• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BEST OF 2020: BUDGET EDITION - Discussion Thread
2 2

17 posts in this topic

This year's discussion thread will be moderated by Mogo. He finally decided to socialize a little.

1e5b4e78c46104aad3479bdf058d0039--green-lantern-corps-green-lanterns.jpg.fe272d74625e3ff34470a638531af4a0.jpg

So my main hope this year is for everyone to post this around on Comics General, Signature Series thread, Facebook, Instagram, etc. Looking over last year's entries, as great as they were, it just wasn't representative of the VOLUME of great budget art that sells throughout the year. Can you all help me out by cross-posting BUDGET EDITION around? Anyone know anybody at CBR.com, etc? Let's get some new posters on here.

Thanks all!

1 hour ago, GotSuperPowers? said:

Thanks for doing this @BCarter27!  I don't take part in the CAF event as it's normally the museum-quality (= dollars) pieces that win out, bit this one is a nice level(ish) playing field so I'm in, and posted!

Yeah, there are some big $ pieces, but most of my buys are under $1000 and they get votes. Two of the pieces that I'm entering here will be in my Best Of 2020 nominations.

Okay, some of you guys need to spill where you're finding these pieces!

I just went through and added one of my own, but there were several pieces listed that caused me to pause and think to myself "I can't believe so and so got that piece for under $600!!!" 

Some great finds being listed. (thumbsu

DISCUSSION

One of my posted pieces is from one of my collecting sub-themes - faux Sugar and Spike #100 covers.

I'm a big fan of Sheldon Mayer's work as editor, writer, and artist. Sheldon was the person who pulled Superman from the reject pile and put him into Action #1. He was DC's earliest and best editor involved in the creation of the JSA and most of its members. Additionally, he wrote and drew the wonderful Scribbly strip - a semi-autobiographical strip about a young cartoonist.

He's probably best known for Sugar and Spike; though, I have to admit that Scribbly is my favorite. The main S&S series went to 98 (in the US). In 1992, DC issued #99 (DC Silver Age Classics Sugar and Spike 99), but there has never been a 100th issue.

To fill the time as we wait for DC to create and publish S&S 100 and to honor Sheldon Mayer's most famous characters, I've commissioned a few 100th issue covers. I try to find artists with an all-ages feel and have them create the cover. Sometimes I participate a lot (for example, Fred Hembeck's where I had a very specific idea that he nailed) and sometimes very little (Katie Cook where I just asked for her Gronk characters with S&S).

In general, I shoot for S&S with the artist's own characters or characters I strongly associate with the artist, next I look for seasonal S&S gags since Sheldon did a lot of those, next I just ask for a funny cover. The main thing they have to remember is that S&S can't talk to adults, just other babies including animal babies.

Of course, I need artists with an all-ages sensibility and finding them isn't easy. So, at Heroescon 2018, I started a Sheldon Mayer sketchbook. I want it to contain drawings of Sheldon's many characters by artists that I think might be appropriate to those characters. I also want to use it as a test case to see if I want the artist involved in my Sugar and Spike #100 Cover sub-theme or maybe a Scribbly commission. I prepared a lot of reference material since Sheldon's creations aren't as well known as they should be in my opinion. Heck, Skottie Young didn't know who S&S were! (Kids these days! :) )

I mention this because it's received a few likes and I thought some might like to see the full collection.

Click on the image to be taken to the CAF gallery. (Yes, I acknowledge it's an odd theme, but ... You can read about more odd themes here.

Edited by alxjhnsn

2 hours ago, alxjhnsn said:

How do the number of posts compare to last year?

We had 88 entries last year and 83 thus far. So just about even Steven.

I'd love to see more sketch covers and commissions as I know there are a lot of those being made this year.

And just going by ebay alone, there are so many nice pieces available for $600 and under-

https://www.ebay.com/b/Collectible-Original-Comics-Art/3984/bn_2310945?LH_Sold=1&rt=nc&_dmd=1&_sop=16&_udhi=600

On 1/3/2021 at 8:38 AM, GotSuperPowers? said:

Thanks for doing this @BCarter27!  I don't take part in the CAF event as it's normally the museum-quality (= dollars) pieces that win out, bit this one is a nice level(ish) playing field so I'm in, and posted!

Its not about the big pieces but about seeing what people missed. I have been coordinating the Best of for about 20 years, even before its on CAF. Its an excuse to see all the great pieces I missed. I do hope more will participate this year. Added more categories and next year if Bill has the time we hope to tally revamp Best of on CAF.