• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Converting Curmudgeonly Collectors to Current Comic Creators
3 3

48 posts in this topic

I don't know if you've noticed, but there seems to be a lot of Golden, Silver, and Bronze Age collectors that hate modern comics.  I personally enjoy comic stories from all eras except for the Platinum Age (although I haven't read any from that era).  Anyway, which current creators would you try to use as examples to convince old farts that all eras of comics have good in them.  One artist that comes to mind for me is Rafael Grampa.

Batwoman #15.jpg

Strange Tales vol. 4 #1.jpg

Unexpected #1.jpg

Wonder Woman #754.jpg

4 hours ago, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

One of these days I wouldn't mind sending in some high grade copies of Batman Year 100

Batman Year 100 #1.jpg

I don't know about anyone else, but when I saw this cover, the first thought that came to my mind was, "Batman is constipated."

I hate comics from 1990 to around 2000 or so. For both the art AND the stories. Is there some good stuff? Sure but not enough to make it something I hunt for.

As for stuff from the last 15 years or so, sure there is great art but for me it is more so the way it is printed. I don't love handling non newsprint, it doesn't feel right. And art is only half the battle. The story has to be worthwhile on a more modern book. Very VERY rarely will I pick up a modern book for cover alone (a few artists are exceptions).

Now you may say that the stories from the 60s, 70s and 80s are nothing amazing and that a lot are just standard fare. But that simple standard fare is what I love about comics. Combine it with a great classic artist on a newsprint book that I can hold and smell and feel and it just creates an experience that I don't get from most modern books.

2 hours ago, comicginger1789 said:

I hate comics from 1990 to around 2000 or so. For both the art AND the stories. Is there some good stuff? Sure but not enough to make it something I hunt for.

As for stuff from the last 15 years or so, sure there is great art but for me it is more so the way it is printed. I don't love handling non newsprint, it doesn't feel right. And art is only half the battle. The story has to be worthwhile on a more modern book. Very VERY rarely will I pick up a modern book for cover alone (a few artists are exceptions).

Now you may say that the stories from the 60s, 70s and 80s are nothing amazing and that a lot are just standard fare. But that simple standard fare is what I love about comics. Combine it with a great classic artist on a newsprint book that I can hold and smell and feel and it just creates an experience that I don't get from most modern books.

I agree with most of what you are saying. I also hate the look of the way most modern Marvel comics covers are designed. The aesthetic leaves me cold. I miss the look of and feel of silver, bronze, and copper age comic covers. 

I also don't like that there is no continuity anymore and no unified universe/milieu and don't get me started on how the Marvel Movieverse has changed the history of their characters, or the endless reboots and retcons. Reading comics in ages previous to modern age gave you the sense that everything was connected. If you read a spidey comic it took place in the same world as captain america, and iron man, and rom, and ms marvel, etc, etc. Does that even exist in marvel and DC comics today as it did back in the copper or bronze ages?

Now when it comes to non-marvel and non-DC, it's a whole different ballgame. I've read and enjoyed stuff such as Hellboy, Goon, Manifest Destiny, Manhattan Projects, The Sixth Gun, Astro City, Planetary, and some others. As far as mainstream Marvel and DC, I acknowledge that I am no longer in their target audience. Either they've moved beyond me or I've moved beyond them. Not sure which but either way I'm fine with it. I get far more enjoyment tracking down and reading those series from the past that I never paid attention to at that time.  

I will say though that this is a really cool cover.

Spoiler

1678360324_SilverSurferBlack3.thumb.jpg.

Edited by Jeffro.

1 hour ago, Jeffro. said:

Manhattan Projects, The Sixth Gun,

Two amazing books. I wish Manhattan Projects had lasted longer, but Hickman is a talented and in-demand writer. The Sixth Gun was top notch in both art and story. It did not sell (3,000-5,000/issue) well but continued for 40-50 issues and had a few spinoffs. I recommend that book to everyone I talk to about comics.

A few writers worth checking out are Brian K Vaughn, Jonathan Hickman, Cullen Bunn. I thought Snyder's work on Batman and Swamp Thing during the New 52 was great. Jeff Lemire has also put out quality work (Animal Man and Sweet Tooth). There are others out there, but these are some of the top writers I can think of at the moment that might appeal to curmudgeon collectors. 

1 hour ago, Jeffro. said:

I also don't like that there is no continuity anymore and no unified universe/milieu and don't get me started on how the Marvel Movieverse has changed the history of their characters, or the endless reboots and retcons. Reading comics in ages previous to modern age gave you the sense that everything was connected. If you read a spidey comic it took place in the same world as captain america, and iron man, and rom, and ms marvel, etc, etc. Does that even exist in marvel and DC comics today as it did back in the copper or bronze ages?

I think the only thing we are going to get close to a continuity and a unified universe is the Marvel Star Wars comics. Granted it spans books, animation and comics that are deemed canon, but it reminds me of the old days of continuity.