• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My experience with fractional ownership of comics: JIM #83 / $215,000
3 3

444 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, frozentundraguy said:
21 hours ago, valiantman said:

The only CGC 9.4 sale recorded for 2020 was $210,000.  GoCollect may have $140,000, but $210,000 is the most recent recorded price.  As far as the rest of the discussion goes, it's linked in @THE_BEYONDER post above.

I checked the past auction for Comic Link, specifically the May and June completed auctions, and I find the JIM #83 sold for $141,778. (shrug)

1 hour ago, Shrevvy said:

GPA shows $210,000 on June 30, 2020 for this book:

Verify CGC Certification | CGC (cgccomics.com)

It does not show the venue at which it was sold.

26 minutes ago, valiantman said:

I get that. I also checked Comic Connect and Heritage and do not see a sale for 210K this year, so perhaps it's on Ebay. Perhaps this point has been made, but in treating these comics like shares of stocks I see a possible problem due to a lack of frequent trading. Suppose the next sale is 140K. The investors at 210K then just lost 33% of their investment, though it may take months to find that out.

13 minutes ago, frozentundraguy said:

I get that. I also checked Comic Connect and Heritage and do not see a sale for 210K this year, so perhaps it's on Ebay. Perhaps this point has been made, but in treating these comics like shares of stocks I see a possible problem due to a lack of frequent trading. Suppose the next sale is 140K. The investors at 210K then just lost 33% of their investment, though it may take months to find that out.

Correct, however, if you own $100 worth of a $210K book that drops to $140K, you've lost $30.  If you own the whole $210K book that drops to $140K, you've lost $70,000.  The percentage is the same, but most people are okay with losing $30 and very un-okay with losing $70,000.

14 hours ago, Gman65NJ said:

Interesting discussion. I would think collectors would welcome things like this that make collecting more accessible, creates more interest in general and drive up prices.

Attached is latest as of this morning...82% funded.  Average investment $236.

0B4B48C7-DB78-41A7-AA56-FAC734F0DBC7.png

I thought these were so hot they sold out in 2 minutes hm

21 hours ago, Funnybooks said:

I can see wanting to own part of something like a Horse or a sports team...but...why engage in owning something you can't even touch? Buy stocks if you want to invest in something on paper...

I think the appeal is that they are investing in something they have (or at least think they have) extensive knowledge of. I invest in stocks, but as I find that deadly boring and have zero interest in learning about them, I pay my financial advisor to make those decisions. I still think this is a terrible idea, but I understand the appeal. It’s easier to predict that AF15 will increase in value than it is to figure out how possible government legislation will impact your energy portfolio.

10 hours ago, KCOComics said:

It's hard for me to imagine buying shares of a book like JIM83 when you can buy and own a low grade affordable copy. 

Attached is my JIM83 bought here on the boards about 2 years ago. It's no 9.4, it's not going to win a beauty contest, but I do own 100% of it. I can hold it and look at it.  

I can't imagine spending $500 on shares of a book I would never own, when $500 would make a meaningful dent in the cost of a low grade copy I have to myself. 

Now, I suppose when your talking about Tec27s or AC1s, the math is different. You can't buy a single page for under 4 figures. But I would still rather put $500 toward a cool superman book I could afford, then owning a share of a book I'll never see. 

IMG_20210109_215802238.jpg

Exactly and still be able to hold it and display the copy. Why stare at a copy online when you can do that with a high res. scan from Heritage.

On 1/8/2021 at 12:17 PM, Gman65NJ said:

There’s a site - https://rallyrd.com/ that buys collectibles of all sorts - cars, wine, and of course comics - and then allows fractional ownership. To give you a sense of how hot Rally is and collectible comics are - the JIM 83 IPO went live today and was 50% funded ($109k) in three minutes. 

So I’m now the proud owner of a few shares of a 9.4 JIM 83.

recent sell outs include an Avengers 1 9.6 at $270k (across 633 initial investors...so avg investment of $426) and an 8.0 AF 15 at $200k valuation across 800 investors.

9F46ED8A-F657-41D7-BB35-3D28C51268BF.png

1. People are easy to heard like cattle

2. The company will go Bankrupt, or close it's doors and skip town with the books.

A waste of time IMO