• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm new to collecting graded books.
1 1

5 posts in this topic

Thanks for reading.

Does the FMV go up and down strictly  based on sales?

I'm a 80s kid so older books don't make me tingle like a good McFarlane cover or the Punisher/Wolverine limited series' do.

Spider Man 299 in 9.8 has dropped from 600 to 425 in the past month or 2.

Punisher 1 Limited from 180 to 130.

Then you have Spawn books that came out 2 years ago going for crazy prices.

On top of that...most sellers on Ebay seem to always expect to get more than FMV.

Any advice on navigating this minefield?

I’m not sure it’s possible to answer your question without knowing what you’re referring to when you say fair market value.  
Are you referring to FMV for submission to CGC, so you can determine that you’re submitting in the right tier?  FMV on GoCollect?  GPA?  

In general, fair market value is just an estimate based on what people are known to pay for books.  Hot books go up. Previously hot books go down.

Edited by SOTIcollector

Go slow and learn the answers to your questions before jumping in the pool. When an uninformed newcomer ends up in a fight with multiple experienced buyers, the outcome rarely is good news for the newbie.

The good news is that 99.9% of the books you will want are plentiful and with patience, you will find some at reasonable rates.