• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

all eggs in one basket ?
2 2

31 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, aleksicwon said:

I would really like to start putting some runs together but I keep getting distracted by keys and other opportunities . I wish I has some focus , so many choices out there . 

Way too o much choice. When I started collecting again back in 08, my remit was any Marvel from 61 to 96, and any beyond. And some DC. And Marvel UK, and some Eclipse and anything else I picked up along the way. 

Now I have a better focus on the 9 or so major titles with a few extras. 

It feels good to have a narrower focus, there are maybe only about 200 books I want to add to my collection now. 

I have put allot of thought into this as well. 

For me, the reality is, if I sell my big keys to buy a huge key, I know I likely won't replace them. 

To use your situation, the JIM83 isn't a cheap book. It's more affordable than an AF15, but it's a book that would take allot of effort to replace.

It's really a personal choice.  Is that one big book more important to you than all those others? 

In the last few years I've started selling parts of my collection to help fund some bigger books. I haven't sold any big keys like my JIM83, but I've sold books like Avengers 57, ASM 300 and 101, a few FF48s.  I haven't missed them. I suspect I would feel differently when it comes to the bigger keys though. 

2 hours ago, aleksicwon said:

I would really like to start putting some runs together but I keep getting distracted by keys and other opportunities . I wish I has some focus , so many choices out there . 

I get the same way lol. 

When you are around this hobby, opportunities present themselves. It may not always be for the exact book your looking for, but I feel like you got to be able to jump on them when they are there, or you regret it.  So I always try to keep the financial flexibility to throw cash at comics when those opportunities are there. 

The consequence of that is, I've put allot of money towards those opportunities and not completed runs I've been after for a long time. It all just takes patience I suppose. 

This is a decision you will have to make. What will make you happier, having an AF15 or hanging on to the books you will have to give up to get one? It’s a question only you can answer.

18 hours ago, JohnH19 said:

This is a decision you will have to make. What will make you happier, having an AF15 or hanging on to the books you will have to give up to get one? It’s a question only you can answer.

Good point . Basically I am fine either way but looking for some financial justification for going one way or the other . Even though I don't like selling my comics , I still want them to appreciate in value . So is there an investment advantage to holding AF 15 vs holding the ones I have . That part I am not clear on . If there is no advantage , I prefer holding what I have .

Edited by aleksicwon

On 1/7/2021 at 2:35 PM, aleksicwon said:

No I have a large collection , I was just giving example of some .

Having a lot of books make you a collector. Selling them all and buying a mega-key makes you an investor. 

There is nothing wrong with either. 

If I could trade my thousands of books for ten mega books, I'd do it in a heartbeat. 

Do you enjoy your collection or does it just sit in boxes taking up space?

Would you keep the mega book in your home or in a bank vault?

53 minutes ago, aleksicwon said:

Good point . Basically I am fine either way but looking for some financial justification for going one way or the other . Even though I don't like selling my comics , I still want them to appreciate in value . So is there an investment advantage to holding AF 15 vs holding the ones I have . That part I am not clear on . If there is no advantage , I prefer holding what I have .

No one can answer this question, it's purely speculation. No one knows what is going to go up or down in the future with a collectible. Even though a book may appreciate in Overstreet, it may not translate to a higher selling price on the street. That's a supply/demand thing. You can't equate terms used in traditional financial vehicles to a collectible class.

You may be able to minimize your investment risk by consolidating to an AF15. A riskier investment would be to hold on to what you have and hope something takes off due to movie speculation, a break-out character/artist/etc.

Again, this is a personal choice we all face over the course of our collecting days.

Good luck with your decision!

-bc

18 minutes ago, bc said:

No one can answer this question, it's purely speculation. No one knows what is going to go up or down in the future with a collectible. Even though a book may appreciate in Overstreet, it may not translate to a higher selling price on the street. That's a supply/demand thing. You can't equate terms used in traditional financial vehicles to a collectible class.

You may be able to minimize your investment risk by consolidating to an AF15. A riskier investment would be to hold on to what you have and hope something takes off due to movie speculation, a break-out character/artist/etc.

Again, this is a personal choice we all face over the course of our collecting days.

Good luck with your decision!

-bc

Well I am talking about long term and my feeling is that all the stuff I have will multiply in value due to strong legacy . Of course , it would be really disappointing if the comics market totally crashed one day and nobody cared about it anymore .

I think I was interested in what other people think and if there is anything that really compelled me to sell  . I think the answer is no . Anyway , thanks for the interesting discussion everyone . 

Edited by aleksicwon

I would take the opposite path.  Sell all your big keys and buy as many cool books out of the cheap boxes that you can find. :)

I mean really, what would you rather have -- an ASM 300 CGC 9.8 or 8-10 long boxes of cool non-key books?

Then you have a great collection, and you can earn $3/hr selling books on Ebay when they get hot.  

To me the choice is clear :)