The Thread of Positivity
2 2

23 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, gumbydarnit said:

With a grim 2020 behind us. I thought I would kick the new year off with the THREAD OF POSITIVITY!!! 
 

Someone helped you on a deal, bought you a adult beverage at a con, or did a dealer hook you up with a sweet cornerstone piece... give em a shout out! I won’t take all the good ones, but I’ll get the ball rolling with my first positive nugget.

 

How cool is it that we have our own pro that is willing to sit in and add to our conversations about the greatest hobby in the world... collecting original art... SCOTT WILLIAMS THANK YOU! Your great tastes in original art is rivaled by your mad inking skills. We appreciate you offering up insights and fun back in the day stories and creating great art to feed the hobby!

 

I hope everyone will join in with something good to say... even if it’s redundant. If you’re typing a post and it’s negative, this is not the thread for you ; )

@stinkininkin

Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought a page from a dealer's site which had been posted ten years ago.  I feared the worst in terms of lost, delayed, already sold or removed from inventory, price changed, etc.  Result.......shipped the next day!  YAY!  Thanks to Anthony.  To celebrate, and in anticipation, I created an oversized reference print.

Happy New Year, David S. Albright

 

strikefullpagescanpiano.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

Thank you to everyone on this board who has provided me with a means to socialize without fear of catching Coronavirus.

Now...if only Paris, France could process international credit card payment without that same fear lollollol, and for extra "safety"... lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gumbydarnit said:

Cool artwork! Who’s the artist and what comic is it from?

I'll hazard a guess that the character is Strike from the old eclipse series.No clue as to the artist.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Toz said:

I'll hazard a guess that the character is Strike from the old eclipse series.No clue as to the artist.

Winner, and the artist is Tom Lyle circa 1988.  Check cat yronwode's wiki page for what she is up to!  David

Link to post
Share on other sites

Grape ape worked out a deal with Glen Brunswick for a page by an artist I’ve wanted to get since 1997. He gave me 20% off on a one time “let the buyer win” negotiation. Thanks Glen. It helped big time👍

Lee B.....this man I’ve been following for at least twenty years. He is an archival wizard preserving catalogs and pricing of original art going back maybe even to the sixties? He has a sweet personal collection and is someone I admire and appreciate a great deal.

Mitch I I consider a mentor. I’ve been bugging him about art, prices, history..

Mitch is tough but fair. He in my opinion has always delivered information you can rely on.

Then....all my friends on the chat. I have e met so many cool people here. Collectors, artists reps and dealers.

This was a thoughtful thread posted by my right on time buddy gumbydarnit. 
🍇 🦍 approved 👍

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, grapeape said:

Grape ape worked out a deal with Glen Brunswick for a page by an artist I’ve wanted to get since 1997. He gave me 20% off on a one time “let the buyer win” negotiation. Thanks Glen. It helped big time👍

Lee B.....this man I’ve been following for at least twenty years. He is an archival wizard preserving catalogs and pricing of original art going back maybe even to the sixties? He has a sweet personal collection and is someone I admire and appreciate a great deal.

Mitch I I consider a mentor. I’ve been bugging him about art, prices, history..

Mitch is tough but fair. He in my opinion has always delivered information you can rely on.

Then....all my friends on the chat. I have e met so many cool people here. Collectors, artists reps and dealers.

This was a thoughtful thread posted by my right on time buddy gumbydarnit. 
🍇 🦍 approved 👍

 

Thanks, Grapey.

I've been called a lot of things, Mentor isn’t one of them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, artdealer said:

Thanks, Grapey.

I've been called a lot of things, Mentor isn’t one of them.

You taught me a lot about art style and inkers as they really impact the final look on the page.Your catalogs had a way of capturing black and white art the same way the best film noir cinematographers captured their subject matter.

If not mentor certainly teacher!

 

ok enough praise for you don’t want you to get a big head!!!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

A few years ago I had trouble collecting on a commission from Bill Sienkiewicz. He had mailed me something in the past (Kaluta mailed me a commission as well. Even he laughed in surprise when I mentioned that once.) So I must have been feeling strong with my postal mojo and commissioned Bill again; I knew he would likely lightbox it so I knew it was a studio job. yadda yadda yadda and soon I was sunk. Then after mentioning it here (I think, IIRC) I got an email from a kind gentleman named John, who said he knew Bill and knew where and when he would be able to talk to Bill about it. I got my commission. John was gracious enough to allow me to buy him a beer, or two perhaps, and they went down well in good conversation and we had to stop as it was clear we could kill the night easily.

So thank you again John. He was a bit on the low down so no last name.

Also thank you to Simon Reed for facilitating my Simon Bisley commission. Yes he arranged the commission for The Biz but very quickly thereafter made it happen (on the weekend at a Leeds show perhaps?) and not that I no Bisley to be unprofessional or anything but I imagine he is a tough one to wrangle so thank, you Simon Reed.

Also a few individuals reached out to me when my deal from Cornette de st cyr went sour (because they did not secure the art for international transport) and even though they were not able to ultimately make anyone responsible it wasn;t for lack of trying apparently. So thank you to those boardies as well. No, not you...yeah, yeah, YOU.

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, grapeape said:

You taught me a lot about art style and inkers as they really impact the final look on the page.Your catalogs had a way of capturing black and white art the same way the best film noir cinematographers captured their subject matter.

If not mentor certainly teacher!

 

ok enough praise for you don’t want you to get a big head!!!

 

You positive you’re talking about me? 
You’re sure you’re not confusing me with someone else?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
2 2