• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Converting Curmudgeonly Collectors to Current Comic Creators
3 3

48 posts in this topic

Just now, the blob said:

"I don't know if you've noticed, but there seems to be a lot of Golden, Silver, and Bronze Age collectors that hate modern comics.  I personally enjoy comic stories from all eras except for the Platinum Age (although I haven't read any from that era).  Anyway, which current creators would you try to use as examples to convince old farts that all eras of comics have good in them.  One artist that comes to mind for me is Rafael Grampa."

Sweeping generalization. Probably only true for a few people suffering from their own mental illness. I'm an old fart who loves a lot of the covers I see. The problem is the insides are sometimes less inspiring and stories are often so darn convoluted I just give up... and the last 30 years of cannon have just made it incomprehensible between marvel and DC. That's why when I found myself reading stuff it was titles like Goon and Fables that were kind of self contained. Give me a spiderman or wolverine story that doesn't require me to know WTF has gone on over the last 30 years and I am cool.

I think it explains why my son loved the deadpool stuff so much. I bought him a big stack of trades for christmas one year (50% off at Milehigh was actually a good deal.. it happens) and he was like a p**g in sh***t because while not entirely self contained, you could just drop into those books and read them. deadpool isn't so complicated.

1 minute ago, the blob said:

"I don't know if you've noticed, but there seems to be a lot of Golden, Silver, and Bronze Age collectors that hate modern comics.  I personally enjoy comic stories from all eras except for the Platinum Age (although I haven't read any from that era).  Anyway, which current creators would you try to use as examples to convince old farts that all eras of comics have good in them.  One artist that comes to mind for me is Rafael Grampa."

Sweeping generalization. Probably only true for a few people suffering from their own mental illness. I'm an old fart who loves a lot of the covers I see. The problem is the insides are sometimes less inspiring and stories are often so darn convoluted I just give up... and the last 30 years of cannon have just made it incomprehensible between marvel and DC. That's why when I found myself reading stuff it was titles like Goon and Fables that were kind of self contained. Give me a spiderman or wolverine story that doesn't require me to know WTF has gone on over the last 30 years and I am cool.

I have a co-worker that loves Fables.  I've got bad memories associated with it though because it was my ex-wife's favorite title.  The James Jean covers are great.  I am also a 47 year old fart that's a curmudgeon about a lot of things, but not comics really.

When I read the title at first I was wondering if you thought old fart collectors should go out and self publish comics.

Once upon a time I thought about it, but ultimately decided i don't really have a story to tell. Not right now at least. Not a good one. Having no story worked ok for Image books in the 90s, but nowadays you need a story. You can get away with mediocre art (which I can supply!) if the story is good.

Edited by the blob