• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My experience with fractional ownership of comics: JIM #83 / $215,000
3 3

444 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, KCOComics said:

I never said you weren't a real collector. 

To the contrary, I always appreciate your posts and what you bring to these boards from a statistical stand point. 

RallyRd is an investment. It didn't take up any space on your shelves. You got an email saying you have $1k in AC1. You can't control when you sell it, you can't look at anything but they email...all you can do is hope it returns a profit. Which is what I do with stocks. 

In the mean time, you know that you've put some money into the stocks that you selected.  You enjoy owning those stocks.  When you see a headline about the company, you can think to yourself... "I own 0.000001% of that company" and if the company decides to go private before you're ready to sell, you'll take the cash they send you and move on.

All those statements apply to RallyRd. 

Comics, cards, cars, bats, jerseys, shoes, books, Declaration of Independence, Pokemon, etc.

I have had a CGC 3.5 X-Men #1 for five years.

When I hold my CGC 3.5 X-Men #1 in my hands, I think "this is an OK copy".

RallyRd has a CGC 9.4 X-Men #1 they made available two weeks ago.

When I hold my CGC 3.5 X-Men #1 in my hands, I think "this is an OK copy, and I own a little bit of a CGC 9.4".

That's the first "improvement" for X-Men #1 in my collection in the past 5 years, and it only cost me $20.

Edited by valiantman

3 minutes ago, valiantman said:

In the mean time, you know that you've put some money into the stocks that you selected.  You enjoy owning those stocks.  When you see a headline about the company, you can think to yourself... "I own 0.000001% of that company" and if the company decides to go private before you're ready to sell, you'll take the cash they send you and move on.

Comics, cards, cars, bats, jerseys, shoes, books, Declaration of Independence, Pokemon, etc.

I guess, this is the difference for me. I don't get excited about owning shares in certain companies. Investing is a tool. I pay attention, study, do my home work and try to make good decisions for my family. 

But I get 0 thrill out of anything but the return.  Knowing my 529 is performing so my kids can go to college is what I value. 

I do get a thrill out of comics. Completing runs, getting that big key or tracking down some rare book I've never seen before. That's my thrill. 

And if I had to guess, you really enjoy the statistical side to collecting.  So maybe you get more enjoyment out of owning pieces of comics because you enjoy trends, returns, and picking your spots.  

That's why I haven't been on the "it's dumb" band wagon. I've been on the "it's not for me, I need to hold and see and smell my comics" bandwagon. 

1 minute ago, KCOComics said:

I guess, this is the difference for me. I don't get excited about owning shares in certain companies. Investing is a tool. I pay attention, study, do my home work and try to make good decisions for my family. 

But I get 0 thrill out of anything but the return.  Knowing my 529 is performing so my kids can go to college is what I value. 

I do get a thrill out of comics. Completing runs, getting that big key or tracking down some rare book I've never seen before. That's my thrill. 

And if I had to guess, you really enjoy the statistical side to collecting.  So maybe you get more enjoyment out of owning pieces of comics because you enjoy trends, returns, and picking your spots.  

That's why I haven't been on the "it's dumb" band wagon. I've been on the "it's not for me, I need to hold and see and smell my comics" bandwagon. 

As my X-Men #1 example above demonstrates, I'm on the "let's have more wagons" wagon.

15 minutes ago, valiantman said:

You keep making the assertion in bold,  that people take “pleasure” in owning stocks, crypto, etc.

I can’t speak for others, but that’s not the case for me. Owning stocks, bonds, crypto, etc. has nothing to do with pleasure, enjoyment or pride. It’s simply a matter of “will this investment make me money?” and then I buy/sell accordingly.  

At the risk of being maligned as a ‘get-off-my-lawn’ oldster, I personally don’t think emotion should play a part in making investment decisions. Thus I’m leery of a company that tries to approach me from a nostalgia angle.  If they can demonstrate that they can make me more money than my other investments, then fine.  But coming at me with the approach of ‘own a piece of a collectible you could never afford on your own’ isn’t going to go anywhere with me. 

If you personally feel the need to have a “pleasure” or “enjoyment” component to your investing that’s fine. But I think it’s a mistake to assume that’s true across the board for everyone. 

edit: pretty much what KCOComics said, beat me to the submit

Edited by Number 6

3 minutes ago, valiantman said:

When I hold my CGC 3.5 X-Men #1 in my hands, I think "this is an OK copy, and I own a little bit of a CGC 9.4".

That's the first "improvement" for X-Men #1 in my collection in the past 5 years, and it only cost me $20.

You should sell me your 3.5 and buy more shares of the 9.4 🤔

Just now, Number 6 said:

If you personally feel the need to have a “pleasure” or “enjoyment” component to your investing that’s fine. But I think it’s a mistake to assume that’s true across the board for everyone. 

It's the next inevitable step for some of us.

The only way to own Action Comics #1 was a reprint for decades.  Sure, there are lots of reprints to choose from, but they're all 35+ years after the real thing.  The "holy grail" of comic book collecting, and any satisfaction that could come from owning it, was limited to dentists and druglords. (Maybe some legit people in between, but who really knows, right?) :grin:

Is there any value (money, satisfaction, pride, accomplishment) in owning a fraction of a real Action Comics #1?  I'd say it's definitely less than 100% and more than none.

If it's none for you... then you would likely be in the minority, since most people consider values above zero, any way you measure it... as more than zero.

3 minutes ago, KCOComics said:
8 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Expand  

You should sell me your 3.5 and buy more shares of the 9.4 🤔

I'd lose the first half of my sentence.  "This is an OK copy" works for me.  "This is an OK copy, and I own a little bit of a CGC 9.4" works better.

13 minutes ago, valiantman said:

It's the next inevitable step for some of us.

The only way to own Action Comics #1 was a reprint for decades.  Sure, there are lots of reprints to choose from, but they're all 35+ years after the real thing.  The "holy grail" of comic book collecting, and any satisfaction that could come from owning it, was limited to dentists and druglords. (Maybe some legit people in between, but who really knows, right?) :grin:

Is there any value (money, satisfaction, pride, accomplishment) in owning a fraction of a real Action Comics #1?  I'd say it's definitely less than 100% and more than none.

If it's none for you... then you would likely be in the minority, since most people consider values above zero, any way you measure it... as more than zero.

It seems to me that your equating “value” to points on a graph and trying to turn “pleasure” and “enjoyment” into a mathematical equation. 

Someone mentioned earlier that you seem to take a more statistical approach to the hobby, or that you definitely enjoy the statistical side of the hobby more than most. Based on your previous posts I think that’s a fair assessment. 

But that’s not me.  Whether I’m in the minority....well, I’m not going to presume to claim I know either way. 

It’s clear that we don’t share the same view of this subject and there seems to be little tolerance for that so I’ll bow out 

8 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

I think you know that I've always agreed with you that vintage collectables of all sorts absolutely represent an investable class of assets.  

However, the part I bolded is the problem in your argument.  You don't own any part of the actual book, your shares simply represent your portion of whatever the fair market value is determined to be at any given time.  If memory serves, someone previously pointed out that if Rally were to go under and wipe out all the shareholders in their assets, the shareholders have no underlying claim to any liquidation proceeds.  

Joe Pesci's speech in My Cousin Vinny about rebuilding a carburetor immediately comes to mind.

Ultimately, you're no more an owner of the book than the average nobody on the street who has never heard of RallyRd.  Plain and simple, its a play for profit.  And there's nothing wrong with.  No reason to pretend otherwise.

If that's all you see, I'm not an optometrist.

Edited by valiantman

7 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

I wish you well in your money making endeavors.

All of them?

I have about 1,234 different ways to make money.  Most of them are too boring to discuss, even though they're far more successful than "putting it in savings".

It should be obvious that this industry is in need of some serious shaking up... and I don't mean more expensive variants being printed tomorrow.

I don't mean that we need more millionaires to start collecting comics so that $50,000+ comics will have a future after the current owners who bought them at 10 cents die.

I mean that there are new industries based on digital ownership of pop culture art... which doesn't even exist.  https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2021/03/26/what-nft-art-beeple-sold-69-million-crypto-ethereum/7010716002/

Why not have an industry based on digital ownership of some of the most important pop culture art that does exist?

The moment it appears, all the people can say is "NOPE!  BIG NOPE!"

Yeah, that's not going to work for me.