• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1st appearance of Mr. Sinister?

5 posts in this topic

I was getting some books ready for eBay today, and as I will sometimes do, I was checking out the Marvel fandom wiki to see if there are additional notes I should include in the listing. On the page for Heroes for Hope starring the X-Men (link below), amongst the character appearances listed is "A crowd of Magneto's followers, including The Blob, Scarlet Witch, Adolf Hitler, and Mr. Sinister." The last one caught my eye, as this book was published a year before the first mention of Mr. Sinister in Uncanny X-Men, and nearly two years before he actually appeared in the book. So I checked it out, and this is the panel in question:

IMG_1539.thumb.jpg.96c7d290e216895188e36a4b5e056914.jpg

It seems unlikely that this is supposed to be Mr Sinister, as these pages were written by Alan Moore, not Claremont. The question then is, who is this supposed to be? My initial thought is Colossus, but this isn't what his outfit looked like in 1985. Unless it was an artist working off of old reference, when Colossus did have weird shoulder projections on his costume, and the colorist didn't bother to check that they should be red. Any other thoughts?

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Heroes_for_Hope_Starring_the_X-Men_Vol_1_1

That is interesting. It does look like Mr sinister. Why would Colossus be hanging out with Magnetos followers? This is a neat find, I’m curious to see what it turns out to be.

Edited by BrooksR