• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 1 missing piece front cover

14 posts in this topic

Hi, first time poster here. This copy presents well, has been pressed, no tape, fully intact. Piece missing top right front cover. Is a 3.0 possible, or is this more 2.5/2.0 range? Have seen much less glossy 2.0s but then again I realize the missing piece is significant. Feedback appreciated. Thank you!

20201230_155806.jpg

As the book looks pretty decent otherwise, I could see this getting a 2.5 pretty easily, though it's market value may suffer a bit compared to some other 2.5s. There are examples of rougher looking books with equivalent pieces missing getting 2.5s from CGC, so I wouldn't consider a 3.0 out of the question. I general CGC is more lenient than I would be about pieces larger than a small chip missing from the cover, apparently allowing it in the upper mid grades, depending on size and the overall quality of the book. 

1 minute ago, rjpb said:

As the book looks pretty decent otherwise, I could see this getting a 2.5 pretty easily, though it's market value may suffer a bit compared to some other 2.5s. There are examples of rougher looking books with equivalent pieces missing getting 2.5s from CGC, so I wouldn't consider a 3.0 out of the question. I general CGC is more lenient than I would be about pieces larger than a small chip missing from the cover, apparently allowing it in the upper mid grades, depending on size and the overall quality of the book. 

Well said.  I concur and while it likely is between a 2.0 and 2.5 it leans IMO to a 2.5. As far as market value on this blue chip key - despite that missing piece it remains overall handsome and might command more money to the right buyer.  Good luck. :wishluck:

9 hours ago, rjpb said:

Thanks so much for the feedback. Hoping for a 3.0, as it really is in solid shape otherwise. I'll post results when I have them.

9 hours ago, Roger66 said:

Well said.  I concur and while it likely is between a 2.0 and 2.5 it leans IMO to a 2.5. As far as market value on this blue chip key - despite that missing piece it remains overall handsome and might command more money to the right buyer.  Good luck. :wishluck:

Thank you for the feedback! Have only graded a couple of Silver Age books so this one will be a big learning experience. Thank you.👍🏽

11 hours ago, Giovanni Molina said:

Thank you for the feedback! Have only graded a couple of Silver Age books so this one will be a big learning experience. Thank you.👍🏽

It will look even better in a blue label CGC case.  Enjoy this iconic key!   One of the best of the silver age.  

I do think 

13 hours ago, nines said:

It's still a sweet book. Is the corner piece valuable in this situation, would it lean the grade if you had it?

Thanks! I do think with that missing piece intact, it would've been a 3.5, maybe a 4.0 easy. In researching Silver Age with similar pieces missing, I've seen various grades from 1.8 to 4.0. Thought I would ask the pros here for input. ;)