• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's the most horrible comic you've had to buy in order to complete a set?
4 4

107 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, Hepcat said:

I have a fair number of cool funny animal comics. I wish I had loads more. Since I seem to be very close to the point where the superhero comics I most want are nearly impossible to find in higher grades or are completely unaffordable in those grades, I may very well devote more of my collecting efforts in future on other genres such as funny animal.

:juggle:

Ever read any Carl Barks duck books?  They’re hilarious and wonderful.

25 minutes ago, BigLeagueCHEW said:

What the h,e,l,l is this? 001 now? Those eye's and that half figure to the left is for? Marvel needs to get it together. What does a 9.8 sell for these days? .001 cents lol

I believe the large hollow eyes are meant to symbolise the empty sockets of the many readers who had no choice but to gouge theirs out to ensure that they could never again look at it.

37 minutes ago, Satan Stole My Lunch Money said:

First time this phrase has ever been uttered! lol

Not even close.  Barks ducks?  Cool funny animal titles.  Walt Kelly Pogo (and others)?  Cool funny animal titles.  Sheldon Mayer DC funny animals?  Cool funny animal titles. 

I will freely grant they haven't kept up with the superhero or horror books in demand, but there are a lot of genuine classics in the genre.

3 hours ago, Hepcat said:

This one:

Green8_zps685fd5ca.jpg

I hate the way Green Lantern looks on this cover. I don't think wash-tone covers work for Green Lantern.

(shrug)

That's one of my favorite GL covers and I think I have the whole series.

Years ago I put together runs but not anymore. Just collect books and covers I like which means my collection is all over the place but I got use to it.

As for Venus title. I found one copy back in Australia and no issues before or after and this book was the only copy I found.

Just because this is issue 3 when it came to these older Aussie books doesn't mean there are any other issues. Unless earlier titles were different and they changed the title name for issue 4.

Screenshot_20210108-182151.thumb.png.18a3aeaa0df74ed9df742dd359ef3515.pngScreenshot_20210108-182214.thumb.png.dfd6da2fd5d406d4cdc026fc62802797.png

I think what makes this cover so terrible for me is the artist whose responsible for it. 

Even as as look at it now I still can’t hardly believe Jerry Bingham did this, even though it’s clearly his style. Bingham...who drew Batman: Son of the Demon. I guess I should give him credit for not just doing a lazy lightbox of the actors, but I’d still take a Jerome Moore photo-referenced cover over this one on a heartbeat. 

What really puts it over the top is how badly shaped the saucer section is of the Enterprise.  By 1986, if you’re pro artist and you somehow can’t draw the Enterprise, at that point there was tons a reference material out there to look at so really no excuse. 

953EB988-3FC7-4B9D-899E-D908669C4C6D.jpeg.fa312612ba49a5f7ae93179addd399be.jpeg

Edited by Number 6

10 hours ago, OtherEric said:

Not even close.  Barks ducks?  Cool funny animal titles.  Walt Kelly Pogo (and others)?  Cool funny animal titles.  Sheldon Mayer DC funny animals?  Cool funny animal titles. 

I will freely grant they haven't kept up with the superhero or horror books in demand, but there are a lot of genuine classics in the genre.

Early Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies too — the Leon Schlesinger covers on some of those first 20 or so are pretty cool.

1 hour ago, Readcomix said:

Early Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies too — the Leon Schlesinger covers on some of those first 20 or so are pretty cool.

I'm 15 issues short of the whole run on the Dell Looney Tunes, so no argument from me on that.  But the list of us who consider that a cool run is quite a bit smaller than the others I listed.