• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My experience with fractional ownership of comics: JIM #83 / $215,000
3 3

444 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, Angel of Death said:

I think that it's equally stupid to:

• Only buy comic books as an investment.
  • "Invest" into fractional pieces of comic books.

If you want to buy comic books, and also think/hope they'll increase in value? I think that's 'fine'. I just hate the idea of "investors" artificially inflating the value of comic books by treating them as $$$$$.

This might be the dumbest thing you've ever posted.

1 minute ago, valiantman said:

So, you agree that comic books can be worth more than cover price, but you said "I just hate the idea of "investors" artificially inflating the value of comic books by treating them as $$$$$."

Where do you draw the line between Amazing Fantasy #15 selling for 12-cents and Amazing Fantasy #15 selling for $1,000,000? Because somewhere in there, people are treating it as $$$$$.

Don't you get it?  Its fine if you make a profit, just as long you don't intend to make a profit.  Because heaven forbid a commodity gain value the "wrong" way.  :roflmao:

2 minutes ago, valiantman said:

So, you agree that comic books can be worth more than cover price, but you said "I just hate the idea of "investors" artificially inflating the value of comic books by treating them as $$$$$."

Where do you draw the line between Amazing Fantasy #15 selling for 12-cents and Amazing Fantasy #15 selling for $1,000,000? Because somewhere in there, people are treating it as $$$$$.

Supply and demand should be tied to the supply and demand of the product. If you're buying AF15 for $$$$$ reasons only, then you're not really demanding the product.

1 minute ago, mattn792 said:

Don't you get it?  Its fine if you make a profit, just as long you don't intend to make a profit.  Because heaven forbid a commodity gain value the "wrong" way.  :roflmao:

Uh oh, you said "commodity" in reference to a comic book.   :whatthe: The economists are coming, the economists are coming!

4 minutes ago, Angel of Death said:

Can't be that dumb if it's not easily refuted. (shrug)

For starters, your logic puts every dealer out of business.  

But debating you overall is pointless since you refuse to accept the fundamental truth that a large swath of comic books no longer serve their original purpose as readable entertainment and have 100% become investment instruments, whether one terms them as collectibles or commodities.  

Bagging on rallyrd is one thing; their business model leaves a lot to be desired.  Bagging on comic books as investments is just plain ignorance of economic reality.

5 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

For starters, your logic puts every dealer out of business.  

But debating you overall is pointless since you refuse to accept the fundamental truth that a large swath of comic books no longer serve their original purpose as readable entertainment and have 100% become investment instruments, whether one terms them as collectibles or commodities.  

Bagging on rallyrd is one thing; their business model leaves a lot to be desired.  Bagging on comic books as investments is just plain ignorance of economic reality.

That's not a fundamental truth; That's an outright lie.

You're conflating more than a few things, which deviates entirely from my post(s). If you just "invest" in comic books, then I'm sorry that I hurt your feelings. (shrug)

Edited by Angel of Death

3 hours ago, valiantman said:

"I'm not going to trust a company a thousand miles away in San Francisco that wants to charge me when I sell a comic book to a guy across town using their website.  No way, eBay. This will never work."

-People On The Internet In 1997

Unless you are quoting a specific person, using "" is total b.s.

23 minutes ago, Axelrod said:

This seems like something one should do on a lark with a few spare bucks because it sounds fun, rather than considering it a serious investment.  

$.02

Agreed.  I am the "most vocal" about RallyRd on the board, but I have less than 1% of my hobby funds in RallyRd.  If I lose it all, I've lost 1%.  It's more than 1% of the fun I'm having in the hobby right now though, so that's a good return just from an entertainment perspective.

18 hours ago, valiantman said:

Agreed.  I am the "most vocal" about RallyRd on the board, but I have less than 1% of my hobby funds in RallyRd.  If I lose it all, I've lost 1%.  It's more than 1% of the fun I'm having in the hobby right now though, so that's a good return just from an entertainment perspective.

I always knew you were a 1 Percenter.

33 minutes ago, ygogolak said:
19 hours ago, valiantman said:

I always knew you were a 1 Percenter.

Thanks, I think. hm