• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My experience with fractional ownership of comics: JIM #83 / $215,000
3 3

444 posts in this topic

I have a few questions, if anyone knows the answers, I'd like to understand this scheme better as this is not the first time this site has been discussed.

Is the NM 9.4 JIM 83 a book already purchased by Rally, or are they crowd-funding the purchase through the selling of shares?

How is payment made to purchase shares? If PayPal is accepted, can it be goods and services?

Do "sharedholders" have any say on how long they can hold the book before it sells, or is this already predetermined at the time shares are sold?

2 hours ago, shadroch said:

For a fairly small company, they have a pretty impressive management team, and their car division has gotten a number of good write-ups. 

You aren't buying a comic. You are investing in an asset that has a proven track record. No one knows what the future will bring, but if you'd been able to invest in this ten or twenty years ago, you'd be sitting pretty. The management has a good track record when selecting cars for people to invest in, from what I can tell.  People who bought in to the first two cars they sold made 18% on one, and 16% on the other. Not a home run, but a solid double.

I'm thinking they diversified into collectibles as a way to get younger people involved in their business and perhaps cross over into the classic car hobby. 

are you "invested"? you are giving a  recommendation....and an endorsement, really.

did you "invest" $60,000.00 that allowed you to buy a jet?

or, did you "invest" in a tesla they were offering?

or, have you already "invested" in a comic with this "investment" company? if so, did you make 16-185 on your "investment'? if so, over what period of time?

how are you aware of who made what %? is this "investment" opportunity strictly regulated?

a couple of write ups and " a pretty impressive management team" does not make a company a good investment.

ponzi schemes always look good and are recommended by the persons that got in early on a good deal. then they become complicit in keeping it appear to be a good "investment", for the simple reason that it isn't.

exactly what is the proven track record asset that has a proven record that can be vetted, trusted and publicly endorsed? madoff had all that, also

simply, if this is such a wonderful investment that gets a solid double, exactly what % of your available investment portfolio is with this wonderful opportunity that has an impressive management team?

does their "car division" have a lot of teslas?

one of the most disappointing investments in the last 2 years has been "classic cars". it isn't a "hobby". it is a boat.

2 hours ago, comicwiz said:

I have a few questions, if anyone knows the answers, I'd like to understand this scheme better as this is not the first time this site has been discussed.

Is the NM 9.4 JIM 83 a book already purchased by Rally, or are they crowd-funding the purchase through the selling of shares?

How is payment made to purchase shares? If PayPal is accepted, can it be goods and services?

Do "sharedholders" have any say on how long they can hold the book before it sells, or is this already predetermined at the time shares are sold?

Let me ring their PR man, @valiantman.

:jokealert:

15 minutes ago, manetteska said:

Let me ring their PR man, @valiantman.

:jokealert:

I don't work for RallyRd, but I'm happy to provide information that is both public and filed with the SEC.

RallyRd bought the CGC 9.4 JIM 83 from Metropolis for $195K in September 2020:

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1768126/000176812620000042/rseaex6z122.htm

This is what RallyRd is doing with the money they make from the $215K "initial offering":

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1768126/000176812620000042/rsea1apos.htm#_Toc53571058

Edited by valiantman

1 hour ago, musicmeta said:

Is there a agreed upon date to sell it.  i.e.  Sell it 2 years from today?   ..or do all buyers have to agree to sell it on <insert date here> date?  

According to their site, when they first offer shares in a product, you can't sell yours for 90 days. After that they have an exchange where you can buy or sell your shares. Thy plan on holding most items long term but have sold two cars. The people who were in the IPO for the cars saw 16% and 18% profits on their investments. 

They explain it all pretty clearly on their website. I'm watching them and if they have an item I like, I will invest. The JIM at $250,000 is too high for me, but some of the non-comic items might be worth taking a shot on.

From most of the comments I've read here, I was expecting a fly by night operation run by dubious mystery men.  I looked into it thinking it was a POS and quickly realized it was anything but.

I'm now on their mailing list for future offerings and may or may not participate in one.

The website mentions checks. I didn't see anything about paypal. I would doubt they would eat the PP fees.

Most of your questions would be answered by their website. They have assets in the 20 million dollar range so they may lock in a book with a line of credit and then sell shares. I'm not sure but I imagine they would answer any questions you have.

As I have said, they have a pretty impressive management team. 

23 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Thanks Here’s how it seems to work. Rally enters into agreement with Metropolis to have the right to buy comic for $195,000. Metropolis continues to hold asset. Rally sells shares valuing asset approx $40,000 higher than the purchase price from Metropolis. There’s the fees! Questions I have is does Vincent or other key Metropolis personnel  have any ownership interest in Rally Rd?  If not I’ll be interested to see how this works out asVincent has been touting comics and other collectibles as an alternate investment in a well balanced portfolio for a long time so it should come as no surprise. Was gonna register but my social security number was a bridge too far. Here’s some disclosures I didn’t read. 

https://legal.drivewealth.com/terms-of-use/
https://legal.drivewealth.com/customer-account-agreement/

https://legal.drivewealth.com/alternative-investments-agreement/

https://legal.drivewealth.com/disclosures-disclaimers/

1 hour ago, ThothAmon said:

Thanks Here’s how it seems to work. Rally enters into agreement with Metropolis to have the right to buy comic for $195,000. Metropolis continues to hold asset. Rally sells shares valuing asset approx $40,000 higher than the purchase price from Metropolis. There’s the fees! 

$20,000 higher.  They're asking $215,000 and paying $195,000.

On 1/9/2021 at 9:53 AM, Gman65NJ said:

No fees/commissions charged to investors. Rally makes money from the seller like an auction house. I’m guessing they make something on securities lending/cash as well like Robinhood although that’s not clear.

It's not clear but....

tenor (2).gif

yeah, that was, like, an awesome read about the dude, just awesome.

so, like, he needs another 17 mil man, to like make the place really awesome, with all this radical market stuff going on, and like fine art is ok, but car stuff is rad, too and my fellow dudes want in on the car rally sales and investment stuff.

the dude has impressive management computer stuff experience, just awesome.

5 minutes ago, wilbil said:

yeah, that was, like, an awesome read about the dude, just awesome.

so, like, he needs another 17 mil man, to like make the place really awesome, with all this radical market stuff going on, and like fine art is ok, but car stuff is rad, too and my fellow dudes want in on the car rally sales and investment stuff.

the dude has impressive management computer stuff experience, just awesome.

make it rain money GIF

13 hours ago, shadroch said:

The website mentions checks. I didn't see anything about paypal. I would doubt they would eat the PP fees.

Most of your questions would be answered by their website. They have assets in the 20 million dollar range so they may lock in a book with a line of credit and then sell shares. I'm not sure but I imagine they would answer any questions you have.

As I have said, they have a pretty impressive management team. 

Makes sense (receiving cheques). A few groups on FB that have reverse engineered the raffle format have been stung with fractional purchases when someone pays using PayPal, isn't happy with the outcome (for whatever reason) and issues a chargeback. There's also been an instance of someone misrepresenting the "prize" so to speak, and that caused all sorts of headaches.

I’d like to dismiss this out of hand, but if owning a fractional share of a comic book is a harbinger of the apocalypse imagine what owning 100 percent of one says.  :devil:  Of course it’s not the owning of a comic that’s stupid. Never like others hogging all the cheddar.  

530BB45D-6271-4BAC-B0F1-F0E5E78D3B4D.jpeg