• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Submitting books together for grading

3 posts in this topic

I just want to understand how submitting a bunch of books "works"....

I have two books that are "probably worth something" HOS 92 and GSX 1.  I have a bunch of copper age books in great shape that are worth "a little" by comparison.  If I send them all in together, do they all get graded together and sent back together?

Because it appears to me that the value of the book determines the speed at which it gets graded?

Am I misunderstanding this?

I mean, even now, there are no comic-cons to go to and get graded at, so sending them in is the only way, but it seems totally crazy to have books sent back in multiple lots/groups?

7 hours ago, rgtichy said:

I just want to understand how submitting a bunch of books "works"....

I have two books that are "probably worth something" HOS 92 and GSX 1.  I have a bunch of copper age books in great shape that are worth "a little" by comparison.  If I send them all in together, do they all get graded together and sent back together?

Because it appears to me that the value of the book determines the speed at which it gets graded?

Am I misunderstanding this?

I mean, even now, there are no comic-cons to go to and get graded at, so sending them in is the only way, but it seems totally crazy to have books sent back in multiple lots/groups?

Maybe the most common newbie question.  We should probably take the best of the various answers and make it a stickie.

You can ship all together regardless of tiers.  The tiers determine your turnaround time and insurance should CGC do something to your book.  It also is the USPS insurance for sending them back to you.

Since turnaround times are diff for the tiers, CGC doesn't hold the books waiting for them all to finish,  hence the multiple shipping back to you.

You can enter any fair market value  you want.  It's a matter of how much risk you're comfortable with.  CGC may bump a book to another tier if they believe it is more valuable  and charge you the difference. No idea how often that happens.

One way to come up with a  FMV is to determine what it would cost you to replace the book with another raw copy in similar shape.

You can also make use of the Spare A Grade forum to get grade estimates from members

Good luck!

Maybe the most common newbie question.  We should probably take the best of the various answers and make it a stickie.

I was rather surprised that I couldn't quickly find very similar questions on this, so "Yes." pinning a helpful writeup to the top of what happens when you put together a box of a dozen comics or something would be very good!

Might as well make it as thematically accurate as possible, so pretend it's a GS X-Men 1, a VG/F Hulk 181, the F. Miller Wolverine mini-series, and a "silly" run of McFarlane Amazing Spider-Mans.  Every single person thinks they have NM for all of it, and the McFarlanes were bagged after first read and kept ever since, so a discussion of minimum grading on the first two could also be mentioned. 

The whole thing really should be made into a video:

• Packing it up correctly, sending it.
  • Show everyone how it all gets handled at CGC.  (I mean, I assume everyone there is dressed like a brain surgeon, in full operating theater garb!)
  • Show the expensive books going past a table of professorly old-men, discussing paper tones and edges and corners.
  • Show the other books going past a single guy that reminds us of that one crazy customer at our favorite store, muttering about color qualities and flexographic printing, a Peter David -script he hated for ASM that is not in the run of Spideys, but he always complains about that one story-line whenever he's holding any copy of any ASM, etc.  (He talks a lot about the black cover issue of the Wolverine mini-series and whether the black background is evenly dark and black enough, too.)
  • Show the books shipping back to the collector, in separate parcels.
  • Show them arriving and everything not being graded "9.6" across the board, and how to appreciate the thoroughness of the grading and distinctions made, and how to contain your outrage that not everything sent in was considered near-perfect!

After that, monitor the forum comments to see which forum posters are going to be the biggest headaches if/when their books ever go to CGC and make it clear you keep A List of Their Names, just to "screw with their heads"!:devil: