• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I HATE Priority medium flat rate square boxes
1 1

33 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, divad said:

Even those now need to be reinforced, as they have gotten very thin on the cardboard used.

Agreed; but at least they have room to do so sufficiently if you need to send a tallish stack. No question they need some combo of reinforcement/bubblewrap/TLC etc.

Not sure how much it saves shipping-wise versus straight weight and distance priority like @fastballspecial noted; I think getting the best shape to pack well is more important than couple bucks' difference either way in shipping. And there's no reason one can't ship priority in the box of one's choice, but I don't know offhand how shipping compares using any comparable-size brown box for Priority mail. But you guys have me thinking about running a bunch of hypotheticals across my postmaster's meter. hm 

I just did it to fit a cardboard OA sandwich in a box, and it was kinda fun in a wonky way to come up with something I could be comfortable packing in at a not-outrageous shipping cost. 

32 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

True sometimes difficult to understand the region, but in that case I will just use a plain Priority long box as well if they are closer to me to save them some money.

If they are close to you, any flat rate box is the worst choice.  Those are for long distances, like coast to coast.  Same price to ship to your next door neighbor as it is to go 3,000 miles, or further to Hawaii or Guam.  The shorter the distance, the worse deal it is.

For close destinations, almost always better to just go by weight and distance.  Unless you are near the top of the PM Flat Rate weight limit.  And even then it might be cheaper to avoid Flat Rate.

41 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

True sometimes difficult to understand the region, but in that case I will just use a plain Priority long box as well if they are closer to me to save them some money.

Not in my area.  I saw long boxes only once but never saw them again.  I normally use 16 x 12 x 6 Uline boxes.  Paying the postage little cheaper than Priority Mail boxes.

Edited by JollyComics

Those large flat rate square boxes are useful for protection inside those medium flat rate boxes.

Doing this protects the edges and corners of books I've found.

The large flat rate box can be cut into four rectangles to pack with.  Just trim the edges.

Measure your stack of comics compared to a hardback and make your "mold" using one rectangular piece.

I usually put all bagged and boarded loose comics in a magazine or larger bag which makes it easier to keep them in place when you tape them to the rectangle.  This board allows almost always more than a 1/4th inch at both the top and bottom which provides more safety for the edges and corners from damage inside the box.

Secure everything with tape, wrap around some bubble wrap and slide that puppy right into your medium size flat rate box.  Add a little packing on the sides, and there you go.

These can be used inside the large flat rate boxes too...but it's a little tighter.

All this only takes a few minutes plus it's all free packing materials... & keeps everyone happy 😁

No idea why pics are upside down here...so consider it a challenge lol

xxx ooo

Rupp

IMG_20210102_214353931.jpg

IMG_20210102_214459515.jpg

IMG_20210102_214538420.jpg

IMG_20210102_214648501.jpg

IMG_20210102_214815408.jpg

IMG_20210102_214901083.jpg

IMG_20210102_214917831.jpg

IMG_20210102_214935488.jpg

Edited by Bio-Rupp

2 minutes ago, JollyComics said:

Not in my area.  I saw long boxes only once but never saw them again.  I normally use 16 x 12 x 6 Uline boxes.  Little cheaper than Priority Mail boxes.

You can order whatever size USPS box you need.  They're free, unlike U-Line.  So now you have to add the cost of the U-Line box, and they are pricey.  Since they are at least twice the volume, more packing materials, too.

49 minutes ago, Lightning55 said:

You can order whatever size USPS box you need.  They're free, unlike U-Line.  So now you have to add the cost of the U-Line box, and they are pricey.  Since they are at least twice the volume, more packing materials, too.

Yes, I agreed with you about Uline catalog price - pretty expensive.  I used to pick them up for no cost but they are NOW charging $15 for pick up!!!   That was my last purchase with Uline seven years ago. UPS shipping or Pick up fee are pretty same but their price is lame and ripoff.  Save all boxes from deliveries that cost me nothing.

Uline wants all customers to buy more products less money.  Mine is pretty minimum.

1 hour ago, Lightning55 said:

I used the largest priority box they have used for games and was able to ship about 20 pounds of 165 original art pages for under $20 if I remember correctly.

Edited by kav

20 minutes ago, JollyComics said:

From Priority Flat Rate envelope to Priority Flat Rate Large box up to 70 lbs.

mine might have been 30 poundsmaybe even 40-I just remember it was heavy AF and I couldnt believe I got off so cheap.

Just now, kav said:

mine might have been 30 poundsmaybe even 40-I just remember it was heavy AF and I couldnt believe I got off so cheap.

That's what she said.