• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best grab bag or raffle win?
2 2

30 posts in this topic

The lcs I frequented in my high school days used to sell,$5 Manila envelope “grab bags” with about 20 bucks worth of overstock. I couldn’t complain since it introduced me to the world of publishers outside of the big 2. Brian Bolland’s Judge Dredd and Dave Sim’s Cerebus were among the goodies. I see the one’s on eBay advertising major keys as a possibility and get tempted to buy out their entire stock just to sue them for fraud looking for a Spidey 129 in 100 $10 grab bags. 

Edited by B2D327
Autocorrect

On 1/3/2021 at 1:04 PM, kav said:

YOU GOT AN AF15 IN AN EBAY GRAB BAG???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

B.S. detector just blew up!!!

Raffles (or waffles or whatever dumb term sellers want to come up with) are still illegal, right?

Apart from the outcome being dubious, most sellers also build in a overhead (which they pocket) to account for "all of the work" they have to do in order to run a raffle.

A seller on Instagram yesterday was complaining that PayPal cut him off after he admittedly was running raffles and collecting via Friends and Family. And of course it's all PayPal's fault and they are a bad company, bla bla bla.

On 1/5/2021 at 11:05 AM, Calamerica said:

B.S. detector just blew up!!!

I've told the story before. Around 2013 I sold ebay grab bags. Nearly all the higher priced ones had a Marvel Special Edition 15 in 9.0-9.4 condition. Thank goodness I unloaded that garbage book.

In the early 2000s I bought a 75 comic bronze age grab bag for $50 from a seller who seemed reputable. No scans or pics. I had bought something from him before. He may have listed a couple of titles, bit not issues, and said they were all in Fine. I gave it a shot. The books were all 9.2 - 9.6, many mark jewelers, the Jungle Action Black Panther run, Black panther other than #1, nice marvel horror runs, marvel feature, red sonja. at the time none of these were that expensive, I doubt any were more than $5 each, but it was a good deal, mainly because he was wayyyy under on the average grade. Today the group is full of $10-$25 books because of the MJ and the condition. I think that was the only bona fide ebay grab bag I have ever bought. the rest just present themselves as too scammy.

not a huge hit, but pretty sweet. I got this from a $30 horror themed mystery box from the SellMyComics guys. I got two Spawn issues that I sold for more than I paid for the box and a stack of other cool bronze horror stuff. I've only ever bought two mystery boxes. I got a She-Hulk #1 out of the other one.

HoM174.jpg