• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pressing question
2 2

11 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I own a silver age CGC graded FF#52 (8.5). I know for a fact that it has never been pressed.

I can see imprinted lines on the cover (see pics) and was wondering if they can be pressed out.

These lines pretty much go across the whole cover. They are not very visible unless you look carefully in the light.

Has anyone here cracked a slab, had the lines pressed out and got a better grade when resubmiting to cgc ?

Thanks for your help !

20210105_141859.jpg

20210105_125805.jpg

20210105_125703.jpg

46 minutes ago, Angel of Death said:

I'm almost certain that they won't effect grade.

Thanks for your opinion. I've seen this on another book I have (FF48) to a lesser extent. Maybe they were just printed that way back in the day ?

49 minutes ago, migmtl76 said:

Thanks for your opinion. I've seen this on another book I have (FF48) to a lesser extent. Maybe they were just printed that way back in the day ?

Yes, this appears to be a slight manufacturing defect. This doesn't appear to be a big deal. I'd be more concerned about man-made defects...

Edited by The Lions Den

I have seen similar lines on the cover that were actually impressions from the advertising on the reverse of the page.  I'm guessing that the plate that printed the back of the page exerted pressure on the page, causing some bold outlines to transfer through, almost like engraving.  I can see it more easily on covers with white backgrounds.

Too bad you can't just open the page to see if the impressions line up with the printed ads on the other side, since it's now in a case.  If so, the lines were made at the time of manufacture.

26 minutes ago, Lightning55 said:

I have seen similar lines on the cover that were actually impressions from the advertising on the reverse of the page.  I'm guessing that the plate that printed the back of the page exerted pressure on the page, causing some bold outlines to transfer through, almost like engraving.  I can see it more easily on covers with white backgrounds.

Too bad you can't just open the page to see if the impressions line up with the printed ads on the other side, since it's now in a case.  If so, the lines were made at the time of manufacture.

Thanks for the info Lightning55. I will leave the comic in the slab. Good thing I asked :)

8 hours ago, migmtl76 said:

Thanks for the info Lightning55. I will leave the comic in the slab. Good thing I asked :)

If you have the graders note, it may indicate whether these were considered flaws or not

10 minutes ago, steveinthecity said:

Just for reference:

Bsj2psBh.jpg

I thought that grid on the order form might be the culprit, but it's below the photo areas.  Maybe just lines of text showing through.  The other way I was able to tell if it was the reverse of the page ghosting through was to let light pass through the page.  Can't do that here, though.