• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's the most horrible comic you've had to buy in order to complete a set?
4 4

107 posts in this topic

I like this thread! Here's one book I still need to pick up for my Ghosts run that is waaaay on the bottom of the priority list.

Cover for Ghosts (DC, 1971 series) #13

Weird War Tales has some fantastic covers, but I cringe every time I remember I still need to pick this one up...

Cover for Weird War Tales (DC, 1971 series) #65

That's two off the top of my head, I'm sure there's more!

27 minutes ago, MisterX said:

I like this thread! Here's one book I still need to pick up for my Ghosts run that is waaaay on the bottom of the priority list.

Cover for Ghosts (DC, 1971 series) #13

Weird War Tales has some fantastic covers, but I cringe every time I remember I still need to pick this one up...

Cover for Weird War Tales (DC, 1971 series) #65

That's two off the top of my head, I'm sure there's more!

That's weird.  I'm not able to see the jpeg files.  Are they updating the boards again?

Wonder Woman, first series. I needed only a few books to complete the set. One was Wonder Woman 7. It's the WW runs for President cover and was very difficult to find (without mortgaging your life). I found a copy on eBay that had been folded in 4 and shot with a BB gun.

I finally upgraded and someone bought the "low grade" copy from me.

I can't find a picture, but it was in "near Lint" condition.

1 hour ago, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

I'm pretty sure Parabellum and nepatkm have 9.8 graded copies of 99% of every Punisher appearance ever published.  I should see if they have the Punisher vs. Archie and The Punisher meets Emenem.

Punisher meets Archie is a fantastic comic. It's legitimately awesome. 

2 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

685763.jpg

My most disliked Swamp Thing comic ever.

Terrible cover, and one of the most pretentious comic stories I've ever read.  For me, the worst thing Alan Moore has ever written, made even more unreadable by trippy artwork.

Absolute, utter bollocks.

Urgh, I hate that book too, the first copy I bought had a price sticker on it that pulled a bit of the cover off when I tried to remove it, so I had to buy it twice :pullhair:

17 minutes ago, Kevin.J said:

Urgh, I hate that book too, the first copy I bought had a price sticker on it that pulled a bit of the cover off when I tried to remove it, so I had to buy it twice :pullhair:

Do you remember that Alec got the machine alien thingy pregnant too?  DC never brought that up again.

7 hours ago, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

This thread is for all you OCD comic collectors out there that have to have every issue ever published of a run, no matter how bad it is.  Case in point.  I love some of the the Golden Age Venus comics published by Atlas in the late 40's and 50's.  I now have 11 of the 19 issues in the run, most of which are the horror ones.  It's a strange series that actually started as a romance title and I only have one issue with that format.  I'm not a huge Atom age romance fan, but I feel compelled to buy them.  There's a CGC member named "zzutak" who has a complete Venus set in the registry which is awesome but I have to say, the prospect of spending $300+ for a beat up copy of this issue frightens me.

1.jpg

Part of why I love Venus is that, if you put together the run, you have almost every GA genre other than funny animal covered.  Sadly, I'll never complete the run, I think... I don't have either 1 or 19, both of which are becoming impossible.  I do have 7 & 8, although my 8 is super low grade, rescued from a bound volume.  Paid under $50 for it, at least, if I recall correctly.

And I actually like the painted covers and the issues; the weird "romance with a touch of supernatural and superhero" is not like a typical romance book at all.

Venus_07.jpg

Venus_08.jpg

3 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

Part of why I love Venus is that, if you put together the run, you have almost every GA genre other than funny animal covered.  Sadly, I'll never complete the run, I think... I don't have either 1 or 19, both of which are becoming impossible.  I do have 7 & 8, although my 8 is super low grade, rescued from a bound volume.  Paid under $50 for it, at least, if I recall correctly.

And I actually like the painted covers and the issues; the weird "romance with a touch of supernatural and superhero" is not like a typical romance book at all.

That would have been great if Venus teamed up with a funny animal in a romance comic.

7 minutes ago, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

I really like the cover to Venus #2.  That's one that I wouldn't mind buying.

I'm still hoping to get a #2.  I'm missing 1, 2, 15, and 19; and my copies of 12 and 14 are coverless.  I've also got a spare coverless copy of #13.  I figure the 2, 12, 14, and 15 are all getable still, but the 1 and 19 are probably hopeless.

My copies are almost uniformly low grade, but they've become a lot harder to find at all the last few years.