• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rarer than hens' teeth. Larger than Marlon Brando as Jor-El
1 1

8 posts in this topic

I have nothing to add of value alas, being a Golden thread, but that title did make me laugh :bigsmile:

Larger than Marlon Brando as Jor-El

1 hour ago, IngelsFan said:

I love these oversized books, along with New Fun and early Jumbos

Good call! Thanks for reminding me.  Caffeine wins again! :insane:

The first 8 issues of Fiction House's Jumbo were oversized, and unless I'm mistaken, all B&W until the format reverted to the standard GA comic size with issue #9.  DC's early More Fun, initially titled New Fun starting in Feb. 1935 was oversized as well (it started out as a 32 pager), increased in page count to 40 with issue #5 and editorial control shifted from Lloyd Jacquet to Malcolm Wheeler-Nicholson and there may have been a reduction in overall dimension with that issue.  Interior color was introduced along the way, mostly partial, gradually increasing to full color content. 

The name changed to More Fun with issue #7 with overall dimensions reduced to magazine size for this and the following issue both of which contained 40 pages; then with issue #9 the periodical turned to the standard comic book format size of the time and 64 pages.  I don't know what it is about 9th issues, but it doesn't look like larger sizes could survive it.

:tink:

Edited by Cat-Man_America
Ale, ...as usual!

44 minutes ago, Cat-Man_America said:

The first 8 issues of Fiction House's Jumbo were oversized, and unless I'm mistaken, all B&W until the format reverted to the standard GA comic size with issue #9.  

Jumbo 9 is also oversized, but smaller than issues 1-8.  It was a transitionary between-size similar to More Funs 7 and 8,