• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Art Preservation

23 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, Taylor G said:

I came across this interesting podcast about the Manx Loaghtan sheep, that people will mainly know from their appearance on rock album covers. 

The_Cult_(Black_Sheep)_cover.jpg

What is interesting about these sheep is that, although they've been around since the Bronze Age, they've come close to extinction several times, edged out by economically more viable breeds. 

What saved them from going out, was that every time they were down to just a few sheep, some eccentric gave the surviving sheep shelter on his farm, and when he died, another eccentric came along and took over their stewardship.  Now they are thriving as the inhabitants of the Isle of Man take pride in this very distinctive breed of sheep.   They survive because of the efforts of literally a handful of farmers who saw more than just economic prospects.

What has this got to do with conserving comic art?  Left as an exercise to the reader.

I’m ready to do my part in conserving comic art by becoming an eccentric shepherd-farmer. 

For anyone that's interested in preservation, here is a fascinating documentary about why we still have some of Georges Méliès' films in pristine condition:

I knew that the best preserved of his films were found in the Library of Congress, but the story of how they got there is fascinating, and should resonate with anyone trying to hunt down vintage artwork.  

A foundation has been established to preserve comic art for future generations:

null.png?resize=696,257&ssl=1

In addition to curating private collections, the Foundation has many other activities planned that include: Working with Universities and their Special Collection departments, domestic & international mobile museums, school lectures, fundraising auctions, comic industry scholarships, convention programming, original art preservation and events to raise awareness and funds.

The Foundation already has it’s [sic] first large donation and is working with the special collections division at the famed University of Pennsylvania to secure, catalog and house these prized possessions.

In addition, their first live fundraising event is coming on March 25, 2022: a charity film screening with legendary creator Frank Miller in Arizona. This will serve as the first ever US screening of the new documentary film Frank Miller: American Genius.

gacaf-miller-benefit.jpg?resize=696,696&