• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First Appearances According to CGC

78 posts in this topic

On 1/12/2021 at 5:58 PM, Mikey C said:

IMO Hulk 180 is his first appearance. I own both so I don’t care but the first time anyone could see Wolverine was in Hulk 180. That’s all I’m saying. I don’t care that the market has landed on. Everyone can have their own opinion. 

No, Incredible Hulk #180 is factually Wolverine's first appearance, with no qualifiers. Opinions are not relevant. But it is only one panel.

You can decide what you like and collect, but you can't change reality.

On the matter of how you view it:

Don't you think it's interesting that Marvel created this advertisement for Hulk #181 when Wolverine did actually appear in a whole panel in #180? Where was the ad for his true debut in #180?

144598.jpg.7ab95fdc9723c442369e30106aa11e57.jpg

How about this single-issue reprint?

MMEIH181.jpg.ee4649fca85b93135426eed42b3cc0dc.jpg

Did they think people didn't deserve to see the first panel ever to contain Wolverine?

3 hours ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

Just as ASM 299 “IS” Venom’s first appearance 

No, Venom has 3 earlier appearances. That issue is only the first depiction of his nearly full, unobstructed body.

4 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

No, Incredible Hulk #180 is factually Wolverine's first appearance, with no qualifiers. Opinions are not relevant. But it is only one panel.

You can decide what you like and collect, but you can't change reality.

On the matter of how you view it:

Don't you think it's interesting that Marvel created this advertisement for Hulk #181 when Wolverine did actually appear in a whole panel in #180? Where was the ad for his true debut in #180?

144598.jpg.7ab95fdc9723c442369e30106aa11e57.jpg

How about this single-issue reprint?

MMEIH181.jpg.ee4649fca85b93135426eed42b3cc0dc.jpg

Did they think people didn't deserve to see the first panel ever to contain Wolverine?

There's also this (#180 and 181):

68_54997_0_TheIncredibleHulkandWolverine1.jpg

Is everyone just accepting that "Venom" is ONLY when the suit is on Eddy?

Couldn't one argue the suit itself is what makes Venom, since Eddie by himself is no Venom, and therefore the first panel with Peter with the suit would be at least a partial Venom first appearance?

10 minutes ago, Sferg said:

Is everyone just accepting that "Venom" is ONLY when the suit is on Eddy?

Couldn't one argue the suit itself is what makes Venom, since Eddie by himself is no Venom, and therefore the first panel with Peter with the suit would be at least a partial Venom first appearance?

Venom is the combination of Eddie Brock and the alien symbiote Spider-Man acquired during the Secret Wars. Spider-Man was never Venom.

35 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

Venom is the combination of Eddie Brock and the alien symbiote Spider-Man acquired during the Secret Wars. Spider-Man was never Venom.

Agreed Peter was never Venom BUT the suit DID exhibit it's own behavior and personality traits while Peter was wearing it, separate from Peter, giving the suit it's own identity. 

3 minutes ago, Sferg said:

Agreed Peter was never Venom BUT the suit DID exhibit it's own behavior and personality traits while Peter was wearing it, separate from Peter, giving the suit it's own identity. 

Yes, it is a sentient being, as revealed in ASM 258. But, by itself, it is still not Venom.

1 hour ago, Lazyboy said:

Yes, it is a sentient being, as revealed in ASM 258. But, by itself, it is still not Venom.

I agree this is the accepted definition of Venom, but I think the argument can be made that Venom is indeed solely the suit, and that the suit tried to turn Peter into "Venom" but Peter resisted the suit and was able to get rid of it before being fully transformed.

Eddie offered no resistance and was easily transformed into the base dominant personality of the suit, which is Venom, imo.

1 hour ago, Angel of Death said:

Then what is just the symbiote?

I think you answered your own question. It’s just the symbiote.

Venom is just the name that Eddie and the symbiote calls itself. 

907C3391-6B2E-4FA4-A83A-056AF29D9D71.png

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

17 hours ago, Pontoon said:

Threads like these make me feel like The_Beyonder's avatar.

Speaking of which...

THE_BEYONDER

How is that guy hitting his head?  It looks like the corner of a building that he's inside, but somehow visible.  If it's a pole, it has two shadows. If it's a wall, then what is the line he's standing on? Where are the bricks?  Does his shoe have a wheel?

I feel like that guy in the avatar trying to figure out what's going on with that guy in the avatar.

:kidaround: