• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My experience with fractional ownership of comics: JIM #83 / $215,000
3 3

444 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, ThothAmon said:

You’re missing my biggest issue. Trusting the companies and individuals who you are giving your money to.  It’s the smell not the touch fyi. 

Got it - you don't like that it's possible to do this project - legally - and that some companies and individuals have done so - legally - but you're really just being a "good neighbor" letting everyone know that the thing you don't like isn't worth liking because you never met a sleazier bunch of guys who you never met.

No laws against it... you're just looking out for everyone's best interests.  Like how comic shop owners are looking out for the best interests of their customers selling them the latest Ultra Rare Exclusive Venom #284 Third Printing With The Gold Foil that couldn't possibly ever be worth less than the $100 price tag on it right now, step right up, and get them while they last, this industry only has each other in mind.

Heaven forbid a bunch of guys would rather pool their money and own a true key issue.

That's heretical! 

P.S. The Platinum Foil 4th Prints will be in tomorrow.  Limited to 500 copies.  Just $100 each.  What better way could 500 people spend $50,000 in this industry? (shrug) 

Edited by valiantman

I think collectible slices make a lot sense, and it weird to me some of you don't get it. 

Yes it 100% for profit.  So what?

I would consider putting 10k into a piece of garbage like Action Comics #1 fund so I could possibly make some returns later because I have no interest in ever owning such trash in my collection. 

I can't physically touch my Apple stock, but I sure can touch my ASM #3 that my Apple stock profits just bought for me for free. :takeit:

Edited by NewWorldOrder

6 minutes ago, NewWorldOrder said:

I think comic book slices make a lot sense, and it weird to me some of you don't get it. 

Yes it 100% for profit.  So what?

I would consider putting 10k into a piece of garbage like Action Comics #1 fund so I could possibly make some returns later because I have no interest in ever owning such trash in my collection. 

Pizza slices make more sense.  At least I know what I'm eating.

If I were the company holding the books and selling the shares would this discussion even be happening?  It all comes down to "TRUST".  

I'm waiting for the Comic swaps so I can leverage up the Rallyd shares 8-10X.  I'm going to own that Action #1 on Margin

Edited by blazingbob

1 minute ago, blazingbob said:

Pizza slices make more sense.  At least I know what I'm eating.

If I were the company holding the books and selling the shares would this discussion even be happening?  It all comes down to "TRUST".  

Depends on where you ordered it from.

SD pizza is the worst in the nation.  

Experienced Comic Collectors:  MORE PEOPLE SHOULD COLLECT COMICS

New Collector:  I just paid $100 for a variant that came out last week, it's rare!

Experienced Comic Collectors:  THAT'S NOT GOOD - IT COULD BE WORTH $1 TOMORROW

New Collector:  I just paid $100 for a longbox of $1 books from the 1990s

Experienced Comic Collectors:  THAT'S NOT GOOD - THEY AREN'T WORTH $1 TODAY

New Collector:  I just paid $10,000 for a full collection that I bought from a guy locally

Experienced Comic Collectors:  THAT'S NOT GOOD - $10,000 COULD BUY A KEY ISSUE

New Collector:  I can't afford a key issue, is it possible to pool my money with other collectors like me?

Experienced Comic Collectors:  THAT'S NOT GOOD -  KEY ISSUES SHOULDN'T BE PURCHASED THAT WAY!

Any other advice?

Just now, valiantman said:

New Collector:  I just paid $100 for a variant that came out last week, it's rare!

New Collector:  I just paid $10,000 for a full collection that I bought from a guy locally

New Collector:  I can't afford a key issue, is it possible to pool my money with other collectors like me?

Experienced Comic Collectors:  THAT'S NOT GOOD -  KEY ISSUES SHOULDN'T BE PURCHASED THAT WAY!

Any other advice?

Yes, if you made any money and you are happy with what you are buying.  You are doing the right thing.

Just now, blazingbob said:
2 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Any other advice?

Expand  

You really need to put the pom pom's down.  

No problem, I'll lay my pom poms on my 1936 1st Superman prototype in comics that I own outright, while I wait for a way to put the same amount of money into Action Comics #1.

776100193_0916482001_12001.jpg.1a78bb450e969e62c74930908fcb0e53.jpg

... or does supporting changes in this industry while ALSO collecting some of the actual rarest comics of all time not make sense for anyone?

@speedcake +1

I've never believed comics were an investment. They are fun! Something to be read, looked at and held. Call it a fetish and feel free to pass judgment if you want. 

I was priced out of many big keys before I started collecting (AC1, Sup1, Tec27 to name a few) and that never bothered me. I couldn't afford them, I didn't buy then.

Would I like to own them? Sure.  But I don't want to own an email that says I own a factional share of them. I want possession.

This may be legal, it may prove to be a great way to make money, but don't get it confused with collecting.  You'll never see or hold your possession. Like all the whales my aunt adopted for me as a kid.... They weren't really my pets no matter what the paper said. 

12 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Got it - you don't like that it's possible to do this project - legally - and that some companies and individuals have done so - legally - but you're really just being a "good neighbor" letting everyone know that the thing you don't like isn't worth liking because you never met a sleazier bunch of guys who you never met.

Not accurate. It seems that the Metropolis boys are intimately involved with the comic book side of this. I have met them. My problem isn’t with them however. From what I’ve read the actual holders of the asset have a lower p/s basis than the retail shareholder.  These same holders may own some unknown percentage up to almost all of it. Their interests are vastly different than yours. All well and good when the tide is coming in ...

3 minutes ago, ThothAmon said:
26 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Not accurate. It seems that the Metropolis boys are intimately involved with the comic book side of this. I have met them. My problem isn’t with them however. From what I’ve read the actual holders of the asset have a lower p/s basis than the retail shareholder.  These same holders may own some unknown percentage up to almost all of it. Their interests are vastly different than yours. All well and good when the tide is coming in ...

Of course the actual holders of the asset have a lower price per share.  The steak is cheaper for the farmer than it is for the diner at a restaurant.  Same cow.

7 minutes ago, KCOComics said:

I was priced out of many big keys before I started collecting (AC1, Sup1, Tec27 to name a few) and that never bothered me. I couldn't afford them, I didn't buy then.

Would I like to own them? Sure.  But I don't want to own an email that says I own a factional share of them. I want possession.

Yes, because being a millionaire or eating ramen are the only two choices.  No one should even consider anything in between.

"Why don't these peasants just sell one of their summer homes in Naples and buy an Action Comics #1 if they want one so bad?  I have three of them!"

Three copies of Action Comics #1 or three summer homes in Naples?

"BOTH!"

2 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Yes, because being a millionaire or eating ramen are the only two choices.  No one should even consider anything in between.

There is a ton in between. 

I can't own a JIM83 9.0.  that's not realistic for me. I bought a 1.0. Upgraded to a 2.0. I hope to upgrade to a 3.0 and some day maybe I'll have 4.5. And maybe I won't, but I get to excersize my fetish by looking at every day. 

What makes collecting fun? It's the hunt, it's the work, the trades and deals.  This simply isn't collecting. I'm fine with the principal of what they are doing, but I'm a collector. I invest in funds and stocks and have fun with comics. 

Just now, KCOComics said:
10 minutes ago, valiantman said:

There is a ton in between. 

I can't own a JIM83 9.0.  that's not realistic for me. I bought a 1.0. Upgraded to a 2.0. I hope to upgrade to a 3.0 and some day maybe I'll have 4.5. And maybe I won't, but I get to excersize my fetish by looking at every day. 

What makes collecting fun? It's the hunt, it's the work, the trades and deals.  This simply isn't collecting. I'm fine with the principal of what they are doing, but I'm a collector. I invest in funds and stocks and have fun with comics. 

This is one row of my collection...

1337403212_slabvault1.jpg.568041940ba0cb47c59616cac64a6bd6.jpg

I would also like to have $1,000 worth of Action Comics #1.

I guess I'm not a real collector.

Just now, valiantman said:

This is one row of my collection...

1337403212_slabvault1.jpg.568041940ba0cb47c59616cac64a6bd6.jpg

I would also like to have $1,000 worth of Action Comics #1.

I guess I'm not a real collector.

I never said you weren't a real collector. 

To the contrary, I always appreciate your posts and what you bring to these boards from a statistical stand point. 

RallyRd is an investment. It didn't take up any space on your shelves. You got an email saying you have $1k in AC1. You can't control when you sell it, you can't look at anything but they email...all you can do is hope it returns a profit. Which is what I do with stocks.