• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My experience with fractional ownership of comics: JIM #83 / $215,000
3 3

444 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, FoggyNelson said:

That is how I think this JIM 83 story would end also🤣🤣🤪

I can see wanting to own part of something like a Horse or a sports team...but...why engage in owning something you can't even touch? Buy stocks if you want to invest in something on paper...

Just now, Funnybooks said:

I can see wanting to own part of something like a Horse or a sports team...but...why engage in owning something you can't even touch? Buy stocks if you want to invest in something on paper...

What if you could buy into fractional ownership of the MH Action 1?

1 hour ago, ThothAmon said:

OP has really done little to make this thread informative about the business model. Personally for my collectible dollars I’d rather own 100 percent of a lesser book, that is in my possession, than a fractional share in a Grail.  That’s even before accounting for the anticipated fees and expenses owed the company.  

100% why would I trust these guys when I get to enjoy and curate my own collection.

I wondered about their fees as they talk about their team of experts, their custom built climate controlled east coast facility and their showroom at 250 Lafayette Street, New York, NY and they must have expenses related to turning each collectible into a 'sub-company'.

The only information I could find on their website was

"Our fees reflect our goal to democratize the alternative asset market. In order to keep barriers to participation as low as possible, we don’t charge any commissions or management fees on the value of your investments. And the App is free, so you can browse and participate in community features at no cost. Presently, all your trades are also free. We may expand our offering to include pay-as-you-go and subscription plans that come with premium features, but we are committed to open access, so we’ll make sure there’s always a free option."

How do they pay their fees and expenses, and how do they make money?

1 minute ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

What if you could buy into fractional ownership of the MH Action 1?

The concept is just not appealing to me unless I wanted to own a piece for sheets and giggles...I'd rather be a part owner of a horse and say I own a hoof...at least I could watch my horse race...

screen-shot-2018-08-28-at-54641-pmpng-ff32434fb7c07b87.png

1 minute ago, Funnybooks said:

The rest of the world is too smart to buy into this ponz...i mean investment plan...so they won't even bother

Well, I figured why not toss $20 on a key just to see how it works.  There's no option to enter a non us state or non us postal code.

Just now, Krismusic said:

loonies

Gonna keep getting stronger for the foreseeable future. I see parity in the not so distant future.  As far as this scheme goes, the fractional share price probably is embedded with fees (think time shares). 

43 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

How do they pay their fees and expenses, and how do they make money?

Could be they purchase the collectibles on credit then the IPOs supply a nice cash pile for expenses.

8 minutes ago, ThothAmon said:

Gonna keep getting stronger for the foreseeable future. I see parity in the not so distant future.  As far as this scheme goes, the fractional share price probably is embedded with fees (think time shares). 

In this time and age of the digital internet everything, every asset seem to be broken down into underlying ressources, these components are then organized, made transparent, made acessible, surveyed as this information “wants to be free”. Everything is made fluid, flexible as an online ressource “empowering” and “democratizing” access in the holy name of global solidarity. I will not be the slightest surprised if this innovation proves to be viable and manage to attract many, many individuals that want to own their own little part of say an Action 1. They want to be a part of the dream.

whats the difference between going to the bank vault to unlock your grailbook encapsulated in plastic and gaze at it through the plastic and then going online to view the mega grail you own a share of?

5 minutes ago, Mr bla bla said:

In this time and age of the digital internet everything, every asset seem to be broken down into underlying ressources, these components are then organized, made transparent, made acessible, surveyed as this information “wants to be free”. Everything is made fluid, flexible as an online ressource “empowering” and “democratizing” access in the holy name of global solidarity. I will not be the slightest surprised if this innovation proves to be viable and manage to attract many, many individuals that want to own their own little part of say an Action 1. They want to be a part of the dream.

whats the difference between going to the bank vault to unlock your grailbook encapsulated in plastic and gaze at it through the plastic and then going online to view the mega grail you own a share of?

The difference is rallyrd immediately puts your money to sleep for 90 days post-IPO, and then they only let you trade shares one day a month following the lockup period (better hope you don't need your money in a pinch).  Their website is as bare bones as you can get (no past results, no current offerings, just "Try the app!"), and as several others have pointed out, they have a lot of small print aimed at avoiding any type of liability.

The concept of fractional ownership is solid.  The execution by rallyrd is abysmal.

19 hours ago, valiantman said:

The only CGC 9.4 sale recorded for 2020 was $210,000.  GoCollect may have $140,000, but $210,000 is the most recent recorded price.  As far as the rest of the discussion goes, it's linked in @THE_BEYONDER post above.

I checked the past auction for Comic Link, specifically the May and June completed auctions, and I find the JIM #83 sold for $141,778. (shrug)

image.thumb.jpeg.5a3222a7bb06b3b33c530ca07bc5033f.jpeg

35 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

The difference is rallyrd immediately puts your money to sleep for 90 days post-IPO, and then they only let you trade shares one day a month following the lockup period (better hope you don't need your money in a pinch).  Their website is as bare bones as you can get (no past results, no current offerings, just "Try the app!"), and as several others have pointed out, they have a lot of small print aimed at avoiding any type of liability.

The concept of fractional ownership is solid.  The execution by rallyrd is abysmal.

I haven't looked at RallyRd and don't know any of the fine print. However, lock ups in alternative asset classes are not uncommon. I have no idea how they price their "shares" when it comes to transacting post IPO, but if it is anywhere near market value it does not seem unreasonable to me. Try moving a key book in 30 days for market value and I suspect you will find that the liquidity is not that different.