• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's the most horrible comic you've had to buy in order to complete a set?
4 4

107 posts in this topic

685763.jpg

My most disliked Swamp Thing comic ever.

Terrible cover, and one of the most pretentious comic stories I've ever read.  For me, the worst thing Alan Moore has ever written, made even more unreadable by trippy artwork.

Absolute, utter bollocks.

1 minute ago, Ken Aldred said:

685763.jpg

Terrible cover, and one of the most pretentious comic stories I've ever read.  For me, the worst thing Alan Moore has ever written, made even more unreadable by trippy artwork.

So you're saying you don't mind it Ken?

1 minute ago, Ken Aldred said:

685763.jpg

If you’d like to further explore pretentious comics, may I suggest Justice League of America 89?

1 minute ago, Get Marwood & I said:

So you're saying you don't mind it Ken?

I'm not a fan.

The 'special price' of 75c was also a rip-off.  It should've been priced at least 75c cheaper.

This one's way more pretentious than Swampy #60.  When it first came out, my older sister saw it and started reading out loud from it.  She made fun of me unmercifully for having it.

6 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

685763.jpg

A Small Killing.jpg

5 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

If you’d like to further explore pretentious comics, may I suggest Justice League of America 89?

Original series? I'll have a look.

26 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

Bad covers are one thing, but you can always just not look at it. I’m a reader, and the worst offenders for me are horrible stories. 
I used to have a complete run of Conan. Most were entertaining reads, but towards the end of the run, they had Conan saying and doing things he would never do. The art was the worst kind of trend-following garbage, and getting to the last page was outright work.

So I nominate the end of the Conan run.

the only Conan comics I have not read are the end of the run: like 265 to 275 as i didnt get them until recently. Generally i love reading Conan so your answer is surprising. I guess i will have to read them to see for myself...

1 minute ago, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

Before you judge me too harshly for owning these, I bought them because Alan Moore wrote them OK.  I didn't buy it for the art.  Is a chest like that even humanly possible?

Violator vs. Badrock #1 a.jpg

Violator vs. Badrock #2.jpg

Violator vs. Badrock #3.jpg

Violator vs. Badrock #4.jpg

You have been judged

1 hour ago, Scrooge said:

My March 1952 set has a couple of clunkers but none worse than this one -

31176851_HaHaComics82.jpg.62115536e86d96edcf34b0402d564042.jpg

A comic full of Ken Hultgren and Dan Gordon artwork is a clunker? This is great stuff. The original poster too calling a Venus comic with great art a clunker too. Not the endless drek of the last 30 years but these great comics? WTF? 

23 minutes ago, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

Is a chest like that even humanly possible?

At least it distracts from the lacking perspective of those background buildings....

33 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

the only Conan comics I have not read are the end of the run: like 265 to 275 as i didnt get them until recently. Generally i love reading Conan so your answer is surprising. I guess i will have to read them to see for myself...

Generally, I love reading Conan as well. Like I said, some were better than others, but almost all were worth one’s time. 
That changed at the end of the run.

7 minutes ago, catman76 said:

A comic full of Ken Hultgren and Dan Gordon artwork is a clunker? This is great stuff. The original poster too calling a Venus comic with great art a clunker too. Not the endless drek of the last 30 years but these great comics? WTF? 

I know what you're saying.  I sort of digressed in this thread.  My original point was that $300 is a lot of money to spend on a comic that doesn't appeal to you on any level other than it fits into a set.  As for all the cruddy 80's, 90's, and 2000's stuff in my closet:  there's so much of it that it technically adds up to maybe one or two cool golden or silver age comics but no one is going to buy it at its cover price.  Because most of it is awful.