• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this cut/tear a grade crusher?
1 1

20 posts in this topic

It would have been nice to display that Senorita Rio promo in a slab but I don't have a clue how much that corner would affect the grade.

IMG_20210107_214723491.jpg

IMG_20210107_215028775.jpg

IMG_20210107_214826608.jpg

IMG_20210107_215115925.jpg

IMG_20210107_214818000.jpg

IMG_20210107_214812725.jpg

Edited by nines

Apologies, I didn't want to bore anyone with details. I'm fairly new at this and haven't seen too much =\  after inspecting it a bit more it just seems someone just caught the corner pretty hard with a razor/x-acto, and the cover tore some more (around the spine) after the matter. I thought initially it could be a brittle split and was hesitant to get in there, but it's nice and supple and tight.

For a while I was specifically looking for FH issues with the Senorita Rio back cover promo. I think it is fantastic and I wanted to be able to show it without pulling it out of the bag. I was hoping it would be part of my first submission to CGC but if that corner really hammers the grade I guess I'll just put it in a heavy mylar

Parts of the front and back cover are damaged. Interior pages are crushed and split. The book will take a major hit, which is sad, as this is a nice copy otherwise. 

An experienced presser can manipulate the paper back into place without glue or tape, which will make it present better if you decide to slab it. 

1 hour ago, Ride the Tiger said:

The OP mentions that they believe someone may have damaged the book when trying to trim it. If that's the case then this book will take an even bigger hit from a restoration label.

I think a blade was involved (maybe its possible a hard pinch and bend could break those pages like that?) but I don't believe its been trimmed. I have an early Jumbo issue to compare measurements and they line right up. 

31 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

GA books get more passes I find

Without the tear, hmm seems 8.5ish. With the tear, I think it drops down to Fine range personally. I would not be surprised at a 6.0-6.5

That, I would be very happy with. Thanks!

Edited by nines

1 minute ago, nines said:

I think a blade was involved (maybe its possible a hard pinch and bend could break those pages like that?) but I don't believe its been trimmed. I have an early Jumbo issue to compare measurements and they line right up. 

That, I would be very happy with. Thanks!

I do think it more likely than a 5.0 or lower. I would be surprised it they hit it that hard, especially a GA book. 

3 minutes ago, Satan Stole My Lunch Money said:

That's way too high IMO. 3/4 of the book is damaged, it's not just a tear to the back cover.

In that it goes through the pages? It is hard to really see that if that is the case. And even so, this appears more production related. I would be stunned if they put this 3.0 and shocked at 4.0. I know the back cover DEFINITELY matters when grading but just from what I have seen on GA books, this sort of thing, when it is the only large flaw, tends to hit it but now down a full 4 grades from where it might be otherwise. 

I've seen 6.0 graded Silver Age books that are flawless except for a 1-2 inch tear along an edge on the back. Basing it off those and applying that to this book is why I think Fine range is an achievable grade. 

Really though we can debate for days and the only truth is to send that sucker in :)

Edited by comicginger1789

17 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

In that it goes through the pages? It is hard to really see that if that is the case. And even so, this appears more production related. I would be stunned if they put this 3.0 and shocked at 4.0. I know the back cover DEFINITELY matters when grading but just from what I have seen on GA books, this sort of thing, when it is the only large flaw, tends to hit it but now down a full 4 grades from where it might be otherwise. 

I only have a lousy camera phone to work with but yes there's about a 1" long cut and it's deep, through almost half the pages. If you look close at the last pic you can see the centerfolds arent sitting where theyre supposed to. When I get home I'm going to take another look and see if I can tuck the centerfolds back in there, and take a clearer pic with the bc open. TBH I love the book either way, and that's all that matters. Even if it's a 1.8 I doubt I'll find a copy that presents better without shelling good $$

I think the book would be a 4.0 tops. The presentation is nice but the split / ripped pages drops it significantly.  This isn't a tear on a cover, it is large and multiple pages of the book.

Maybe the OP can post the book in the "Please Grade My " thread and we can see what others think.