• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Darwyn Cooke Collecting Thread
2 2

49 posts in this topic

Any other Cooke fans out there? He's my favorite creator. I am a complete-ist of sorts. I'm trying to acquire a copy of all of his published comic book work. (I don't have room for all the omnibus cover work he did for DC but they are cool too!) I think he's among the best cartoonists we've seen.

Do you have any books by Darwyn you are chasing? Have pics of anything signed by him? Post it all here. I'll start with a few items. I'm looking for any and all info on The Twilight Children variant. I know of one other copy and they don't have a barcode. I'm assuming it was printed for a Con or Expo. Any info would be appreciated.

I have a Starfire #3 variant, but it's in a competitor's slab.

Looking for the Virgin variant of the Shadow cover. Such a beauty.

Thanks for looking and thanks for sharing!

IMG_20210104_125339127_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

spirit3 cgcss.jpg

STK474854.jpeg

4 minutes ago, umyeahwhatevers said:

I was only able to get this one done before he passed.
His work on Parker was top notch.
(unfortunately, I never found a potential "9.8" raw copy of Portfolio #1 to submit for SS...)

Parker #1 signed by Darwynn Cooke.jpg

That is gorgeous. I have a copy, but not slabbed. Still in search of Vol. 1. eBay had one under $100 recently. I probably should have grabbed it.

Did you get to meet Darwyn?

His Parker work was pretty extraordinary. It's what really drew me to his work.

I did not get to meet him for this book as it was submitted using a facilitator.
Just checked eBay for Portfolio #1 and you are right...those prices are way higher than I was trying to get them 'back in the day'.
Maybe I'll dig up the copy of Portfolio #1 I have and get it graded so the set can finally be complete.
As far as other Cooke CGC...I have a 9.8 of the Batman Beyond #1 (2011) Variant

Edited by umyeahwhatevers

2 minutes ago, umyeahwhatevers said:

I did not get to meet him for this book as it was submitted using a facilitator.
Just checked eBay for Portfolio #1 and you are right...those prices are way higher than I was trying to get them 'back in the day'.
Maybe I'll dig up the copy of Portfolio #1 I have and get it graded so the set can finally be complete.
As far as other Cooke CGC...I have a 9.8 of the Batman Beyond #1 (2011) Variant

Oooooh boy. That Batman Beyond #1 is a killer book. One of the few, along with Portfolio #1 that I am missing. I'll get one eventually . . . Please post a pic if you can. I'd love to see it.

1 hour ago, Bird said:

I met him 2-3 times, he was a sweet and gentle man, you could tell immediately. I have two pieces by him, regret selling the others 2 or 3 I have owned. Here is some of that awesome sauce.

WWD_DarwynCooke_l.jpg

His WW is just amazing. Stealing this for my WW sketch gallery collection. Absolutely Gorgeous, thanks for sharing!

12 minutes ago, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

One of these days I will buy a 9.8 copy of this one.  This might be my favorite cover by him.  R.I.P.

jld.jpg

Super under-rated and super low print run for his New52 Cover Week stuff. This one and He-Man are the lowest print runs according to ComiChron.I have a couple of these that are 9.2 or better. Dunno if they'd get a 9.8. The black border on all of those books makes it tough sledding for a 9.8. Anyone know how many are in the census?

4 minutes ago, Bill Robinson said:

Super under-rated and super low print run for his New52 Cover Week stuff. This one and He-Man are the lowest print runs according to ComiChron.I have a couple of these that are 9.2 or better. Dunno if they'd get a 9.8. The black border on all of those books makes it tough sledding for a 9.8. Anyone know how many are in the census?

Unfortunately I only bought the ones for Detective Comics and Batman at the time.

Batman #750.jpg

3 minutes ago, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

Unfortunately I only bought the ones for Detective Comics and Batman at the time.

Batman #750.jpg

Shockingly, they are still affordable - most can be had for $10 or less. Again, the condition is the tough part. That black border is pretty unforgiving.

Brilliant artist and storyteller.

I have a lot of his stuff, including Absolute New Frontier.

Parker’s great, and I have all the volumes in digital format.