• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First Appearances According to CGC

78 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, silversurfer275 said:

its for sure not a cameo hes in a few panels and speaks

While I can't comment specifically on the appearance you're discussing, neither multiple panels nor speaking preclude an appearance from being brief.

1 minute ago, Lazyboy said:

Not really, since his jumping into the Hulk/Wendigo fight is recapped, but not quite literally duplicated, at the beginning of 181.

It's been a while since I've read them but a recap could be enough story-wise. I'll have to reread. 

2 hours ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

No such thing as a cameo of a character that is yet unknown. 

^^

An appearance can be either full or brief, with the brief appearance of an established character also known as a cameo.

17 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

While I can't comment specifically on the appearance you're discussing, neither multiple panels nor speaking preclude an appearance from being brief.

even if its brief that doesnt mean cameo a cameo is one panel mace windu is in 3 panels in phantom menace 3. 

2 minutes ago, silversurfer275 said:

even if its brief that doesnt mean cameo a cameo is one panel mace windu is in 3 panels in phantom menace 3. 

:screwy:

A cameo is a brief appearance of an established character. 3 panels is a brief appearance by any definition. There is no definition that says a brief/cameo appearance can consist of only a single panel.

5 hours ago, Mikey C said:

Venom's hands show up in #298 as a cameo. Have you seen the final page of #299? Obviously we're not going to agree but it's a full reveal of the character, IMO a 1st full. The image from the last page of #299 has been used on posters, towels, t-shrits, recent variant covers for Cate's run. Super iconic. So far from just a cameo.

:facepalm:

A full appearance has absolutely nothing to do with how much of the character the artist draws. If an issue of Superman features him on every page as the focus of the story, but never shows any part of him below his waist, does that mean it's not a full appearance?

5 hours ago, Mikey C said:

#300 is Venom's first full story and obviously the market has landed on this book as his most important.

Yes, that is what full appearance means. The character is actually a significant part of the story.

2 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

:screwy:

A cameo is a brief appearance of an established character. 3 panels is a brief appearance by any definition. There is no definition that says a brief/cameo appearance can consist of only a single panel.

My bad he’s actually in more panels than 3 saw it wrong anyway here’s the photos it’s definitely not a cameo

69E93ECE-30E7-4C24-8881-9E23F035DAAB.jpeg

F53EE384-AF78-4AEC-BA1B-B4FB28D97177.jpeg

112CFDA0-C61E-4EC6-8C23-CBFE8D542409.jpeg

Edited by silversurfer275

3 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

:facepalm:

A full appearance has absolutely nothing to do with how much of the character the artist draws. If an issue of Superman features him on every page as the focus of the story, but never shows any part of him below his waist, does that mean it's not a full appearance?

Yes, that is what full appearance means. The character is actually a significant part of the story.

By full appearance I mean just not in shadow, just eyes, etc. The last page of 299 is venom from knees up, speaks and full name reveal. 

5 minutes ago, Mikey C said:

By full appearance I mean just not in shadow, just eyes, etc. The last page of 299 is venom from knees up, speaks and full name reveal. 

Like I posted, that's not what it means.

40 minutes ago, E5150 said:

So you're saying Hulk #180 should be Wolverine's first full appearance? GLWTS.

IMO Hulk 180 is his first appearance. I own both so I don’t care but the first time anyone could see Wolverine was in Hulk 180. That’s all I’m saying. I don’t care that the market has landed on. Everyone can have their own opinion. 

Edited by Mikey C

1 hour ago, E5150 said:

So ASM #299 is Venom's first full appearance because "the last page of 299 is venom from knees up, speaks and full name reveal" but Hulk #180 is not Wolverine's first full appearance even though #180 has "Wolverine's full body, speaks and full name reveal"?

I suppose you'll say this is correct because ASM #299 is a full page shot and #180 is only a 1/2 page shot and one of 5 panels? hm

They’re both first appearances in my personal collecting world. Everyone can have their own collecting guidelines.

2 hours ago, Mikey C said:
2 hours ago, E5150 said:

So you're saying Hulk #180 should be Wolverine's first full appearance? GLWTS.

IMO Hulk 180 is his first appearance. I own both so I don’t care but the first time anyone could see Wolverine was in Hulk 180. That’s all I’m saying. I don’t care that the market has landed on. Everyone can have their own opinion. 

You're right that 180 is his first appearance. A first appearance in "cameo" (or in brief) is still a first appearance, but it isn't a first full appearance.

19 hours ago, Mikey C said:

Agree!  Hulk 180 "IS" his first appearance.