• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What happens when you go over max value for a tier?
2 2

7 posts in this topic

Max value for Modern is $200. Max value for economy is $400. If I have a book that's around $350 on eBay and try to submit it with a bunch of other sub-$200 books, what happens? Will I be charged more for that one book? What if I send it in alone? Does CGC even care?

Thanks!

S

Here's what I think your biggest concern should be. If CGC lost (this happened to me) or damaged your book, would the tier you have chosen be enough to replace the comic? It's all well and good to try to submit a $600 book in the Economy tier, but if the book was lost or damaged, the most CGC would pay you is $400. Can you live with that risk?

I agree with @Math Teacheron this.  You can put yourself in a tough position by not stating the correct DV and submitting into the correct tier. 

Having said that, there is some wiggle room, if you don't mind the risk.  CGC is not going to police all the prices for every comic known to man.

Chances are, if you put the $350 comic in at $200, it will go through properly.  After all, what makes you think it's $350?  You may have seen it on eBay at $350 as a 9.8.  How do you know you HAVE a 9.8?  In fact, isn't that WHY you are sending them in - to find out the grade???

Most of us THINK we have a box full of 9.8's, only to be disappointed.  So your estimate might be high based solely on unrealistic expectations.  I don't know if the 9.8 thing is even relevant, just using it as an example.  You have assigned it a value based on your own opinion.

You could be conservative and assume all your comics are Fine or Very Fine, unless someone tells you differently (CGC).  That can work to your advantage, but again the risk of being under-insured. 

Or are you basing the $350 on the finished, graded, encapsulated comic (at 9.8 of course) that you saw on eBay?  That's not what YOU'RE sending in.  You're sending in a raw copy of unknown grade, much less valuable as is, with maybe a lot of "upside potential".

You do run the risk that CGC will note that the comic is not in the proper tier.  Like if you sent in an Ultimate Fallout 4 as a <$200 comic.  Then they have the right to pull it out of that tier and assign it to the "proper" tier.

Things go a bit bad from there.  You have underpaid for the tier price, so that will be charged.  There is now a separate submission, 1 comic, and that gets a new $5 admin fee. 

They will ship it separately, so instead of it being part of a larger order where maybe the cost to ship back per book is $3 ($30 for 10 comics), it will be traveling alone at $15+. 

All that would happen, too, if you submitted it separately on your own.  BUT....you might have been able to group it with other comics of that tier to lower your per-comic cost for these aggregate costs: admin fee, shipping to CGC, and return shipping.

Thanks for your thoughts, both.

You're right, Lightning 55, when a recent $600 book in 9.8 ends up being a $350 in 9.6 and $200 in 9.4, it can be hard to pick a tier. I wasn't sure if the tier maximums had anything to do with insurance, but I'm guessing that's the most you can claim when you actually go to make a submission.

S

To my knowledge, it's always the raw value.  That is what you are sending, a raw comic.  That is what they are covering, while in their possession. 

If it were to be somehow destroyed or lost, even after grading, the raw comparable value is what could be claimed.  CGC does state that the replacement value will never be more than the Declared Value, so that is why you have to be careful about entering that figure.

I don't see any info on it, but I would suspect you could also recoup any fees paid on top of the value of the submission - pressing, grading, admin fees, etc.  You paid the fees, but got nothing for them if lost or destroyed.

8 hours ago, Lightning55 said:

To my knowledge, it's always the raw value.  That is what you are sending, a raw comic.  That is what they are covering, while in their possession. 

If it were to be somehow destroyed or lost, even after grading, the raw comparable value is what could be claimed.  CGC does state that the replacement value will never be more than the Declared Value, so that is why you have to be careful about entering that figure.

I don't see any info on it, but I would suspect you could also recoup any fees paid on top of the value of the submission - pressing, grading, admin fees, etc.  You paid the fees, but got nothing for them if lost or destroyed.

That's my understanding, as well.