f8e193fe.jpg   ASM-19.jpg.46e65f94ebd8964bdfd52e2c95c6e1ea.jpg

The associated text says:

"There was only one panel with Spider-Man in the story drawn by Kirby. It looks like a pose based on Ditko's Amazing Spider-Man #19 cover. I wonder how the original Kirby's pencils looked."

The FFA#3 Spidey image looks more like the one from the 1967 cartoon to me:

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.98e9121e06ba001805f7f055b0f9f50a.jpg

And it's so small and detailed, it looks like it was a photostat cut in rather than drawn by Kirby on the page.

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.98e9121e06ba001805f7f055b0f9f50a.jpg2487725_Spidey_Panel(2).jpg.d822606ffbe5c5cdbd5b4af62f060ad5.jpg hm 19.jpg.9e094ff962a9a46efa3b1516df860917.jpg

Cool. 

On 1/2/2021 at 3:05 PM, kav said:

If you are swinging from a thread, overhead, the motion will be an arc, not a straight line.
I dont care how radioactive his blood is.

One possible explanation....he was at the end point of the arc and slid 15 feet down the webbing length toward the end of the webbing...

Just now, JohnFranklin said:

One possible explanation....he was at the end point of the arc and slid 15 feet down the webbing length toward the end of the webbing...

thats a damn good explanation.

when you use a old style slingshot like david and goliath the stone will travel perpendicular to where it was released.  if you try to release it in front of you congrats you just hit your buddy to the side.

Edited by kav