• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's the most horrible comic you've had to buy in order to complete a set?
4 4

107 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

That would have been great if Venus teamed up with a funny animal in a romance comic.

There were actually one or two stories that would pass for westerns, even.  But I think the closest it ever got to funny animal was "The Cartoonist's Calamity" story, and that really wasn't that close.  Great story, though.

14 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

I'm still hoping to get a #2.  I'm missing 1, 2, 15, and 19; and my copies of 12 and 14 are coverless.  I've also got a spare coverless copy of #13.  I figure the 2, 12, 14, and 15 are all getable still, but the 1 and 19 are probably hopeless.

My copies are almost uniformly low grade, but they've become a lot harder to find at all the last few years.

I bought a Venus #19 CGC 2.0 last March.  I had to sell a Fantastic Four #17 CGC 9.4 in order to pay for it.  There are probably a lot of silver age collectors out there that think I'm nuts for doing that.  The guy I bought the Venus from needed the money to buy a 7.0 Fantastic Four #1.  He sent me a photo of the FF.  It was cool, but no one was kissing a skeleton.

1 minute ago, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

I bought a Venus #19 CGC 2.0 last March.  I had to sell a Fantastic Four #17 CGC 9.4 in order to pay for it.  There are probably a lot of silver age collectors out there that think I'm nuts for doing that.  The guy I bought the Venus from needed the money to buy a 7.0 Fantastic Four #1.  He sent me a photo of the FF.  It was cool, but no one was kissing a skeleton.

I don't even want to know what you paid for it; the #19 is insane at the moment.  I got stupid lucky getting the #17 and #18 right before they went nuts.

14 minutes ago, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

It was $2200.  I got $2500 for the FF so I actually came out ahead a little.

Wow.  I think I'm going to just have to be happy I got the #17 for $100 about 4 years ago and let my dreams of the #19 fade away.  I really wish I had bought the coverless copy of #19 for $250 when it was on the bay for months, it disappeared right after I had decided to get it my next check.

Venus_17.jpg

20 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

Wow.  I think I'm going to just have to be happy I got the #17 for $100 about 4 years ago and let my dreams of the #19 fade away.  I really wish I had bought the coverless copy of #19 for $250 when it was on the bay for months, it disappeared right after I had decided to get it my next check.

Venus_17.jpg

The guy in the dungeon with Venus looks like Carl from Aqua Teen Hunger Force

I think Cleopatra looks crazy on this cover.  The time travel story is awful but I do have a complete run of Tales of Suspense.  Most of my Iron Man's are in way better shape than this one.  I didn't want to spend a bunch of money on it.

Tales of Suspense #44.jpg

Edited by Jasonmorris1000000

7 hours ago, MisterX said:

Hmm, can anybody else see the books I posted?

Nay:

Screenshot_2021-01-06-09-09-03.thumb.png.8d0e948403a7b81fc880735b6278ca86.png

Given the books involved though, that's likely a good thing :eek:

4 hours ago, Yes I Canada said:

This one is the worst. Never been a Kurtzman fan :sick:

I like his work on the science fiction and war books, not the humour material from EC. To me, it shows his range better.

Strange to say that, as many consider him to be one of comics’ all-time great humour cartoonists.

20 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

I like his work on the science fiction and war books, not the humour material from EC. To me, it shows his range better.

Strange to say that, as many consider him to be one of comics’ all-time great humour cartoonists.

I’m one of them.

If a comic book Mt. Rushmore had 7 or so faces, he’d be on mine.

5 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

I’m one of them.

If a comic book Mt. Rushmore had 7 or so faces, he’d be on mine.

For me, Kurtzman shows his range better in the science fiction and war stories, especially the former, where a light, humorous tone can suddenly shift to being quite dark and shocking towards the end.  Brilliantly expressive artwork and storytelling.

Edited by Ken Aldred

1 hour ago, Ken Aldred said:

For me, Kurtzman shows his range better in the science fiction and war stories, especially the former, where a light, humorous tone can suddenly shift to being quite dark and shocking towards the end.  Brilliantly expressive artwork and storytelling.

I wouldn't argue with the idea that Kurtzman's solo work is better on his war than his humor.  I think when he did layouts for humor for Elder or Wood or Davis to finish he was utterly brilliant, but I wouldn't disagree that his solo style worked better on the dramatic than the comedy.  (I still think his solo humor is great, just not as good as the other two cases.)

Edited by OtherEric

On 1/5/2021 at 4:57 PM, Scrooge said:

My March 1952 set has a couple of clunkers but none worse than this one -

31176851_HaHaComics82.jpg.62115536e86d96edcf34b0402d564042.jpg

On 1/5/2021 at 6:08 PM, catman76 said:

A comic full of Ken Hultgren and Dan Gordon artwork is a clunker? This is great stuff. The original poster too calling a Venus comic with great art a clunker too. Not the endless drek of the last 30 years but these great comics? WTF? 

I agree! That cover is yet another reminder of how many cool funny animal titles were published in the early 1950's.

(thumbsu

2 hours ago, Satan Stole My Lunch Money said:

First time this phrase has ever been uttered! lol

I have a fair number of cool funny animal comics. I wish I had loads more. Since I seem to be very close to the point where the superhero comics I most want are nearly impossible to find in higher grades or are completely unaffordable in those grades, I may very well devote more of my collecting efforts in future to other genres such as funny animal.

:juggle:

Edited by Hepcat