• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I Don't Want Old Grails
2 2

135 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, Comics4All said:

You forgot ASM 361 And Batman adventures 12 

I'll replace NM 87 with BA 12-87 aint worth much neither is ASM 361 so two.
And theyre fairly weak keys compared to SA keys worth hundreds o thousands.
Few hunnerd bucks is all.

Edited by kav

13 minutes ago, kav said:

like new mutants 87 and 98 I guess.

They were made in 1990, but I always associated the NM run as pure, good old copper.  Those were pre-gimmick, pre-speculation issues that were designed to attract readers.  Also, as much as people seem to dislike Liefeld, that was his best era, and he did draw a mean pre-retconned Sabretooth too.

The beginning of Image in conjunction with the die-cut hologram covers at Marvel and the death of Superman is in general where the modern era starts for me and when I finally realized (even way back then) that what was being released was stuff that I and largely nobody else really wanted anymore.

2 minutes ago, Von Cichlid said:

They were made in 1990, but I always associated the NM run as pure, good old copper.  Those were pre-gimmick, pre-speculation issues that were designed to attract readers.  Also, as much as people seem to dislike Liefeld, that was his best era, and he did draw a mean pre-retconned Sabretooth too.

The beginning of Image in conjunction with the die-cut hologram covers at Marvel and the death of Superman is in general where the modern era starts for me and when I finally realized (even way back then) that what was being released was stuff that I and largely nobody else really wanted anymore.

So basically no grails in the 90s.  yep.

2 minutes ago, kav said:

So basically no grails in the 90s.  yep.

Don't tell Bits that ASM 361 is not a grail! lol

There are no real grails in the 90s but those books along with the ones you mentioned are still worth some $$

5 minutes ago, Comics4All said:

There are no real grails in the 90s but those books along with the ones you mentioned are still worth some $$

SOME.  Not a whole hell of a lot tho.  

1 minute ago, Comics4All said:

I think NM 87, 98 and X-Men 266 and ASM 361 are all really fun books that there will always be a market for because they were all made when collectors were still primarily readers and cared about the art and stories.  

3 minutes ago, Comics4All said:

yes BA 12 is not worth Showcase 4, but there are some 90s books that are still worth $$$$$ compared to Drek like this:

troll liefeld.jpe

well but compared to that woodgod is a high dollar book.

Just now, Von Cichlid said:

I think NM 87, 98 and X-Men 266 and ASM 361 are all really fun books that there will always be a market for because they were all made when collectors were still primarily readers and cared about the art and stories.  

Yes, They are 1st appearances of characters who are here to stay. 

Deadpool is very popular and  Harley Quinn has really achieved a huge popularity status , I would say almost as big as Wonder Woman. 

3 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

Many of the books I collect I obtain because I like the artwork.

Just like Edgar Church!!!!
Ps I love the DC Sci Fi books-they blew marvel away in this dept.  Mainly because they hired established sci fi authors like edmond hamilton and otto binder.  I predicted strange adv and mystery in space were undervalued several years ago and i have been proven correct.

Just now, kav said:

Just like Edgar Church!!!!
Ps I love the DC Sci Fi books-they blew marvel away in this dept.  Mainly because they hired established sci fi authors like edmond hamilton and otto binder.  I predicted strange adv and mystery in space were undervalued several years ago and i have been proven correct.

More books I have never read!

Just now, Artboy99 said:

More books I have never read!

Stories are absurdly fascinating.  They injected real science a lot but also strayed way off the path of science.  

you cant read a slabbed book anyway, so it doesn't really matter if the story or art in some grail doesn't do it for you. it's all about the first appearance of a character that has meaning for alot of folks. but if it has no meaning for you, good! less competition for the rest of us. 

16 minutes ago, Comics4All said:

Yes, They are 1st appearances of characters who are here to stay. 

Deadpool is very popular and  Harley Quinn has really achieved a huge popularity status , I would say almost as big as Wonder Woman. 

BA 12 is the 2nd most expensive book of the 90's I can think of, and it feels more copper than modern to me, but I still don't desire that one enough to spend the price it commands because it is not one I ever wanted as a kid.  

I still totally recognize its key status and staying power, though.

14 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

I started collecting comics when I was 5-6 years old. The first comic I ever bought with my allowance was Fantastic Four 112. So I guess I am a product of the bronze age, and I have very fond memories of those books.

I have bought a lot of comics over the 50 years I have been buying/ collecting. I have many I have never read, and many I never will read.

Many of the books I collect I obtain because I like the artwork.

Others I collect because of a "coolness" factor. Some will argue the "coolness" factor is in my opinion only. I say to each their own.

And then others are because I can buy them and then sell them later to make a profit.

Then there are the choices I have made over the years as far as what to read. Many I read because I bought them and felt I had to read them. That changed to what do I want to read. Others saying a book was a great read has influenced me I also have to add.

I had never read a golden aged book until I finally bought one in 2009. I have read quite a few of them since and I have to say I absolutely love quite a few of them especially the horror books. Some of those short stories are just amazing, so I am glad I have read what I did. 

I own books I have yet to read even though I want to and because others say it is great ( Kingdom Come as an example ) so my reading "stack" is gargantuan. My opinion on that is it is a good problem to have.

I guess to summarize my rambling is to say this: Keep on buying and keep on reading. It isn't all junk. There are some wonderous treasures out there to find, and decades of books to search through to find them. Enjoy it!

True.  Even as bad as things got around 94 or so, there were still some things I enjoyed after that era.  The Ennis / Dillon Punisher and Daredevil Marvel Knights I remember liking a whole lot.  I liked X-Men the Hidden Years too.  That was probably because those were throwbacks to a more classic era though.