• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

London office submission
2 2

14 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I am living in Switzerland and I was planning to submit some comics to CGC Florida. However, I realized that the shipping cost for the submission were WAY too expensive.

Thus, I have contacted the London office and ask them if it was possible to submit the comics to them directly in order to lower the shipping cost.

I was happy to read that they indeed accept to do so. You only need to select "drop-off to London office" when doing your submission, but still send it by mail. You then need to arrange a courier for the return as soon as your comics have been graded.

So I decided to start a new submission for the London office. However, I quickly realized that the price to submit to the London office are MUCH higher...

As an example, for a 8 comics submission (pressing + grading), the cost to send it to Florida was 245$ (without shipping). But when doing the exact same submission for the London office (same books, grading + pressing), the cost was 307£, which is around 407$... The price almost doubled...

Am I the only one to think that it is ridiculous... At the end, it is way more expensive to submit your book through London, even with lower shipping costs...

Anyone knows what is the deal with that ?

Thank !

On 1/7/2021 at 12:32 PM, Jeremysitb said:

Hey guys,

I am living in Switzerland and I was planning to submit some comics to CGC Florida. However, I realized that the shipping cost for the submission were WAY too expensive.

Thus, I have contacted the London office and ask them if it was possible to submit the comics to them directly in order to lower the shipping cost.

I was happy to read that they indeed accept to do so. You only need to select "drop-off to London office" when doing your submission, but still send it by mail. You then need to arrange a courier for the return as soon as your comics have been graded.

So I decided to start a new submission for the London office. However, I quickly realized that the price to submit to the London office are MUCH higher...

As an example, for a 8 comics submission (pressing + grading), the cost to send it to Florida was 245$ (without shipping). But when doing the exact same submission for the London office (same books, grading + pressing), the cost was 307£, which is around 407$... The price almost doubled...

Am I the only one to think that it is ridiculous... At the end, it is way more expensive to submit your book through London, even with lower shipping costs...

Thank !

Hello Jeremy and welcome to the CGC boards :)

I think you will stand a greater chance of getting a reply from CGC staff if you post your question here, in the "Ask CGC" forum:

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/forum/23-ask-cgc/

Unfortunately, CGC have set up three different questions forums on the boards:

1. The one we are in now, which is for comic related questions (which is the first appearance of Batman, that kind of thing)
  2. The 'Ask CGC' one which is where your procedural / submission type of question best sits
  3. And a site technical one which you will find at the foot of the main page

I have suggested behind the scenes that a more simplified set up would help as we often see questions being asked in the wrong place which then do not get answered as a result. That's not your fault - with three Q&A forums, one at the top, one at the bottom and one in the middle, its easy to miss them, especially if you are new.

I've flagged @Jennifer F. who is one of the admin team whose role includes responding to your type of question and maybe she will pick it up from here. You can also telephone CGC and discuss it with them as sometimes that is easier than an email dialogue, especially when there are follow up questions - the contact numbers can be found here:

https://www.cgccomics.com/contact/

Good luck!

1 hour ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Hello Jeremy and welcome to the CGC boards :)

I think you will stand a greater chance of getting a reply from CGC staff if you post your question here, in the "Ask CGC" forum:

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/forum/23-ask-cgc/

Unfortunately, CGC have set up three different questions forums on the boards:

1. The one we are in now, which is for comic related questions (which is the first appearance of Batman, that kind of thing)
  2. The 'Ask CGC' one which is where your procedural / submission type of question best sits
  3. And a site technical one which you will find at the foot of the main page

I have suggested behind the scenes that a more simplified set up would help as we often see questions being asked in the wrong place which then do not get answered as a result. That's not your fault - with three Q&A forums, one at the top, one at the bottom and one in the middle, its easy to miss them, especially if you are new.

I've flagged @Jennifer F. who is one of the admin team whose role includes responding to your type of question and maybe she will pick it up from here. You can also telephone CGC and discuss it with them as sometimes that is easier than an email dialogue, especially when there are follow up questions - the contact numbers can be found here:

https://www.cgccomics.com/contact/

Good luck!

@Brittany M.

Thanks for letting me inow 😊

• Administrator
4 hours ago, Jeremysitb said:

Hey guys,

Thank !

Hi @Jeremysitb,

Please note that the UK grading fees include round trip shipping and insurance from the UK office to the US office and back to the UK office. You can pick up the items from the UK office without any additional fees, pay the additional UK insured postage rate, or set up a courier of your choosing (cheaper but typically uninsured). 

If you submit directly to the US office you will need to factor in your shipping to and from the facility. Please note that international shipments are not insured unless you provide your own shipping carrier and 3rd party insurance coverage. Carriers do not insure collectibles for international transit.

As always, it is best to submit books in larger quantities to mitigate your shipping costs. CGC can ship up to 25 books per package. 

For any other questions please reach out to the US or UK offices directly. 

US Office - submissions@cgccomics.com

UK Office - service@cgccomics.uk

There’s probably some very individual specific math someone needs to do based on their own situation to decide if London or Florida direct makes more sense

On 1/7/2021 at 6:19 PM, revat said:

There’s probably some very individual specific math someone needs to do based on their own situation to decide if London or Florida direct makes more sense

I did the math and I can tell you that it is more worth it (for me at least) to send directly to Florida than London.

A shame that we have a London office that does not grade comics... I hope CGC will change that one day.

32 minutes ago, Jeremysitb said:

I did the math and I can tell you that it is more worth it (for me at least) to send directly to Florida than London.

A shame that we have a London office that does not grade comics... I hope CGC will change that one day.

It would be nice for the denizens of Londonville, but I can't see it ever happening as then you would have two CGC grading camps which the public could then compare. Imagine if the perception grew, rightly or wrongly, that one side was less strict than the other...

16 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

It would be nice for the denizens of Londonville, but I can't see it ever happening as then you would have two CGC grading camps which the public could then compare. Imagine if the perception grew, rightly or wrongly, that one side was less strict than the other...

You are so right. I didn’t think about that. It will happen for sure haha.

Well, I guess I’ll have to keep sending my comics to Florida then 😅

On 1/9/2021 at 10:31 AM, Jeremysitb said:

I am a UK-based collector too, and have spent MILLIONS on shipping fees to/fro the US over the years (well, probably not 000,000s in fact, but often it feels like it). I think the commercial opportunity to grade comics in the UK is one that CGC should look at. I know I would use it, and know others too who are sick of inflated postage charges and slow (or lost) deliveries.

6 hours ago, StephenWA said:

I am a UK-based collector too, and have spent MILLIONS on shipping fees to/fro the US over the years (well, probably not 000,000s in fact, but often it feels like it). I think the commercial opportunity to grade comics in the UK is one that CGC should look at. I know I would use it, and know others too who are sick of inflated postage charges and slow (or lost) deliveries.

Without any doubt! Every European CGC member will use this service. Personally, I would submit way more often just because I would save so much on shipping.

I mean, every submission I do to CGC Florida cost me between 250-500$ because of shipping (minimum 130$)

It’s a very expensive hobby :ohnoez:

8 minutes ago, E5150 said:
1 hour ago, Jeremysitb said:

Without any doubt! Every European CGC member will use this service. Personally, I would submit way more often just because I would save so much on shipping.

I mean, every submission I do to CGC Florida cost me between 250-500$ because of shipping (minimum 130$)

It’s a very expensive hobby :ohnoez:

I have the perfect idea to save you some money - don't slab your comics :ohnoez:

Think of how many more comics he could buy if he wasn't paying for slabbing

1 hour ago, Jeffro. said:

Think of how many more comics he could buy if he wasn't paying for slabbing

As I was saying, it’s a hobby and I love that. I planned my budget for that and I am always so happy to receive my comics from CGC.

Of course, I would be much happier if it would be cheaper. But we can’t have everything -_-

If CGC were to have a London office, where those in the UK and Europe could get their books graded, wouldn’t they make sure that the people they employed were taught to the same level of grading as those based in Florida?

I would see this as a CGC franchise type thing. If you go anywhere in the world, the McDonalds meal you’ve eaten has been prepared and cooked the same way as it is done in the US. Conformity and consistency is the key thing here. If you have that, you can replicate that business model anywhere in the world. I can’t think of a reason why CGC couldn’t do the same!

Andy